How to understand IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.2.1 - Traceability

jelly1921

Quite Involved in Discussions
The purpose of traceability is to support identification of clear start and stop points for product received by the customer or in the field that may contain quality and/or safety-related nonconformities.

Where is the start and stop points? In the organization site? or supply chain?

The second part the sentence: does it mean "The purpose of traceability is to support identification in the field that may contain quality and/or safety-related nonconformities" ?

Thanks

Jelly

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

QualitySpirit

Involved In Discussions
Hi, My guess for start and stop points would be in time frame or manufacturing lots. I think when a specific problem in products is found either at customers or in the field, the subject of highest interest would be from what lot number (Start point) to what lot number (Stop point) the NC products are in so that they can contain the problem correctly.

jelly1921

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi, My guess for start and stop points would be in time frame or manufacturing lots. I think when a specific problem in products is found either at customers or in the field, the subject of highest interest would be from what lot number (Start point) to what lot number (Stop point) the NC products are in so that they can contain the problem correctly.
The start and stop points could be individual parts which have individual identification serialized.

julsbear

Involved In Discussions
Usually the traceability would be through the supply chain. Keep a record of your supplier's lot number(s) that are used to make your lots. This works well with one or a few vital materials that go into your product. If you have a fastener that is a minor component yet is important because it holds your product together that you buy a lot of and it is used in multiple products, good luck!

Last edited:

maggylu168

Starting to get Involved
The question depends on how big or risk estimation the nonconformity can be in your organization. Therefore the definition of corresponding traceability should be pre-planned to the level that the impact scope or q'ty can be contained.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J IATF 16949 Clause 9.3.2.1 - How to understand "measures" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Please Recommend books that explain how to understand IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J How to understand the word "include" in IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J How to understand IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.6.1.1 - Process Controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L How to understand the clause 6 Planning of ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
L How to understand the term 3.1.21 'Servicing' and the clause 5.7.1.2 'Servicing' of API Spec Q1? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 16
sutie How to understand VDA 6.3 2016 P4.1 VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 6
Ajit Basrur Need help to understand HIPAA requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
H Embedded Software - I don't understand that Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
J Please help me understand what a process is ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
S Trying to understand 7.2.1(d) of ISO 13485 - Medical Device User Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Help me understand how to conduct a Chi Square Test Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S Informational Please help this newbie understand ISO 9001 Work Instructions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 44
F Help me understand the ANOVA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M Kindly help me to understand MSA Acceptance Level Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
T Help me understand how to define Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 40
N Help me understand the ISO section 7.5.2 from API Q1 perspective Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
A Help me understand the applicability of 21 CFR Part 820.198 (Customer Complaints) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D Pls hlep me understand the "Total Anaerobic Plate Count" Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
A How to understand the source of variability and "stream-to-stream variation" Six Sigma 8
K Training the absolute beginner to understand AQL Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
R How to understand the exception of IEC 60601 sub-clause 8.11.5 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
B I want to understand the ISO certification process. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Reference to understand ISO9001 Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
N Owner of Company Doesn't Understand Corrective Action.... Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
R How to understand the IEC 60601 50 ms limit? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
L Fourier Analysis for NVH - Reference info to understand the Fourier Analysis method General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R How to understand the "full scale peak-to-valley output" mentioned in IEC 60601-2-27 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
A Help Engineers understand the differences between Bill of Materials and Routers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
G Numbers that will help us understand what the Cost of Rework is Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
Z How to understand Processes, Procedures and Documented Procedures Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
G Newbie in IMDS - Please help me understand what I have to do RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
J Knowledge of CAR/PAR Procedures - Should the entire organization know/understand? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K General Term for Inspection Process of Sample Parts that everyone can understand Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
B ISO 9001:2008 - Can any one help me to understand this paragraph? Clause 8.3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
Z Don't quite understand interpretation of ISO17025: 2005 clause 1.4 and 1.2 ISO 17025 related Discussions 13
L What's the best way to understand IEC 60601-1 standards IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
J How to understand NOTE 2 in the ISO 9000 definition of defect? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Please help us to understand clause 5.5.2 of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q An Engineer that does not understand gage R&R? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 17
D Can Someone help me to understand....... Imported Legacy Blogs 3
B Books to Understand FMEA Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 5
Gert Sorensen Upper Management Pay - I seriously don't understand this Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 30
B Games to understand SPC concepts - Variation, Tampering, (Deming funnel experiment) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
O ANOVA Analysis - Trying to understand MSA analysis- Please review my spreadsheet Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 22
H How to understand "Monitoring the Process"? "Measurement" of the Process? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
D New to PPAP and APQP - Don't really understand what all of it means APQP and PPAP 7
C I need to understand gage R&R - University Instruments Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
ccochran Quality Lessons from the Field - The need to understand your true costs The Reading Room 18
Wes Bucey Anybody understand this? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22