How to submit PPAP without IMDS

Hello..
Need advise..

I need to submit PPAP to my customer, but now i'm stuck as our supplier cannot submit IMDS due to component supply not automotive grade...
Is there any way i can submit PPAP(PSW) without IMDS or material reporting?

is this violate any rule/regulation because we use non automotive part for automotive although my customer approve it?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Emmyd

Involved In Discussions
IMDS is a requirement of the PPAP. I don't see a way around getting a PPAP approved without an IMDS. IMDS is used for products that are not necessarily "automotive grade", that really isn't a thing, in my opinion. The supplier should be able to enter the information into the system, whether or not the material is "automotive grade". You and your customer would need to approve the IMDS.

Good luck!

Emmyd

Involved In Discussions
Your customer can waive any ppap requirement. IMDS can be a useless exercise for many things.
faiz could try this. However, in the PPAP AIAG manual, reporting of material/substance composition is required, via IMDS or other customer-specified system or method. I don't know how faiz's customer could get their PPAP approved to their customer (depending on how far down the tiers faiz is) without an approved IMDS. IMDS is something to cover lots of rears if something comes up down the road. You may find it useless, but there are many people who do find it useful, even as showing due diligence was done.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
faiz could try this. However, in the PPAP AIAG manual, reporting of material/substance composition is required, via IMDS or other customer-specified system or method. I don't know how faiz's customer could get their PPAP approved to their customer (depending on how far down the tiers faiz is) without an approved IMDS. IMDS is something to cover lots of rears if something comes up down the road. You may find it useless, but there are many people who do find it useful, even as showing due diligence was done.
My guess is that thousands of PPAPs are submitted to customers every day without IMDS information. Many, if not most, customers will accept the standard material test report, which doesn't affect anyone's rear if the required information is included.

Emmyd

Involved In Discussions
My guess is that thousands of PPAPs are submitted to customers every day without IMDS information. Many, if not most, customers will accept the standard material test report, which doesn't affect anyone's rear if the required information is included.
Then you would extremely lucky to have successfully submitted PPAP's without this, Jim. In my 10 years in automotive and approximately 1000 PPAP submissions, I have always been required to submit an IMDS with a PPAP. Whether it was to an OEM or to a tier one, this was a requirement. That has been my experience across the board. If someone else has different experience, bless them - perhaps they would be willing to speak to their experience. In regards to the covering of rears - I'm speaking to the fact that if there are known toxic chemicals in a material composition, and the customer approves the IMDS with this condition, then one's company should be less liable in litigious society. Risk averse, right?

I'm trying to offer advice based on the known requirements and my experiences in the automotive industry, not belittle anyone or give advice that I know to be not true. I hope that faiz is able to get away with not having to submit IMDS - I wish them luck.

Edited to specify this AIAG requirement is for Submission to Level 2 & 3 PPAP's; retained information for Level 1 & 4.

Last edited:

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I would just point out that the Warrant specifically asks: "Has customer-required Substances of Concern information been reported?" Gives options of yes, no, or N/A. Then provides for "submitted by IMDS or other customer format."

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Then you would extremely lucky to have successfully submitted PPAP's without this, Jim. In my 10 years in automotive and approximately 1000 PPAP submissions, I have always been required to submit an IMDS with a PPAP.
I would have a hard time characterizing my automotive experience as "lucky," but I can say that for nine years I was the primary reviewer of PPAPs for new model-year parts for a vehicle OEM. I reviewed some 6,000+ submissions in that time, and there wasn't any IMDS information in any of them, because it wasn't a requirement. This is apart from years of experience with automotive work as a supplier.

Edited to specify this AIAG requirement is for Submission to Level 2 & 3 PPAP's; retained information for Level 1 & 4.
Level 4 PPAPs as submitted contain whatever the customer specifies must be submitted. Even level 1 and 2 PPAPs require submission of a PSW, wherein the IMDS information is included.

thanks for everyone feedback..
additional info our company is tier 3..

we will try to submit the PSW without IMDS ID and put N/A for "Has customer-required Substances of Concern information been reported?". let see what our customer respond.
this is my 1st automotive project and difficult for me to handle as another supplier that supply non automotive component able to submit IMDS. Only 1 supplier wont provide IMDS.

My concern is we violate any PPAP or IATF rules...

