How to write my CV if I was let go?

Q

Qingstone

Three weeks ago, a new guy came, two weeks ago, this new guy was announced as the General manager. Yesterday, I became one of the first to let go.

Our company has been in bad shape for some time now. The president decided that things must be changed, that is why the new GM came.

I think the following are the reasons why I was chosen to let go.
1. I was am one of the three guys that the company provided dormitory to. The company offered us a little pay rise in exchange of cancelling company dormitory. I did not sign the agreement.
2. The new GM said I was not strong enough to execute his plan, because I seek consensus from relevant people.
3. This new GM understands Quality Management System, my job was to establish QMS, so probably the president thinks it is not necessary to keep me here any more.
4. Another potential reason is that the former GM appreciated my job very much, and often told other employees that I was his most trusted employee, this may make the new GM suspicious.

Anyway, I'm going to start looking for a new job from tomorrow.

My problem is, I have only been working in this company for about half a year, how am I going to explain to the potential employer the reason of my leave? If I put my true reason in my CV, what can I expect from the inteview, or can I get an interview?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Welcome to the Cove.

I am so sorry to hear of your plight. I have a similar experience, where my employer went through a merger about 8 months after I arrived. Within another 2 months, the plant was announced for closing and I was among the first of 800 people let go.

I never said why this was a short employment term on my resume. But when asked, I give a short version of the truth with evident wistful exasperation, ending with: "Only ten months! And there was so much I wanted to accomplish there." I emphasize how it was a good place, what I had learned/accomplished in that short time. Everything has some value, you see.

Your explanation can describe, in 10 seconds, how a management change was installed and a large scale personnel swap quickly followed. You can sigh once with regret and end the topic with some nugget of positive knowledge you came away with.

Do not forget to get a letter of recommendation from your old QM; two others from respected people may also help.

I wish you well! You can prevail. Even the most tarnished of coins can be shined up.

Last edited:
U

Umang Vidyarthi

Three weeks ago, a new guy came, two weeks ago, this new guy was announced as the General manager. Yesterday, I became one of the first to let go.

Our company has been in bad shape for some time now. The president decided that things must be changed, that is why the new GM came.

I think the following are the reasons why I was chosen to let go.
1. I was am one of the three guys that the company provided dormitory to. The company offered us a little pay rise in exchange of cancelling company dormitory. I did not sign the agreement.
2. The new GM said I was not strong enough to execute his plan, because I seek consensus from relevant people.
3. This new GM understands Quality Management System, my job was to establish QMS, so probably the president thinks it is not necessary to keep me here any more.
4. Another potential reason is that the former GM appreciated my job very much, and often told other employees that I was his most trusted employee, this may make the new GM suspicious.

Anyway, I'm going to start looking for a new job from tomorrow.

My problem is, I have only been working in this company for about half a year, how am I going to explain to the potential employer the reason of my leave? If I put my true reason in my CV, what can I expect from the inteview, or can I get an interview?
Welcome to the cove :bigwave:

Good to note,that you have not permitted yourself to be disturbed by the turn of events.Some heads are bound to roll,whenever a new broom takes over.Don't worry,just foresee this as a boon in disguise.

Jennifer has given good advise here.You do not have to explain any thing about this in your resume'.Just prepare a curt and succinct reply to be given at the time of interview.The reply has to be carefully crafted,ensuring not to divulge your hurt/pride/emotions.The interviewer may coerce you (by showing pity)to divulge your emotions,just intelligently avoid such traps.You should be focused on your future,and more importantly (from employer's perspective),how the new company will be benefited,if you are taken in.

And remember,half glass of water can be viewed differently.Optimists say,the glass is half filled with water,pessimist says the glass is half empty.There is a third angle too-'The glass is full,half with water and half with air'.This is the realistic approach.

Wish you Best of luck.

/Umang :D

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Lets look at this from a "gatekeeper's" point of view:
Gatekeepers are the folks who do the preliminary screening of resumes for employers to discard the obvious mismatches. Gatekeepers are usually limited in the amount of personal evaluation to use in sorting resumes and often follow a rather strict list of "must haves" and "must not haves" in deciding whether to discard a resume.

Fair or not, short terms of employment must be explained for most gatekeepers or they ASSUME the candidate was terminated for cause.

A simple sentence or two in a very neutral tone will ease that gatekeeper bias.

There may be hundreds of examples floating around the internet, but a straightforward statement without emotion is usually best. Here's one sample I just thought up:
"My primary function was to support the then-current general manager in establishing and implementing a Quality Management System. He was subsequently replaced by a new general manager who brought in his own support team and a new management plan, eliminating my position.

While there for only ten months, I did manage to initiate and implement a [insert some small success here, for example: "a streamlined in-process inspection system which reduced nonconforming products and saved the company much more in reduced scrap than the cost of inspection."]
In another vein, since you are now in the job market, I suggest folks start their job quests by reading through the tips offered in these threads

Candidates:
Thinking about a New Job for New Year?
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=19619
Resume and cover letter - How good are yours?
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=10169
The Job Hunt - Care and feeding of references
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=19094
Tips to get past the "gatekeeper" when job hunting
http://elsmar.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=9325

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Everyone one has provided excellent recommendations. The utmost is that Honesty is always the safe way to go. Lies are usually found out in a matter of time. :caution:

Jennifer hit right on the nail head.

