How you define 'Normal & Abnormal' Conditions and 'Routine & Non-routine' Activities

S

samsung

Normal and abnormal conditions relate to identification of Environmental hazards (14001 Annex-A) whereas Routine and Non-routine activities find reference in 4.3.1, Hazard identification (OHSAS 18001:2007).

I'm not sure how to define them unambiguously.

Please share your views, possibly with few examples to clear my doubts.

Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Re: How you define 'Normal & Abnormal' Conditions and 'Routine & Non-routine' Activit

Hi,

There are many examples for normal and abnormal conditions.

Just take the case of a chemical reaction. The normal condition is that the temperature and pressure are as per the standard reaction conditions; if the temperature and pressure (or one of them) increase (or decrease), then the condition is abnormal.

In general normal condition is that which has been observed (or taken from a reference) and recorded in standard operating procedures and the like; a deviation from the normal condition is abnormal.

Normally our effluent quantity is 600 KL per day - that is a normal condition. Today the effluent quantity has come down to 100 KL per day - that is an abnormal condition.

Normally we use furnace oil to fire the furnace - that is normal condition. Today we have used HSD for firing the furnace - that is abnormal.

Similar examples may be given for routine and non-routine activities.

e.g. Routinely we use electrical heating; there is a power-cut today, we will use LPG for heating (this is non-routine)

We do not have routine night shifts for our operations; but for maintenance purposes we will have a night shift (non-routine) for a day.

Hope the above helps.

With kind regards,

Ramakrishnan

S

samsung

Re: How you define 'Normal & Abnormal' Conditions and 'Routine & Non-routine' Activit

Thanks Dr. Ramakrishnan for your clear & straight forward reply. Currently we are reviewing our plant wide Aspect/ Hazard inventory and there is lot of discussion and confusion on what actually constitute an 'Abnormal' condition (EMS) and a 'Non-routine' activity with particular reference to OHS.

e.g. Some people argue that the plant 'start up' and 'shut down' (if it's planned) should not be considered an 'abnormal' event. But my point is that it does give rise to abnormally high pollution, energy use, waste generation, poor product quality etc. (albeit for a limited time). However, there is a reasonable agreement about the 'breakdowns', manpower shortage, power cut, adverse weather etc. i.e. these should be taken as 'abnormal' conditions.

Should machine/plant breakdowns, overtime working, touring for business purposes, engagement of temporary labours be considered 'non-routine' activities w.r.t. OHS risk assessment? Similarly there are certain activities which are carried out on regular basis but the frequency remains low, e.g. once in 3 yrs. or sometimes once in 5 years.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

Should machine/plant breakdowns, overtime working, touring for business purposes, engagement of temporary labours be considered 'non-routine' activities w.r.t. OHS risk assessment? Similarly there are certain activities which are carried out on regular basis but the frequency remains low, e.g. once in 3 yrs. or sometimes once in 5 years.
Samsung.
Examples said above do not perhaps happen daily, but still it is in the capacity of the assessors of the OHS risks to consider them, as they form part of the business activity happening at some intervals and can be visualized.
On the contrary an activity like construction of an industrial shed within the site based on need to expand; The factory premises is permitted for a film shooting as a part of the corporate presentation package; A grand function is planned to be organized within the site to celebrate the silver jubilee; such I consider to be non-routine activities which needs a seperate risk assessment when confronted and suitably addresed

Dear Samsung,

BS 7750 (precursor to ISO-14001) did identify "Start up" and "Shut down" as two conditions under which one was supposed to identify "effects". It is possible under certain circumstances the "effects" are significant. For example in certain GEN SETS "Starting" will cause excess air pollution which will come down with the continued use. Your friends may have some such points. Please check.

With kind regards,

Ramakrishnan

S

samsung

Dear Samsung,

BS 7750 (precursor to ISO-14001) did identify "Start up" and "Shut down" as two conditions under which one was supposed to identify "effects". It is possible under certain circumstances the "effects" are significant. For example in certain GEN SETS "Starting" will cause excess air pollution which will come down with the continued use. Your friends may have some such points. Please check.

With kind regards,

Ramakrishnan
Yes, exactly there are similar points in our people's mind and the problem is how to incorporate such issues in the existing system. e.g. planned and unplanned maintenance (B/D and hence non routine activity).

I have attached the Risk Card of one of the Maintenance Deptts. I will very much appreciate if you go through the attached document and advise where & how can I incorporate the effect of non-routine activities or abnormal conditions. Or anything else that you can suggest for further improvement.

Thanks,

Attachments

Dear Samsung,

I was on tour and have just returned home. I saw your posting and quickly went through the excel sheet. I shall try to respond to you, at least partially, by tomorrow evening.

With kind regards,

Ramakrishnan

Hi Samsung,

For want of time I shall take one example for now; the example of "heating of bearings in an oil bath" as the activity.

Here "Start up" is when you start heating the oil bath; and "shut down" is when you stop heating the oil bath (when the job is over).

Environmental Aspect (Start up): Burning of fuel (or use of electricity) to raise the temperature of the bath to the desired temperature (Impact may be - depletion of non-renewable resources, air pollution etc.) (you may be able to identify more aspects using the input-output model)

Environmental Aspect (Shut down): Wastage of heat (impact may be: depletion of non-renewable resources, air pollution etc.)

Hazard - Start up: Potential to splutter (if the oil contains / absorbed water)
Hazard - Shut down: Potential for accidental handling without realizing that the object is hot

Hope the above helps. I wish I spend more time to explain a few more examples. Please bear with me; I am just rushing to get ready for a tour starting early morning tomorrow.

In case you need more clarification please do let me know through the forum.

With kind regards,

Ramakrishnan

S

samsung

Hi Samsung,

For want of time I shall take one example for now; the example of "heating of bearings in an oil bath" as the activity.

Here "Start up" is when you start heating the oil bath; and "shut down" is when you stop heating the oil bath (when the job is over).

Environmental Aspect (Start up): Burning of fuel (or use of electricity) to raise the temperature of the bath to the desired temperature (Impact may be - depletion of non-renewable resources, air pollution etc.) (you may be able to identify more aspects using the input-output model)

Environmental Aspect (Shut down): Wastage of heat (impact may be: depletion of non-renewable resources, air pollution etc.)

Hazard - Start up: Potential to splutter (if the oil contains / absorbed water)
Hazard - Shut down: Potential for accidental handling without realizing that the object is hot

Hope the above helps. I wish I spend more time to explain a few more examples. Please bear with me; I am just rushing to get ready for a tour starting early morning tomorrow.

In case you need more clarification please do let me know through the forum.

With kind regards,

Ramakrishnan
Thanks Dr. Ramakrishnan for your analysis that makes sense and helps me to understand what I really needed to.

I hope you will provide some more insight whenever you are free from your busy business schedule.

Thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Define Fault, Double Fault and Normal Conditions - Preparing a Risk Management File FMEA and Control Plans 1
T How do you define your Hazards? <a Risk Management discussion> ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
M Define voltage and frequency to perform tests 61010-1 and 61326-1 for CE certification CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
I Sampling processes - Who must define the AQL level? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 9
V Who should define and own the Design and Development Plan and how to maintain the updates and revisions. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S API Spec Q1 - How to define Management Representative competency for QMS Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 12
M How To Define ISMS (information Security Management System) Scope IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 9
K How to define Expected life service life of medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
S How to Define Importers under EU MDR / Brexit EU Medical Device Regulations 3
MrPhish Should Potential Customer Complaint Outcome Define Registrar NC Rating? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
K ISO 9001:2015 clause 9.2.2 a. - Define the audit criteria and scope Internal Auditing 2
Q QI Macro Histogram - Can someone define *sorted data*? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
H How to define Root Cause when some points are out of control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
I How do you define Risk (Medical Device)? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 30
M SOP or template for a study to Define Storage Conditions of Orthopaedic Implants EU Medical Device Regulations 3
D Definition Client - How does the government define their clients? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
alonFAI How to define a Risk Based Approach for Supplier Management per ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
G How to define the scope of QMS as per ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
R How to define QMS certification scope statement? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Review of "Key Data" for contract labs, but SOP doesn't define "key data". Problem? Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 2
G Procedure to define Signing Authority for Procurement Limits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
P Can a company define new quality standards for special industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
L Are there any requirements to define barcode requirements ? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
X How to define Calibration Acceptance Criteria General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
H ISO 17025 - How to define a "Test Equipment" ? ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
J Where do you define Internal Auditor qualifications? Internal Auditing 9
V Is there an approach to define the "must 'or' should" in supplier audits? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
T Internal Audit - How to define the Importance of Departments and Processes Internal Auditing 8
T Help me understand how to define Processes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 40
L How to define R & D Receiving (Incoming) Inspection Plan Design and Development of Products and Processes 18
B How to define and implement Configuration Management Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
C How to Define and Document Controls of Outsourced Processes Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 5
S Please help me define training requirements for a Career in Regulatory Affairs 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
K How to define the Acceptances Criteria for all equipment? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
L Definition Program - How do you define Program with regard to ISO 9001? Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
A Supplier Evaluation SOP - How do I Define Major and Minor Suppliers? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 14
Q Where to define Authorities and Responsibilities in Documentation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Define Energy Used/Delivered - Applicable to Electrical or Mechanical Power or both? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R 820.50 (A) (2)Define the Type and Extent of Control to be exercised over Vendor Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
A Where to define Process Tailoring Form used in CMMI in the ISO 9001 Quality Manual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
Q Criteria to define QMS processes in ISO/TS 16949:2009 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 23
S How to define New Equipment? Device is Returned, Refurbished or Repaired Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
C Controlling Documents: Beyond the standard, how do we truly define what to control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
C How to define Process Special Characteristics (SC) FMEA and Control Plans 4
kedarg6500 What is the meaning of "define/defined" in ISO 9001? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
Crusader Local Control Document procedure....define it or not? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 24
M Excel Templates for Plan & Define Phase in NPI Process for Tire Manufacturer Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
R Define Data from Taguchi to Response Surface Methodology in Minitab Using Minitab Software 2
K How to define PVC Pellet Quality Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
J How to define a Product's Realization Process and Scope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8