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
thanks for everyone feedback..
additional info our company is tier 3..

we will try to submit the PSW without IMDS ID and put N/A for "Has customer-required Substances of Concern information been reported?". let see what our customer respond.
this is my 1st automotive project and difficult for me to handle as another supplier that supply non automotive component able to submit IMDS. Only 1 supplier wont provide IMDS.

My concern is we violate any PPAP or IATF rules...
Rather than submitting on a guess, you should ask your customer what's required.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Reasons to submit a new PPAP or notify the customer APQP and PPAP 3
N How to deal with catalog parts suppliers who refuse to submit PPAP documents? APQP and PPAP 0
B Should I Request/Submit a PPAP from/to a Supplier/Customer for only Repackaging Parts APQP and PPAP 7
L 20 days to submit PPAP APQP and PPAP 9
S Guidance to prepare and submit a Level 3 PPAP to a Customer APQP and PPAP 6
N Supplier PPAP - How many parts should they submit? APQP and PPAP 6
A What is PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) Why submit it and/with PSW APQP and PPAP 2
Q PPAP - How do you submit PPAP documentation for multiple routes? APQP and PPAP 10
L PPAP Part Supplied to Multiple Plants - Submit another PPAP or PSW to the new plants? APQP and PPAP 6
T Do They Submit PPAP with a Uniform PSW from Customer? APQP and PPAP 7
M How to do a PPAP Plan Submission - What do I submit? APQP and PPAP 4
G Who must submit the PPAP - Multiple suppliers APQP and PPAP 15
D I have been instructed by a customer to submit a Target Chart with a PPAP Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
R How many samples do we submit for PPAP? APQP and PPAP 2
C When to submit a new PPAP? Colored resin pre-blended to blending it in-house APQP and PPAP 9
B Need to submit level 3 PPAP - New or Multiple Presses - Injection Molding QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 4
D Must a Subcontractor submit PPAP APQP and PPAP 2
B PPAP and the need to re-submit - Engineering change to a single component part QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
gunnyshore Adding a new facility - do I need to submit an amendment to the MDL or MDEL, or both? Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
D Does Manufacture can submit CE mark application under MDD with NB for his New product after May 2020? EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Informational TGA presentation: How to submit an effective good manufacturing practice clearance application Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Watchcat EU Certification - What do you submit to an NB EU Medical Device Regulations 5
B Submit a 510(k) with a Predicate cleared but not Listed US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 9
L 510k exemption process - Do you still need to submit technical dossier? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
I Where to submit Adverse Events Reports in Europe EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Ronen E FDA releases new draft guidance on when to submit a 510(k) for device modification Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
B Submit a Special 510(k) or "Documentation by our own" 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
J Can we submit data with Special 510(k)? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
A Using Regulations.gov to Submit Comments on FDA Guidance Documents Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
E When to submit a Technical File for a Class IIb Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 3
P Do we need to submit Special 510K for a Blood Glucose System? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
D Customer will not submit Purchase Orders - System for ISO 9001 Compliance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
L Can we submit an AS9102 if we are not AS9100 certified? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
I Where do we submit the FAA Preapplication forms? Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 1
O Medical Device Registration in EU - Which Ministry to submit Technical File? EU Medical Device Regulations 9
S How to Submit ISO/TS 16949 & ISO14001 Certificates to HMMA IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
W Submit MDR for a device cleared by FDA but not sold in US? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
P Part Submission Form - Need to submit PSW only once? APQP and PPAP 5
M If I update a DFMEA do I need to submit to my Customer? FMEA and Control Plans 7
C When to submit a 510(k)? After the DMR (Device Master Record) is finished? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
A Should I submit the entire copy of my software in a 510(k) submission?? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
Howard Atkins Is there a time frame for CBs to submit the TS 16949 Audit Report? Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
J What is the time limit for an auditor to respond to NCR's and submit audit report? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
shimonv Deciding When to Submit a 510(k) for a Change to an Existing Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 17
sagai New Draft Guidance - When to Submit a 510(k) for a Change to an Existing Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
B Deciding when to submit a Special 510(k) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 10
S How to locate a Sponsor in Australia to submit Product Approval Applications by TGA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
R In 510k application do we submit documents showing compliance with 21CFRPart820 Other US Medical Device Regulations 12
P Does our company need to be certified in order to submit a 510k Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
C How to Submit an Expansion of Claims 510(k)? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9