How To Tell My Boss I Have Too Much To Do?

T

tomjess

How do I???

I am trying to write our Quality Manual and Work Instructions, how do I tell my boss I have not time to do any other work in the Quality department, we are getting audited in June this year and I am still way behind.

It must be polite

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Admin
This is a real common problem and the first test of management commitment and implementation of resources.
How big is your team?
What are you not going to be able to do?
Tell him to check in here

One man show?

Implementation of ISO should never be a "one man show". My question is why are you writing the work instructions? This stuff should be written by the folks who are responsible for implementing it. Too many times the boss drops it on the quality manager's desk and says "do this". Every management personnel should have some role.

As Howard said, have the boss check out the Cove!

R

Randy Benedict

Great responses,

Does anybody want to answer the question???

Go to you boss and inform him/her of the situation.

R

Randy Benedict

I surely can't tell you "how" to approach your supervisor because you feel overworked.

Do they like one on one?
Do they like memos?
Do they like the grapevine?

How did you get in the position of being overworked in the first place?

What type of plan is in place for compliance and where do you fit in the plan?

Did you agree to the plan?

What are your other duties.

Talk to them, have your time data avaiable, prioritize your activities and let management make the decision. If the decision is not to your liking start looking for a new career.

M

M Greenaway

I guess we all get worked piled and piled on top of us until we finally have to say stop.

When I am given another task I always ask when it is required by, consider my current load, and then say whether it is possible or not there and then. I guess it is just good 'contract review'.

This can be done very politely, so long as you can quantify your work load (even if it is a best guesstimate) he cannot argue, and will have to get more resource if he wants it any earlier else it just wont happen - dont be defensive or offensive, just state the facts.

WALLACE

Quite Involved in Discussions
Delegate and make it a team effort.

Tomjess,
Why don't you speak directly to your boss and ask for permission to delegate duties, these delegated duties shall infuse (I like this word) the team effort of your Quality initiative and strategy. the rest shall fall into place and the balance that you require shall indeed be seen to be effective.
Why don't you present an "Action plan" and refrain from presenting a proposal, proposals are reactive by nature however, on the other hand "Action plans" are pro- active by nature and require "Action" and not Consideration.
Wallace.:thedeal:

Show the alternatives.

I am trying to write our Quality Manual and Work Instructions, how do I tell my boss I have not time to do any other work in the Quality department, we are getting audited in June this year and I am still way behind.
One good response when you have a full workload and someone adds to it is: "Ok, I can do that, but it means I'll have to drop something else. What should I drop?"

/Claes

R

Randy Stewart

Over Extended

I have found that by using a system like Microsoft Project (it's the one we use, not plugging it as the only source) I can keep my boss informed of scheduling conflicts, resource issues, etc. By showing a time frame of what is due and when and an outline of what must be done to accomplish the task, it has been fairly easy to show when I'm over booked. The hours do not have to be exact, but by now you should have an idea of how much time it takes to write these documents. Plug the numbers in, if you're like most of us you'll see it requires a 30 hour day!!!!!

:smokin:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B How do I tell my boss to write neatly without offending her? Career and Occupation Discussions 8
M How do I tell my boss I'm not qualified to do Internal Audits? Internal Auditing 32
M Informational Some things the EU MDR 2017/745 does not tell you, but you may need to know to comply with it effectively – Part 1 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
G Can anyone tell me about Tooling FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 3
O Which is better - Quietly quit using a supplier or tell supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 11
R Can anyone tell me requirements standards for insufflator? Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
C Quick - Tell me everything you know about TS 16949! LOL IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
V Tell me about AS9015 Requirement for the delegation of Product Verification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
M Tell me about Benchmarking Benchmarking 4
N How can you tell if Flame Retardant "kicks off" in plastic? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
R Can anybody tell me about p & np chart? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
Jim Wynne Do you have an e-reader? Tell us about it Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 16
F Can you tell me if this table is correct? Gage R&R Problems Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
T What does the Gage R&R results tell about my Accept/Reject Decisions? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
C Can SEM or other methods tell if reballed Solder spheres are Leaded or RoHS Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Can somebody tell me about Lithium Ion Battery pack related standards Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
1 How can you tell that Sample Data represents the Population Six Sigma 23
S What to tell your Employees prior to an Audit General Auditing Discussions 21
1 How I can tell whether or not my QMS is MDD compliant EU Medical Device Regulations 4
N Score One for the Team - I had to ball up and tell the bosses Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
C To tell or not to tell. Internal Auditing 32
L SCAR (Supplier Corrective Acton Request) Responses - How much do you tell? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
H Can you tell me a suitable "tooling" for Caliper Calibration - ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 16
A AS9100 Implementation software to tell each of us all about AS9100 requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
S Could someone tell me what are the results of a Gage R&R & how to interpret it? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
Jim Wynne Another way to tell that you've got too much money Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 16
A Tell me how the APQP process is followed - What are the steps it includes APQP and PPAP 2
S Please tell me how to start doing an FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 6
kmyers Implementing ISO 9001 - I need it all! Please tell me the bare bones! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 27
Wes Bucey When do we tell customers and regulators we have a problem? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 9
G AMS 2750 - Tell me what troubles, specifically, you have had with AMS 2750 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
B Tell me How to Write a Quality Manual Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 32
K Tell me why I should no longer reference MIL STD 105E? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 16
M Show us what you make or Tell us what you do! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 58
S Tell Me All About PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) APQP and PPAP 7
F Tell me about Layered Process Audits (LPA) Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 2
I Tell me about Documentation Systems Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
P Who can tell me the difference between TPS (Toyota Production System) and Lean? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
P Kaizen Blitz - Who can tell me how to do Kaizen Blitz? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 9
C Gage R&R study definition - Results for GRR is .0005 - What does this number tell me? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
Marc How do you tell which car is more American? World News 0
J What is required to tell customers after Audit where nonconformances are found IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
J Tell me about the 18th ABBE Principle General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Marc Execs tell regulators Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) Costs exceed Benefits World News 0
M Definition DCX - Can someone tell me what is DCX stands for? DaimlerChrysler? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
ScottK How to tell the difference between 303 and 316 Stainless Steel Bar Stock? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
A Can anyone tell how do we do inprocess inspection of raw materials Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
F AS 9110 Accreditation - Can anyone tell me what to expect? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
B VDA 4902 - Can anyone tell me what this is? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
Marc Baseball Fan? Microsoft will tell you which parts of a game are 'exciting' Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2