SBS - The best value in QMS software

How to understand Processes, Procedures and Documented Procedures

Z

zerodefectss

Hi
Here is a difficult question for me. I am looking forward to your help.
This difficulty is how to understand the difference between 'process,procedure and documented procedure". Ho, there is a more difficult question than the above, it is how to use these three concepts or principles or ideas within the organization. Looking forward to your posts.Everything as your wish!:eek:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Re: How to understand process,procedure and documented procedure

Hii and welcome to the cove.
I will try and give you simple sentences taken from the standards.
1. Any activity that receives inputs and converts them to outputs can be considered as a process. (just imagine various examples)
These inputs can be materials, instructions, tools, instruments, ...
2. Many times the output of one process is input to an other process (just imagine various examples)
Do you see the word 'Convert' there in the statement ~~~
This convert is the activity that is done on the input (may be material) using other inputs (may be instructions, tools, etc) and HOW this activity has to be done is the procedure.
When this procedure is documented, it becomes documented procedure.
In sense this documented procedure will be controlled per the clause in ISO 9001 4.2.3.
This documented procedure as you can see is also a part of the input used when i said instructions.
Did I make some meaning to you ?
Do come back ~~~

harry

Super Moderator
Re: How to understand process, procedure and documented procedure

I'll try it in Chinese (simplified)

Process - 过程
Procedure - 程序
Documented Procedure - 书面程序

Z

zerodefectss

Re: How to understand process,procedure and documented procedure

1. Any activity that receives inputs and converts them to outputs can be considered as a process.
Thanks! Then do we can understand that one activity may see as a PROCESS, and many related activities may also see a big PROCESS, just like the title from ISO 9001 system Figure1--Model of Process Based Quality Management System.

This convert is the activity that is done on the input
and HOW this activity has to be done is the procedure.
OK! That is to say that the core of procedure is HOW, and the core of PROCESS is INPUT and OUTPUT.

BTW, Can we think of that one procedure may includes many processes.

When this procedure is documented, it becomes documented procedure..
In a word, in fact, their core are PROCESS APPROACH

This documented procedure as you can see is also a part of the input used when i said instructions.
Hi, The instruction you mentioned is very interesting for me.
sometime or some condition, one instruction may also is a process or procedure or documented procedure, is ti right?

Again, the most important is how to apply them.
We all know,instructions are for workers or operators. Documented procedures are for middle management

In addition, PROCESS is a kind of thinking method. it is the core of ISO 9000.:lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zerodefectss

Re: How to understand process, procedure and documented procedure

I'll try it in Chinese (simplified)

Process - 过程
Procedure - 程序
Documented Procedure - 书面程序
Hi.
I am pleasure to continually discuss with you on the above.
My questions are:
a PROCESS show what form in our works;
a PROCEDURE show what document or media or nothing;
we all know a DOCUMENTED PROCEDURE show a document.
BTW,what are their essential differences?
Again, the most important is how to use them in our work.
Good luck!:agree:

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: How to understand Process, Procedure and Documented Procedures

Everyone needs to quit guessing and just use the well known and specific definitions that are given in ISO 9000:2005. ISO 9000:2005 exists for a purpose and peolep need to quit bypassing it because the only result is confusion.

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions

Everyone needs to quit guessing and just use the well known and specific definitions that are given in ISO 9000:2005. ISO 9000:2005 exists for a purpose and peolep need to quit bypassing it because the only result is confusion.
Randy, I completely agree with you with regards to using the ISO 9000 definitions. The problem is that some of these definitions are a little too 'bald' for some people to interpret.

I suspect this is the case with this poster - s/he may or may not have read the definitions but it is translating these into something meaningful that causes difficulties.

Z

zerodefectss

Thanks!This post is very meaningful and very interesting. Do you think so?
Our ISO works have to have some specific definitions in ISO 9000 standard to some special concept, if not, this world will be a confusion.