Kinda, :topic: I am not trying to be harsh and that is not my intention, but my question is:

Why have you waited 3 weeks to start searching for a new job? I understand 1 week, but three weeks seems a little too long, in my opinion.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
Kinda, :topic: I am not trying to be harsh and that is not my intention, but my question is:

Why have you waited 3 weeks to start searching for a new job? I understand 1 week, but three weeks seems a little too long, in my opinion.
He didn't wait three weeks after the job loss. He just didn't realize three weeks ago that he was on a "hit list." He only lost the job the day before the post.

Randy

Super Moderator
From the looks of it we're in China here and USA solutions are not gonna help one bit due to the total difference in culture and all that.

Part of what I see in the original OP statement is the emphasis on seeking consensus before making a decision....running a business isn't a democratic exercise as far as the company was concerned (or the new boss)

Pardner what you should do is be honest, but emphasize your strengths and try to portray the problem as the difference in management styles between you and your former employer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Qingstone

Everyone one has provided excellent recommendations. The utmost is that Honesty is always the safe way to go. Lies are usually found out in a matter of time. :caution:

Jennifer hit right on the nail head.

Wes is right. I did not expect I was on the list.

I have studied lean for some time, and have built in some lean stuff in the system. We are still using the batch-and-queue approach, No other person have talked about lean in our company.

This new guy talked about SMED, small lot more delivery, reorganize the layout to facilitate flow.

I thought, Gee, this guy knew lean, he was going to need my help.

At our last conversation, I realized that he had already made up his mind to bring his own people in. I just have to go.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Coury Ferguson Should a Registrar write a NC on something that was found during the Internal Audit Registrars and Notified Bodies 138
K Looking for guidance to write an SOP on Statistical Methodologies? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
A Document Change Notice vs complete System re-write Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
K PQ validation qualification - Asked to write a PQ protocol ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
L How to write a proper defect description in a NCR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
qualprod When to write up a nonconformance and require a NCR - We produce labels ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
D Validation of existing equipment - I have been asked to write a quality assessment for equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
M Medical Device Directive - Seeking common nonconformance write up scenarios CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
N How to Write and Compile a Technical File for CE Marking CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
qualprod Write down same nonconformity in several processes? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
A What ISO 9001:2015 clause could be used to write nonconformance for not updating licensed driver list? General Auditing Discussions 8
GStough Have You Had to Write a NC Against a Quality Manual in a Supplier Audit? General Auditing Discussions 12
D What is the appropriate way to write a conclusion from a % contribution result? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
M Who should write Departmental Work Instructions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
L Requirement to write a Detailed Inspection Plan (DIP) APQP and PPAP 6
E How to write requirements for Medical App Validation and Verification IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 7
Z What to write on A3 Methodology Recognition Certificates? Six Sigma 2
T SOP for How to Write a Specification for Raw Materials and Finished Good ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
alonFAI Update an existing QMS manual or write a new one for AS9100C Certification? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
E How to write a Project Plan to Overhaul our QMS ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
C How to write a Post Market Surveillance REPORT (not procedure) EU Medical Device Regulations 4
E How to write an Aseptic Media Fill Validation Document Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
Q Who must write Quality Manual as per ISO 9001 Clause 5.5.2? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
J Can An External Auditor Also Write The Same Non-Conformance As An Internal Auditor? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
C How to Write Procedures without too many Details ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
B How do I tell my boss to write neatly without offending her? Career and Occupation Discussions 8
W How to write an EASA 145 Quality Manual EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 3
N Do I Need to Write a CAR for..... (All Opinions Wanted :) ) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
B I'm trying to write detailed Customer Service Work Instructions Customer Complaints 10
T How do I control web-based asp forms/rpts that write to and pull from an Access DB Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
P Internal Audit Corrective Actions - Can a CB write an NC on an in-process CA? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 27
J How to Write the Planned Interval to Conduct Internal Audit, Management Review, etc.. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A How to write a US FDA proof MDR procedure? Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
Y New Guidance for the Industry - How to write a Request for Designation (RFD) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Q How to write Statement of Purpose for a Law School Admission Career and Occupation Discussions 9
K How to Write a User's Manual for Peachtree - Seeking help Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
K ISO 22000 requirement to write a Food Safety Manual Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
E How to write a Validation Risk Management Plan for Equipment ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
A How to write Quality Manual? Point to consider Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 2
M How to write a Nonconformance Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
S How to write a Prerequisite Program (PRP) for food industry ? Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 14
B How to write a SOP for a Medical Device Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
E Software to Write and Control Work Instructions? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
A How to write quality policy? Basics of Quality policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
L Is it required to write a formal corrective action on any nonconformance? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 29
M How to write the Essential Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 14
R How to write a Capacity Plan Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
N Four CMMs and would like to write programs for intermediate checks General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
A How to write a Quality Policy Statement Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
Jen Kirley How does a Demingite write a good self evaluation? Career and Occupation Discussions 5