Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

How to use Statistical Process Control (SPC)?

Dear all Im new in Quality field, can any one explain me teach with simple examples. What is SPC and what are the guidelines, and how to use it in process controll and how to implement and its advantages.

Im working in one of PCB manufaturing company in this where exactly i can use this tool.

Q2- I know little bit about minitab but im looking for to use Quality tools in Minitab, how to use Minitab!.

J

JLang

Re: ahow to use Stastical process control

First of all, welcome to the cove. I hope you will find it as helpful of a place as I have.

You ask a lot of good questions there. Probably too many to answer in just one post. I'd suggest using the search function in the forums (on the right side of the blue bar on top of this page) to find other post that may be related. I know there is a lot of information in here on both SPC and Minitab.

The other suggestion I have is to get a copy of the AIAG SPC Manual (https://www.aiag.org/source/Orders/index.cfm?search=SPC). I do not regularly use SPC due to being a distributor and not a manufacturer, but I found this manual very helpful in understand how SPC works.

Sorry I can't be more specific as I do not use either of these much, but hopefully this can give you a starting point and you can come back with some more specifics. Good luck!

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Re: How to use Stastical Process Control (SPC)?

Welcome to the Cove!

JLang has given good advice. :agree1: I'd like to also point out links to related threads at the bottom of the page, and indeed almost every discussion page in here. Not only is SPC a big subject, you are in luck - we have discussed it already! And you need not wait for replies to your specific question today before reading available advice.

You may also be interested in a free publication titled Process or Product Monitoring and Control by National Institutes of Standards and Technology (NIST) which has been one of my favorite sources for the Cove.

I hope this helps!

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator

I have some Open Domain materials I have authored on the subject at http //www .efcog .org/wg/esh_es/Statistical_Process_Control/index.htm and do try to help answer questions here about SPC. - OBSOLETE BROKEN 404 LINK(s) UNLINKED

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin

I have some Open Domain materials I have authored on the subject at http //www .efcog .org/wg/esh_es/Statistical_Process_Control/index.htm and do try to help answer questions here about SPC. - OBSOLETE BROKEN 404 LINK(s) UNLINKED
Is this stuff still available any where by chance? Or have I already ask that?

There is a lot of source material out there on how to 'use' SPC in manufacturing. Minitab has some good built-in guides, and there is always YouTube. However, I will add one word of advice/caution.
SPC is NOT just collecting data and (once in a while, when the customer asks) generating a capability study. SPC is monitoring and CONTROLLING your process.....reacting and responding to shifts in the process measurements.
Before putting your charts out on the floor, ensure that everyone understands this, and that they know what actions to take when the process DOES go out of control.
I have seen this over and over again - companies SAY they 'do SPC' when all they really do is collect numbers on a sheet. Its not even DATA, until someone looks at it and determines that it is useful information.

Mike S.

An Early 'Cover'
Trusted
I would highly recommend the book "Understanding Variation, The Key to Managing Chaos" by Dr. Donald Wheeler, to anyone learning or practicing SPC. SPC Press -- Book: Understanding Variation - the Key to Managing Chaos - by Donald J. Wheeler Also look on the web for free articles written by Dr. Wheeler, many of which are pure gold.

Davis Balestracci is another author/writer with lots of free articles and blog posts with great info on SPC and process improvement. Here is a link -- click on archives section for free articles. https://davisdatasanity.com/

I have no connection to either person other than being a fan of their work.

Top Bottom