How well did the transition auditors understand your organisation?

Did the ISO 9001 auditors get the right level of non compliance (numbers and grade)?

• Yes, they understood the system and raised the right level of non compliance

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • No, they raised too many non compliances.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, they didn't find non complainces that exist in the system

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No, they didn't grade the non compliances correctly

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Paul Simpson

Trusted Information Resource
Non Conformity

Now that all the transition work is ongoing I would like some feedback from Cove members on the transition process. Please post your answers to the poll.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
E

edward.gibbs

Paul,

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking about a specific case, and if so, where are the details of the case posted? Or are you asing for personal experiences with our own transitions?

Ed Gibbs

Paul Simpson

My mistake

Sorry Ed. I should have explained the poll better. My question is ... how well do the transition auditors understand the organisation you work for and your managment systems?

The poll options are for cove members to give their opinion on how well the non conformities raised actually reflect their own assessment of how well systems are implemented at your organisation. I have some experience of transition audits and have had a mixed bag where auditors are raising a whole host of minor N/Cs (similar to the 1994 standard) when there are none really there and another example when there was a clean bill of health when in reality there were significant failings in the system (and the process approach) which were not picked up.

M

MandOS

Paul Simpson said:
Sorry Ed. I should have explained the poll better. My question is ... how well do the transition auditors understand the organisation you work for and your managment systems?

The poll options are for cove members to give their opinion on how well the non conformities raised actually reflect their own assessment of how well systems are implemented at your organisation. I have some experience of transition audits and have had a mixed bag where auditors are raising a whole host of minor N/Cs (similar to the 1994 standard) when there are none really there and another example when there was a clean bill of health when in reality there were significant failings in the system (and the process approach) which were not picked up.
Paul

Our recent experience suggests that a number of assessors do not understand a process-based management system, or even business processes and their management, and that they cannot cope with a system which is not built around the sections of the standard - even though it reflects how the organisation works and is used (and liked) by the staff.

Some will not even look in detail at the published system, and prefer to ask a few questions about how "continuous improvement" and "preventive action" are covered. They need to understand the processes and how they are managed to know whether these requirements are addressed adequately. Is the need to "enhance customer satisfaction" lacking on the part of some of these "suppliers"?

Regards

Peter Fraser

E

edward.gibbs

I answered that they did not find NCs that existed in the system, but I don't feel that is a problem. Auditing is by nature a sampling activity, and there is no way in a couple days that an auditor is going to find every NC in a company. It would be totally unrealistic to expect them to do so.

Internal audits should find more NCs if they are done correctly, and that is why registrars always check internal audits on every visit. But even a thorough internal audit program will miss some NCs.

I don't think it is necessary to find every single NC at the moment it occurs. The important thing to to keep getting better, keep uncovering and fixing problems, and never assume that an audit with no NCs means there were none to be found.

FWIW - I did an internal audit about a week after our final 9001:2000 transition audit and I found a glaring omission in our QSM - something that has to be there but was not. We fixed it, of course, and it was an easy fix. But it could have held up our certificate if our registrar had noticed it.

Nothing is ever perfect.

Ed Gibbs

Paul Simpson

Is the sample effective?

Thanks Peter / Ed.

I understand that an auditor cannot be expected to find all NCs that exist but as purchasers of a service I would hope that at the end of the assessment we could make a judgement as to whether they found a "reasonable" proportion of the NCs they came across in the audit.

As I mentioned I have been on an assessment where the auditor raised a number of NCs that was far in excess of what a process approach audit should record - mainly by reverting (to type) to document control issues and by requireing procedures be documented when there is no need.

I have also seen audits where the company does not have a process based system, awareness of a system cobbled together a week before the audit was incedibly low and there were no records to support implementation - yet the company had one minor NC raised on the wording of a policy!

I once read of a story of an accident described by several different people. One was a cop, one was a doctor, one was an engineer and one was a teacher. Each described the accident from the aspect of their own experience and bias. At times it was hard to tell if they were talking about the same accident.

Auditor tend to audit the same way. If your auditor has an engineering background, they tend to focus on that aspect. If they belong to MENSA, then you have a real problem (just kidding Randy :biglaugh: ). This can lead to confusion at times.

I do have a question, however, if you know there are nonconformances, why did you not address them prior to the audit? Are you leaving "low hanging fruit" for the auditor (Randy will see right through that ploy)? Are you lazy? I find this whole thing interesting.

Randy

Super Moderator
If you're conducting your internal audit correctly you should be finding opportunities for improvement (preventive actions) before they become N/C's. If your not, you're on the wrong end of the power curve and you should identify your internal audit as an N/C in need of correction.

db...how did you know I'd read this thread?

