How to update from Procedure to Process - ISO 9001:2000 to ISO 9001:2008

K

kwbang

Hello All of Cove members,

I work for the small-sized company manufacturing kind of controllers for factory automation. (maybe you could know: PLC, Drive, IO) :D
Recently, We have changed ISO 9001: 2008 from ISO 9001: 2000. At this point, I need to update our QMS with more process concept saying process approach in ISO standard. In fact, I am confused how much level I am supposed to do for process build-up. In other way to speaking, I don't know exactly what is the right way in this small company where the management wants me to do easygoing, limited resource and no impact or changes as possible. Although I thought that I need to follow the basic rule of process improvement or making things, as of now, I am getting to move toward making process hierarchy first and just making or adding process map and tutle diagram at the major procedures that could be considered ad key processes in general. Of course, I am not feeling good way.. but no participations and no time as well, I do my self based on current procedures.

What do you think of this simple way of process build-up?
And, what is your recommendations for me?

- Thank you. And have a great day!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello kwbang, and welcome to the Cove :bigwave:
I am confused how much level I am supposed to do for process build-up.
If I understand this right, I think you are on the right track when you plan to add process maps to the procedures for the major processes. Just don't forget an overall description (You can put it in your manual) of the interaction of those processes.

Fortunately this does not require any big changes in your written procedures. As for the level of detail, clause 4.2.1, note 2 in the standard allows you to determine how detailed you should make it due to:

a) the size of organization and type of activities,
b) the complexity of processes and their interactions, and
c) the competence of personnel.

In a small company you should be able to make it rather uncomplicated.

/Claes

R

Richard Pike

Recently, We have changed ISO 9001: 2008 from ISO 9001: 2000. At this point, I need to update our QMS with more process concept saying process approach in ISO standard.

That change you mention is not as a requirement of ISO 9001 2008 changes from 2000 version.

For 2008 upgrade, simply do a word search for 2000 and replace with 2008 // oh and in doc control, ensure you now register the latest 2008 version.

Dont use 2008 as an excuse for extensive work on your system. If you want to improve your System, then that's great, but do so under the requirement for continuous improvement of 2000 & 2008 - because there is simply NO difference between the two that could result in any non-conformance.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

Based on my time doing internal auditing I can tell you the thing I have most sorely missed is flow charting - process maps are an even "higher elevation" look at what goes on.

It's just that I have noticed we can get so mired in details in our process documents that a person is left asking "But what do I do?" Procedures don't need to be exacting so much as they need to be accurate and adequate for doing the right thing, on time, hopefully every time. That doesn't usually need a whole lot of encyclopedic mass.
:2cents:

R

Richard Pike

Welcome to the Cove! :bigwave:

Based on my time doing internal auditing I can tell you the thing I have most sorely missed is flow charting - process maps are an even "higher elevation" look at what goes on.

It's just that I have noticed we can get so mired in details in our process documents that a person is left asking "But what do I do?" Procedures don't need to be exacting so much as they need to be accurate and adequate for doing the right thing, on time, hopefully every time. That doesn't usually need a whole lot of encyclopedic mass.
:2cents:

Yep absolutely agree Jennifer -- but ISO 9001 / 2008 revision should not be used as an excuse for this ?

K

kwbang

Hello Claes, Nice to meet you here!

You are right. Thank you for your comment in a kind manner.
Could you recomend me what could normally be major processes from ISO perspective? I think it can be Supplier Chain, Delvelopment and Problem Solving Process.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kwbang

Hello Rechard and Jennifer,

I totally agree with you. The flow chart is ok I think though, DNV is always asking me process map with KIPs and you know, more looks great documents visually..
Anyhow, it is right they say, my company seems weak on the process approching overally. That's way I am updating those things of process build-up. - Thanks!

Could you recomend me what could normally be major processes from ISO perspective? I think it can be Supplier Chain, Delvelopment and Problem Solving Process.
I suppose all the processes you mentioned above may be regarded as sub processes to your over all process, which in your case would be something like manufacturing controllers for factory automation.

Basically you need to walk the route from Marketing, sales and order handling to whenever your responsibility ends, maybe when delivery is taken care of. Just remember not to complicate things unnecessarily.

/Claes

K

kwbang

Claes, Thank you!

Based on your warmest mention, what I understand is that the key or major processes of my company can be made from organizations/functions basis which are divided as Sales, Business, Operation, Development, Customer Satisfaction and other supporting functions. And sub-processes should be considered connecting with that mega-process, not complicated as possible if not necessary. (At this point, I wonder two/three sub processes are OK or not for the each processes.)

Am I following on the right track?

At this point, I wonder two/three sub processes are OK or not for the each processes.
That, I am afraid, is not for me to say: Your company as any other is unique, and you need to map your processes as they are in fact set up.

Am I following on the right track?
I believe so, but I also suggest a closer look at clause 0.2 Process approach in ISO 9001:2008, paying particular attention to figure 1 which can be used as a template for a process map. There is no actual requirement to use a process map at all, but most do as it is usually the best and simplest option to fulfil the requirements of clauses 4.1b and 4.2.2c.

/Claes

Top Bottom