How to use the six sigma in supply chain? thanks

J

jackylpt

How to use the six sigma in supply chain managament? Is there anybody can give me some example or suggestion? thanks

Michael

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Michael,
As I recall some of your other posts, you have been looking for specific answers to statistics questions, some of which have involved Six Sigma.

Perhaps you can help us help you more effectively if you outline the situation which is engendering these questions and your ultimate goal regarding that situation, rather than "nibbling around the edges."

Simply stated, "Six Sigma" is not some monolithic method of doing business, but rather a descriptive term for the process of using several long standing quality "tools" to assess and quantify a process or group of processes which make up a system. Thus said, Six Sigma people may tackle Supply Chain problems, but their approach will not be materially different from that of any experienced manager who knows how to do root cause investigations and perform rudimentary statistical operations. Some may argue that Six Sigma focuses too much on short term results. Be that as it may, the basic process of investigating a problem is the same whether someone uses the term "Six Sigma" or not.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Michael - I would agree with Wes concerning more details about your situation - this will help us more apecifically answer your question and keep the thread from disintegrating to yet another debate on the merits of Six Sigma.

I would add that while his description of Six Sigma as essentially a good root cause investigative technique is adequate to describe the core of Six Sigma, it is not a complete description and this gap may be where your question lies:

Some organizations 'do six sigma' in the supply chain by simply leading problem solving efforts at the supplier location, using supplier personnel as team members.

Other organizations provide six sigma training for their suppliers (either in supplier only classes or integrating supplier personnel into their in-house classes with their own personnel). These suppleir 'students' get projectsand are certified as belts by the customer organization and then expected to continue a six sigma approach wihtin their organization. 'payment' for the training is varied - some is free, based on the requirement of 2 projects related to the customer providing the training; some customers requrie a nominal fee and others will set up a 50-50 savings split on the projects...

Occassionally the customer organization will 'mandate' a Six sigma program and/or balck belt certified personnel for their key suppliers. Although this seems to be going to out of style...

J

jackylpt

Dear Bev and Wes,

I am a six sigma black belt in my current company. So I have some special questions about the six sigma area in our process.

And also because my company implement six sigma only several month, I think for me, there are so many area that I am not very sure. I want to get help from others. I do appreciate that.

Michael

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Q How can Six Sigma be implemented in Retail Distributors (Logistics and Supply Chain) Six Sigma 4
M Lean and Six Sigma in supply chain operations. Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
michellemmm What is the Cost of six sigma certification? Six Sigma 5
K Looking for a good Six Sigma book Six Sigma 4
N Student trying to apply Lean Six Sigma on a Construction project in my thesis Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
eule del ayre Lean Six Sigma for Quality Management System Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 10
Marc ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 - Phoenix, AZ ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
Bev D ASQ Lean Six Sigma Conference March 4-5, 2019 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
S Levels of Lean Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 3
J Excellent Resource on Statistics / Lean / Six Sigma Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 2
M How Organizations maintain Six Sigma and TQM in their Operations ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Can Six sigma support ISO9001? If yes, in what ways? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
L Toyota doesn’t use Six Sigma Six Sigma 1
N Implementation of Six Sigma in Service industry Service Industry Specific Topics 17
J Six Sigma Green Belt (SSGB) from a college - Options? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
Bev D ASQ 2015 Lean Six Sigma Conference: Bev D's Presentation Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
K Looking for Six Sigma Black Belt projects in Customer Service Six Sigma 7
Mikael Total Productive Maintenance vs. Lean, Six sigma, Business Process Reengineering, etc Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 9
S Quality / 9001/ Six Sigma Audio CD Recommendations? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Q Advice for the Implementation of a Lean/Six Sigma Program Six Sigma 9
A Application / Use of Hypothesis Testing in any Six Sigma Black Belt Project Six Sigma 8
T Tools Six Sigma for my Automated Machine Six Sigma 8
V Pareto Analysis - Six Sigma - 'Productivity Improvement' project Service Industry Specific Topics 1
N Lean Six Sigma Deployment Six Sigma 2
G How much to pay a Freelance Six Sigma Trainer in India Six Sigma 1
M Six Sigma in the Software Industry Six Sigma 6
G Looking for live project in company for Six Sigma Black belt Project Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
B How to identify Six Sigma Yellow Belt Project Six Sigma 4
K ASQ Six Sigma Handbook - Should I purchase the Black Belt handbook now? Six Sigma 5
alonFAI Six Sigma Green Belt Certification help Career and Occupation Discussions 5
H Chosing a Six Sigma Green Belt Project - Software Industry Six Sigma 9
S Suggestions for Six Sigma Online Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
S Example of a DFSS (Design for Six Sigma) Project or a Case Study Six Sigma 4
S Lean Hospital - Implementing a quality/lean/six sigma program Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 3
K Choosing a Six Sigma training organization Six Sigma 4
C DFSS (Design for Six Sigma) project or SSBB project? Six Sigma 8
H Case Studies of Six Sigma in Service Processes Six Sigma 1
S Need help with Project Charter for my Six Sigma Green Belt Project Six Sigma 1
G Six Sigma Case Studies - Does anyone have a good source for LSS case studies? Six Sigma 8
P The difference between Six Sigma Black Belt and Master Black Belt Six Sigma 2
V Quality/Manufacturing/Six Sigma Jobs - Tri State (NJ,NY,CT) Career and Occupation Discussions 1
P Integration of Lean and Six Sigma Six Sigma 3
C Who should develop a LSS (Lean Six Sigma) project charter? Six Sigma 2
R How to implement Six Sigma within an IT-driven organisation? Six Sigma 14
K What is the role of the Six Sigma Black Belt? Six Sigma 9
G IQF Six Sigma DMAIC Certification vs. ASQ Certification Six Sigma 4
D Determining Sample Size for Capability in Six Sigma Project Six Sigma 5
C Using CSSGB/CSSBB as a Title - Six Sigma Question Six Sigma 3
T Kaizen vs. Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 6
V Presentation and Question about ASQ's Six Sigma Certification Six Sigma 5