You are right! "to quit bypassing", the bypassing may is a kind of sofistry,but it expresses a helpfull information that this world is complex in a sense. I think we don't need to expensive debate centain concept in our work, but we should take into account these concept link to the context or the whole standard or the management system documents.

we should focus on their application in specific work, is it right?
I found a interesting thing, it is the definition on HUMAN. In chinese, HUMAN's definition is about that HUMAN is a senior animal that it can make and use tools. Dear sir! would you like to tell me its definition in English. I alway feel its definition is very interesting!

In fact, I focus on their application in our work. We know PDCA is a good thinking way. So, the application of PDCA and PROCESS and PROCEDURE is how to do in our work.

One definition or a knowledge or a standard, if they get no a good application, then they are only a piece of paper!:mad:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Help me understand how to define Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 40
lanley liao How to understand correctly the requirements of API monogram products Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
lanley liao How to correctly understand the bullet list d) of 6.3 Analysis of Data for API Spec Q1 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 7
lanley liao How to understand this bulleted list from API 600 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 0
A Tips and Tricks to understand ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
lanley liao How to understand the clause 6 Planning of ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
lanley liao How to understand the term 3.1.21 'Servicing' and the clause 5.7.1.2 'Servicing' of API Spec Q1? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 19
sutie How to understand VDA 6.3 2016 P4.1 VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 6
Ajit Basrur Need help to understand HIPAA requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
H Embedded Software - I don't understand that Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
J IATF 16949 Clause 9.3.2.1 - How to understand "measures" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Please help me understand what a process is ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
J Please Recommend books that explain how to understand IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
J How to understand the word "include" in IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J How to understand IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.6.1.1 - Process Controls IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J How to understand IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.2.1 - Traceability IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
S Trying to understand 7.2.1(d) of ISO 13485 - Medical Device User Training ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M Help me understand how to conduct a Chi Square Test Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
S Informational Please help this newbie understand ISO 9001 Work Instructions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 44
F Help me understand the ANOVA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
M Kindly help me to understand MSA Acceptance Level Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
N Help me understand the ISO section 7.5.2 from API Q1 perspective Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
A Help me understand the applicability of 21 CFR Part 820.198 (Customer Complaints) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
D Pls hlep me understand the "Total Anaerobic Plate Count" Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
A How to understand the source of variability and "stream-to-stream variation" Six Sigma 8
K Training the absolute beginner to understand AQL Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
R How to understand the exception of IEC 60601 sub-clause 8.11.5 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
B I want to understand the ISO certification process. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
M Reference to understand ISO9001 Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 1
N Owner of Company Doesn't Understand Corrective Action.... Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 12
R How to understand the IEC 60601 50 ms limit? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
L Fourier Analysis for NVH - Reference info to understand the Fourier Analysis method General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
R How to understand the "full scale peak-to-valley output" mentioned in IEC 60601-2-27 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
A Help Engineers understand the differences between Bill of Materials and Routers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
G Numbers that will help us understand what the Cost of Rework is Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
G Newbie in IMDS - Please help me understand what I have to do RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 4
J Knowledge of CAR/PAR Procedures - Should the entire organization know/understand? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
K General Term for Inspection Process of Sample Parts that everyone can understand Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10
B ISO 9001:2008 - Can any one help me to understand this paragraph? Clause 8.3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
Z Don't quite understand interpretation of ISO17025: 2005 clause 1.4 and 1.2 ISO 17025 related Discussions 13
L What's the best way to understand IEC 60601-1 standards IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
J How to understand NOTE 2 in the ISO 9000 definition of defect? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
R Please help us to understand clause 5.5.2 of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Q An Engineer that does not understand gage R&R? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 17
D Can Someone help me to understand....... Imported Legacy Blogs 3
B Books to Understand FMEA Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 5
G Upper Management Pay - I seriously don't understand this Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 30
B Games to understand SPC concepts - Variation, Tampering, (Deming funnel experiment) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
O ANOVA Analysis - Trying to understand MSA analysis- Please review my spreadsheet Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 22
H How to understand "Monitoring the Process"? "Measurement" of the Process? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14