G

Greg B

Paul,

I don't really understand this thread or the Poll....but...I do agree with what db abd Randy said.

Are you really asking that the Registrar find enough NCs to let you know how you are travelling in regards to transition? because if they don't alert you to the NCs then you won't know what to fix? OR are you highlighting a bad registrar? If you want to know how you are progressing put some evidence up on the Cove and we can discuss it.

The only real thing we changed in our transition was our Quality Manual the rest pretty much stayed the same with a bit of a spring clean. During our Transition Audit our Registrar concentrated on our Documentation (New Policy and QM mainly). It was not complete but he could see the work progressing and minutes etc from meetings stating what we were going to do. The Quality System is fluid and continually changing and improving. It CANNOT be 100% correct ALL of the time and therefore if you wanted to be picky you could have NCs appearing on a very regular basis.

We have had the same Registrar for 12 years. He understands our business well and has grown his knowledge as our company has grown.

IMHO
Greg B :bigwave:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Quiz - Where did the idea of an assembly line come from? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
S Where did FDA 510(K) form 3654 go? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
A Drawing Issue with Supplier - xb file did not match that of the pdf drawing Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
Marc How did you "get" a full-time job? (A 2017 discussion) Career and Occupation Discussions 11
Marc When did you first use what we call E-Mail (aka email) today? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
Q Did you use consultants for UDI? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
B How did you grow your QMS in a Job Shop? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 11
B Did UL 60601-1 change when the IEC 60601-1 standard changed to the 3rd edition? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
T Test Report - Customer Signature - Customer did not witness test General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Marc Just for fun - How did you find the Elsmar Discussion Forum Forum News and General Information 9
GStough Is "Did Not Follow Procedures" Sufficient for RCA? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 30
Wes Bucey Did somebody drop the ball at Boeing? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 38
Marc Did Stone Age cavemen talk to each other in symbols? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 7
A The auditor documented that we did not have control of Outsourced Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
Hershal Travel! Where have you been of late? What did you see? What do you think? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 15
T Did any of you use these sticks and rocks? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 32
Q AS9100B Clause 7.5.1.5 - Where did it go in AS9100C? Servicing/Post Delivery Support AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
Jim Wynne What did they do before Powerpoint? Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 3
Hershal How did you spend New Years? 2009 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
P New Year Goals and Resolutions - Did you keep your goals and resolutions in 2009? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
M Where did "breakpoint" analysis come from? AIAG MSA book Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
JoCam We did it!!! ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
L Where did the name Elsmar come from? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17
N CQC (China Quality Certification) did not issue an Audit Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
T Passed our registration audit - Well we did it!!!!!!! ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
P NC from TS16949 stage 2 audit - Internal Auditing - Auditor did not record evidence General Auditing Discussions 15
D Out of tolerance gauge blocks - How did these blocks go out of tolerance? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 21
Wes Bucey Laid off? Downsized? What did you learn? Career and Occupation Discussions 80
M TUV NCR 1 - Internal Audit did not audit the second shift Internal Auditing 26
R Looking for a link to a story - Because Nobody did it, the project didn't get done Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Ajit Basrur Certified Biomedical Auditor (ASQ) - What study materials did you use? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
Govind Did you know about ASQ Membership value Assessment Calculator? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 5
Govind ISO 10031- Did you know about this standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Wes Bucey Why did they need laptops in the first place? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 20
M Did anyone take the CSQE exam on saturday (6/3/2006) Professional Certifications and Degrees 6
C How did you survive your childhood? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 31
C Why did you not choose mechanical engineering? Interview Question Career and Occupation Discussions 6
C Career Change Question - Why did you choose Quality Engineer as starting job? Career and Occupation Discussions 3
SteelMaiden ISO 14001 certification yesterday afternoon - We did it! ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 15
J Happy 2006 - How did you ring in the New Year Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 16
P Why did ISO assign the number 16949 to TS 16949? Why not 123456 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
G Green Buildings And Leed - Did anyone go to "greenbuild" in Atlanta last week? Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 7
J TS 16949 8.5.2 Corrective Action - Auditor did not like the customer related form Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
I We Did it!! Recommended for TS 16949 certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Marc Acronym DID - Acronym Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 0
Q SPC Terminoloy & Jargon: Cpk, Ppk etc.: How did it evolve? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 8
Wes Bucey ASQ (American Society for Quality) By-Laws Changes - How did you vote? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 15
Q Curiosity... The popularity of ISO 9001 if NA Automakers did not require it ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
B Question about AQL - Why did the customer reject our products??? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 6
Govind Did Ken throw away his game? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 24