How To Tell My Boss I Have Too Much To Do?

T

tomjess

How do I???

I am trying to write our Quality Manual and Work Instructions, how do I tell my boss I have not time to do any other work in the Quality department, we are getting audited in June this year and I am still way behind.

It must be polite

Thanks

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
This is a real common problem and the first test of management commitment and implementation of resources.
How big is your team?
What are you not going to be able to do?
Tell him to check in here

D

db

One man show?

Implementation of ISO should never be a "one man show". My question is why are you writing the work instructions? This stuff should be written by the folks who are responsible for implementing it. Too many times the boss drops it on the quality manager's desk and says "do this". Every management personnel should have some role.

As Howard said, have the boss check out the Cove!

R

Randy Benedict

Great responses,

Does anybody want to answer the question???

Go to you boss and inform him/her of the situation.

R

Randy Benedict

I surely can't tell you "how" to approach your supervisor because you feel overworked.

Do they like one on one?
Do they like memos?
Do they like the grapevine?

How did you get in the position of being overworked in the first place?

What type of plan is in place for compliance and where do you fit in the plan?

Did you agree to the plan?

What are your other duties.

Talk to them, have your time data avaiable, prioritize your activities and let management make the decision. If the decision is not to your liking start looking for a new career.

M

M Greenaway

I guess we all get worked piled and piled on top of us until we finally have to say stop.

When I am given another task I always ask when it is required by, consider my current load, and then say whether it is possible or not there and then. I guess it is just good 'contract review'.

This can be done very politely, so long as you can quantify your work load (even if it is a best guesstimate) he cannot argue, and will have to get more resource if he wants it any earlier else it just wont happen - dont be defensive or offensive, just state the facts.

W

WALLACE

Delegate and make it a team effort.

Tomjess,
Why don't you speak directly to your boss and ask for permission to delegate duties, these delegated duties shall infuse (I like this word) the team effort of your Quality initiative and strategy. the rest shall fall into place and the balance that you require shall indeed be seen to be effective.
Why don't you present an "Action plan" and refrain from presenting a proposal, proposals are reactive by nature however, on the other hand "Action plans" are pro- active by nature and require "Action" and not Consideration.
Wallace.:thedeal:

Show the alternatives.

I am trying to write our Quality Manual and Work Instructions, how do I tell my boss I have not time to do any other work in the Quality department, we are getting audited in June this year and I am still way behind.
One good response when you have a full workload and someone adds to it is: "Ok, I can do that, but it means I'll have to drop something else. What should I drop?"

/Claes

R

Randy Stewart

Over Extended

I have found that by using a system like Microsoft Project (it's the one we use, not plugging it as the only source) I can keep my boss informed of scheduling conflicts, resource issues, etc. By showing a time frame of what is due and when and an outline of what must be done to accomplish the task, it has been fairly easy to show when I'm over booked. The hours do not have to be exact, but by now you should have an idea of how much time it takes to write these documents. Plug the numbers in, if you're like most of us you'll see it requires a 30 hour day!!!!!

:smokin:

Top Bottom