Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

How to start with ISO process in project based team - Documentation

Hi,

I have been newly assigned the role of Quality Manager with zero experience in implementing ISO or any Quality standards. My experience in quality is doing audits on customer support tickets and have a System Administration background. Ours is a startup company where we focus on CRM Consulting, Marketing Automation and custom applications development. Management wants to get ISO certified and reading through some of the ISO related sites, I understand it is required that all processes need documenting. We use Scrum as Agile process framework. We have dedicated project teams with dedicated Project Managers for each client and most projects are short term projects with delivery time of 1 to 3 months. We use Assembla as project management tool.

My questions are :

1. How do I identify what processes need documentation ?
2. How should these be documented ? Any templates that would help me here?
3. How can I verify these documents will suffice ?
4. In regards to project documentation, since we used a project management tool and some project managers maintain minimal documents for their projects. How can I identify if these documents will be sufficient ?
5. How to get the management involved more in this process ?

I would appreciate your thoughtful insights.

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
Is your company an established company, or is it a start-up?

Oops - I see it's a start-up. Do you have any documentation yet?

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
First off, you need to get a copy of the standard (and which standard are you going for?). That is where you will find the requirements.

There's a ton of information already in the Cove so make frequent use of the search capabilities.

If your management has just said "go off and get certified and leave us alone" then that's pretty much indicating you're in for a bumpy ride. The standard has a good deal to say about management commitment. They need to be fully aware of and on board with what this means.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
As in any blog, it is hard to get answers to posts that require looooooong and involved answers. Suggest you piece meal your questions so you have a better chance of people engaging.
5. How to get the management involved more in this process ?
As for how to get management involved? As Yodon mentioned, if they think they should not be bothered with the implementation of a quality MANAGEMENT system standard, you easily realize how low in the totem pole quality belongs in their perception. And, based on previous experience, this tend to be an indication that they are only interested in a badge, a certificate, with no meaningful implementation of a system that caters to customers. For that, there are numerous certificate mills that will sell you the badge for a very low price.

Good luck.

Randy

Super Moderator
As in any blog, it is hard to get answers to posts that require looooooong and involved answers. Suggest you piece meal your questions so you have a better chance of people engaging.

As for how to get management involved? As Yodon mentioned, if they think they should not be bothered with the implementation of a quality MANAGEMENT system standard, you easily realize how low in the totem pole quality belongs in their perception. And, based on previous experience, this tend to be an indication that they are only interested in a badge, a certificate, with no meaningful implementation of a system that caters to customers. For that, there are numerous certificate mills that will sell you the badge for a very low price.

Good luck.
Bravo Sid!

Top Bottom