How to write a Nonconformance Report

AndyN

Moved On
Sorry Andy, I don't understand this.

How about "The selection of auditors and conduct of audits shall ensure objectivity and impartiality of the audit process. Auditors shall
not audit their own work."

If the auditor and auditee are one and the same how is the above requirement not violated? Is it just the use of the term "independency" in post #5 you're objecting to?

Tyker, I was referring to the example statement - ISO 9001 doesn't mention "independence", so cannot be cited against that criteria clause (or any other, frankly). If an nc statement is going to carry weight - especially the first example - it must be technically correct too!

jkuil

Quite Involved in Discussions
Not being a native speaker these symantic discussions sometimes confuse me. The "independent" terminology comes from ISO 19011:2002 which defines an audits as

A systematic, independent, and documented process for obtaining audit evidence and evaluating it objectively to determine the extent to which the audit criteria are fulfilled.

Independence: the basis for the impartiality of the audit and objectivity of the audit conclusions.
Auditors must maintain an objective state of mind throughout the audit process to ensure that the audit findings and conclusions will be based only on the audit evidence. Being part of the department that is being audited does not mean that your conclusions aren't based on evidence. However, the evaluation of this evidence may be biased.
Auditors who are independent of the activity being audited are free from bias and conflict of interest. Reporting into the department or having performed activities that are within the scope of the audit are considered conflicts of interest.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Dear All

Could pls guide me, how to write NCR report?

I found Non conformance in QA/QC department, the conduct internal audit in QA/QC but auditor & auditee was same person, how will i write non conformance in report.

Your guidelines & Suggestion for my improvement

Thank you
MR

I think this whole thing can be cleared up with just a change of perspective. Here is your question, reworded to avoid the independence/bias/impartiality/auditing one's own work issue:

"I found Non conformance in QA/QC department, the conduct internal audit in QA/QC but auditor & auditee was same person investigation, how will i write non conformance in report."

You found a problem and did further investigation, now you need to document it. Do this by telling what was expected or required, what you found, and the nature of the evidence that supports your claim.

AndyN

Moved On
Not being a native speaker these symantic discussions sometimes confuse me. The "independent" terminology comes from ISO 19011:2002 which defines an audits as

Independence: the basis for the impartiality of the audit and objectivity of the audit conclusions.
Auditors must maintain an objective state of mind throughout the audit process to ensure that the audit findings and conclusions will be based only on the audit evidence. Being part of the department that is being audited does not mean that your conclusions aren't based on evidence. However, the evaluation of this evidence may be biased.
Auditors who are independent of the activity being audited are free from bias and conflict of interest. Reporting into the department or having performed activities that are within the scope of the audit are considered conflicts of interest.

Goed so, Jan, zeker!

Typically, independence is taken to mean someone who is the auditor being assigned from another department! Sadly, that doesn't mean unbiased or without conflicts. I've witnessed people who have no experience of, let's say, a Purchasing function, be totally opinionated about the whole department being in the 'pocket of the suppliers'! This perception was formed from seeing the 'quality' of products which they were given to build...

In actual fact, it takes much more to ensure the competencies relating to lack of bias etc. than simply selection from other parts of the organization!

Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
Auditors who are independent of the activity being audited are free from bias and conflict of interest.
Don't believe this falacy for one second. Even though I may be "independant" of you, I may and can be totally biased either for or against you.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Auditors who are independent of the activity being audited are free from bias and conflict of interest.
(Emphasis in the original)

Don't believe this falacy for one second. Even though I may be "independant" of you, I may and can be totally biased either for or against you.

Not speaking for jkuil, but I think what he was saying was that this particular sense of "independent" includes a condition of freedom from bias and conflict of interest. Thus, if you are "...totally biased either for or against..." you are not, by definition, independent.

ETA: Perhaps a better word than "independent" would be "disinterested." (Not "uninterested")

Top Bottom