Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

How to Stop Packaging Choice Mistakes on a Form

NikkiQSM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello All -

We have come across the same "boo-boo" several times where the Logistics Manager circles the wrong packaging container choice on the Order Tracker.

Because of this mistake, Production is forced to repack the entire lot when the mistake is finally caught.

We use mainly plastic containers - but we have three customers who refuse to use the containers and want cardboard.

To make it more difficult, one of the customers that requires cardboard is just one location. The same customer, but 9 other locations have no problem with the plastic containers.

When I approached the manager about the mistakes of circling the wrong container, I got major back-lash and she claimed that she goes through so many order trackers a day that it is just going to end up happening.

I asked her if she had a list to remind her who gets cardboard and she said "No - it's all in here" and points to her head. :frust:

Thoughts....PLease?

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: How to stop Packaging Choice Mistake

Without really knowing the dynamics the personnel in your company...
Have you quantified how much time production is wasted in repackaging?
Does the production manager support you since it's production time wasted?

I would issue a corrective action based on recurrence of the problem and ask for actions to prevent recurrence and let the Logistics Manager know I'd be happy to help.

R

Reg Morrison

but we have three customers who refuse to use the containers and want cardboard.

To make it more difficult, one of the customers that requires cardboard is just one location. The same customer, but 9 other locations have no problem with the plastic containers.
Have a BIG RED STAMP with the word CARDBOARD created and make the person responsible for issuing the ORDER TRACKER stamping the document (as soon as it gets printed) for the 3 customers that require cardboard containers. All others will be packaged in plastic containers, no stamping needed.

Alternatively create a P/N for the cardboard containers and revise the kit, BOM or pick list for those customers with the P/N associated with cardboard containers.

Good luck.

B

Bjourne

Have a BIG RED STAMP with the word CARDBOARD created and make the person responsible for issuing the ORDER TRACKER stamping the document (as soon as it gets printed) for the 3 customers that require cardboard containers. All others will be packaged in plastic containers, no stamping needed.
Nice one! If I may add to this, why not include that RED STAMP-thing in the "for printed" version so when it's printed it will have the imprint red-CARDBOARD on it. Or maybe a color-coded paper for "cardboard" and "plastic"...

I

isoalchemist

Alternatively create a P/N for the cardboard containers and revise the kit, BOM or pick list for those customers with the P/N associated with cardboard containers.
Reg has the best solution as long as your customer doesn't centrally order for all the plants. Even then it would should be a benefit ?????????????

Last edited by a moderator:

NikkiQSM

Quite Involved in Discussions

Wow! Excellent ideas! I love the red stamp idea for sure. Thank you all for your input. I am going to present this right away :)

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Super Moderator

Hi,

If you want to do it the right way, it probably involves opening a formal Corrective Action (observe your SOPs). It's a recurring NC with non-negligible consequences. Your SOP probably includes provisions for sorting out what situations call for CA, however you could also run a quick documented risk evaluation to show that the CA is justified and necessary. That would make it really neat.

CA - you first need to formally identify the root cause. How to do that? Start asking "Why...?"s and document the Q&A. Dig as deep as necessary (every A leads to another potential Q), until you're confident you got to a solid bedrock. Only then brainstorm, analyse and select the remedies to eliminate the root cause. At that stage you could incorporate the ideas you got here. Finally, verify implementation and review/revisit in 3-6 months to verify effectiveness. Wrap up and present on the next QA conference you attend. :)

Cheers,
Ronen.

Top Bottom