How to submit a PPAP when a subcontractor is the sole manufacturer

fraktion

Involved In Discussions
Hello my cove friends.

Could anyone tell me how the PPAP submission works when a subcontractor is manufacturing the entire part, and my company essentially works as a distributer to the end customer?

I'm familiar with the requirements of a level 3 PPAP but unsure as to:

a) what documentation we can receive from the subcontractor (who doesn't have any experience with PPAP supply)
b) if the subcontractor supplied us a measurement report alone, how would we incorporate that in to our PPAP?
c) how would things like the PFMEA, Run at Rate, MSA etc be handled?
d) would we be expected to 100% inspect all incoming parts from the subcon?

Thank you for your help!

optomist1

A Sea of Statistics
Super Moderator
Hi Welcome...square 1...what industry are you in? What are you customer requirements re: APQP/PPAP/etc etc, what did your customer specify in its source package to your firm when soliciting bids for this product?

You need to provide or share this basic info first....the devil is in the details....

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
a) what documentation we can receive from the subcontractor (who doesn't have any experience with PPAP supply)
You should receive a complete PPAP package from the supplier, and should avoid dealing with suppliers who aren't familiar with the requirements.
b) if the subcontractor supplied us a measurement report alone, how would we incorporate that in to our PPAP?
You should be receiving much more than a dimensional report, but you can include it in your own PPAP package. Presumably you'll verify the dimensional requirements and in so doing create your own dimensional report. If that's the case, submit yours and not the supplier's.
c) how would things like the PFMEA, Run at Rate, MSA etc be handled?
Run@Rate is generally not a PPAP requirement. As for the other PPAP elements, they are the responsibility of the supplier.
d) would we be expected to 100% inspect all incoming parts from the subcon?
No, unless that's what you would do ordinarily. Follow the PPAP requirements for dimensional reports.

Top Bottom