How to use the Aspect Register - Aspect register is not being used to its fullest

S

sandy73

In my company, we have established an EMS complying to ISO 14001: 2004. there is sufficient mangement committment too. and there is continual improvement.

However, I find that the Aspect register is not being used to its fullest. It gets reviewed before the Audits and generally is not used. How can I Promote using the register as it should be.. What are the ways in which the Aspect Register can be utilized to the fullest... Any Suggestions, Advise?

Thanks

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: How to use the Aspect register

1st of all I can't find a requirement for an aspect register in 14001...Did I miss something?

Now if you do have one, which you say you do, what purpose is it supposed to be serving and is it fulfilling that purpose?

The only thing that has to be done with aspects is a determination of significance, beyond that there isn't anything that has to be done with them because the only ones requiring any action are the significant aspects

S

sandy73

Thanks guys...for the response.

Correct me if I am wrong..

There's no requirement for a register per se. however, we do have one.. It helps us keep an account of the aspects from various activities.. and update in case of new developments/projects etc.. When I speak of a register, I mean the aspect/impact table which I find many have posted in these forums.. Hope this gives more clarity.. And I agree that the requirement is to determine significance of aspects.

Anyways, Some thoughts on what i meant by using the aspect list ...
For instance, In the event of an environemntal incident, we would need to do an RCA and ensure that the Cause gets captured as an aspect and a control establshed. The same in case of some NCs from Audit findings

We could also develop an aspect table for new projects or plant upgradations to capture environemntal aspects arising from various phases of the project viz.. construction, commissioning and routine operation and establish controls.

Am I on the right track.. or going haywire..:bonk:

harry

Trusted Information Resource

For projects which are often one-offs, I use project monitoring plans. For effects of the new operation (changes), yes incorporate them in the register - which is a live document subject to 'changes' and reviews.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
In my company, we have established an EMS complying to ISO 14001: 2004. there is sufficient mangement committment too. and there is continual improvement.

However, I find that the Aspect register is not being used to its fullest. It gets reviewed before the Audits and generally is not used. How can I Promote using the register as it should be.. What are the ways in which the Aspect Register can be utilized to the fullest... Any Suggestions, Advise?

Thanks
We adopt a mass balance diagram for any new activity or event that comes about and in this all the inputs / outputs / discharges / waste or bi-products do get captured. This discipline of mapping a mass balance for any new activity or change in activity has got our focus on new aspects. its a matter of practicing such an approach. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom