How you ensure that QMS is effective and efficient?

Hello colleagues,
I want to answer the question if our QMS is efective and efficient, do you have any examples from your experience how to measure both?
We have seperate measurment for seperate processes, we do not measure Internal audits process and QMS as a system of linked processes itself. What I would like is to ensure management that QMS adding value to our business, for this I need some facts that it really brings some positive impact on every process and company.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Very simple. Your QMS is effective and efficient when you have:

• High customer satisfaction
  • Few product returns
  • Few complaints
  • Little rework and repair
  • Low COPQ (Cost of Poor Quality)

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
Very simple. Your QMS is effective and efficient when you have:

• High customer satisfaction
  • Few product returns
  • Few complaints
  • Little rework and repair
  • Low COPQ (Cost of Poor Quality)
Sidney, I´d add good profits.
Because you can have all what is mentioned and for that maybe have assigned
a lot of man power and machines (e.g. 5 quality inspector instead of two, three machines in spare in case of failures of the main ones, high cost of raw material to ensure high quality products)
For that your are spending too much money, but how is the profit?
Is it ok, my assumption?

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
You should also be able see if your system's quality objectives are being achieved.

And don’t your internal audits impartially and objectively report effectiveness?

Top management, after all need this input for their review of system performance.

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
To Sidney's list I'd also add internal satisfaction and compliance with the QMS. More plainly, are workers grudgingly use the QMS, complaining about "wasted time" filling out forms, doing procedures, etc., or attempt to bypass parts of the QMS because it seems onerous to them? Even if informally detected, these behaviors can indicate areas of potential inefficiencies in the QMS.

Edit: These symptoms could also indicate inadequate training of workers who aren't grasping how e.g., filling out xyz form really does have an impact on the company.

To Sidney's list I'd also add internal satisfaction and compliance with the QMS. More plainly, are workers grudgingly use the QMS, complaining about "wasted time" filling out forms, doing procedures, etc., or attempt to bypass parts of the QMS because it seems onerous to them? Even if informally detected, these behaviors can indicate areas of potential inefficiencies in the QMS.

Edit: These symptoms could also indicate inadequate training of workers who aren't grasping how e.g., filling out xyz form really does have an impact on the company.
Yes, this is actually one of the issues I want to fix, we introduced QMS and for our people, it perceived as a bureaucracy burden that they need to do, so actually, we do not have any indicators that can tell us that with the introduction of the system it became easier or effective, or we have better satisfaction from our clients, all those metrics were collected before the QMS introduced.
That is a trick in my case, we already had processes that were established and followed years ago and continuous improvement was a day to day activity, all processes had metrics that were used to measure its outputs. So QMS was a kind of more formalized evolvement of our existing processes.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Talja,

What requirement specified by ISO 9001 caused your organization to make your well accepted system disliked or overly bureaucratic?

Would you now eliminate that requirement or was it more a case of overestimating what the auditor would look for?

After all we are meant only to document our system to the extent necessary for effective planning and control.

Thanks.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Do I need a QMS and what do I need to ensure my QMS? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
qualprod Best practice to ensure inputting of data in production Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
M Informational US FDA issued the first warning letter for UDI violations to help ensure compliance Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D How to ensure independence and authority necessary to perform QM tasks ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
N How to ensure our employees don’t grab and use the wrong materials Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
M Controls to ensure that Quality Plans are accurate APQP and PPAP 2
Sidney Vianna IATF bringing stakeholders together to ensure Transition by the 2018-09-14 deadline IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
C UDI Label Verification - How do we ensure the barcode is correct and prove it? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S Digitising Existing Documents to ensure regulatory compliance Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
D AS9100 7.4.1 vs 7.4.3 - Ensure purchased product conforms to specified requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
J Ball Bearing V-Blocks to ensure Lobing and Roundness are Minimal Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
H Methods to Ensure that we are Purchasing what we've Designed Benchmarking 16
T MSA - Repeating Gauge R&R to ensure effectiveness over time Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
T How to ensure Inventory FIFO (First In First Out) by Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
B How does an organization ensure valuable employees are taken care of? Career and Occupation Discussions 10
J How IAQG plans to ensure that correct PEAR level determination is done by Auditors? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
M AS 9100 Transition Checklist to ensure all areas of the new REV C are covered AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M What is the best way to ensure retraining when changes occur? ISO 9001 Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
Q How to ensure quality on the supplier? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
Sidney Vianna How do philanthropic foundations ensure their projects are properly managed? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
S How do you ensure compliance with 4.3.2 - Legal & other requirements? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 31
S How to Ensure Compliance with Noise Exposure Limits? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 11
B How to ensure Configuration Management and Control manually AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
T How to ensure that counterfeit goods do not enter into our supply chain? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
N Note interpretation - Ensure that the preservation of the product has been consider ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Stijloor Toyota to extend development time to ensure quality World News 0
P 5 Ways to Ensure Mediocrity in Your Organization Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
E Protection 7.6 e - How do you ensure the application of this requirement? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D How to Ensure Suppliers are meeting all RoHS Requirements RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 8
G Inspection by Attributes to ensure a 99% Confidence in a Customer Contract Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
I ISO 9001: How to ensure Long Term Internal Benefits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
G To ensure that document changes are identified... Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
T What Verification Method can I use to ensure Supplier Implemented Preventive Action Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
Ajit Basrur How to Ensure DNA Free parts - Molded Parts for Labware ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
F Supplier Audit Form - Process reviews at suppliers to ensure quality Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
J Ensure customer confidentiality - TS 16949 Cl. 7.1.3 Confidentiality Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 7
B What Process will ensure defect detection? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 12
K TS 16949 Training - How can I ensure competence? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
C What should a temporary, remote location have in place to ensure OSHA compliance? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 14
J MSA - Is ISO 10012 the standard we are looking for to ensure the FDA will be happy Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
B Method to Ensure Latest Customer Specifications (Documents of External Origin) Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
D Understanding ?to ensure the changes are identified?? Revision Status of documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 29
J Recurrence of NC - What do you do to ensure that non-conformities do not recur? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
B Reviewing corrective action - How to ensure that root cause analysis is correct Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
F How do I ensure QSR compliance in an FDA company within 12 months ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 33
D Electronic Documents and Forms - How can I ensure forms are entirely completed? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
J 7.6 Process to ensure m and m is carried out IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M Frequency of Measurement Systems Analysis to Ensure Suitability General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
H I see the word 'ensure' in standards - How do I comply? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
J Implementing an ISO 13485 QMS Software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5