HP8481A Power Sensor Calibration - What standards are normally required?

R

Ruebenn

Hi all,

Greetings and a very good Morning to all of you.
I have a question on the calibration of power sensors.

I require some suggestions.
What are the standards normally required?
I see from the certificates given out by Agilent..that they use power splitter,a vna, 3 power sensors of the same model , a cal kit , reflection test set , dual channel power meter and a signal generator.

I deduce that they are using the splitter and then via comparison method to end up with the cal factor of the power sensors.
The power sensor in mention is the HP8481A.
I wish i can have some clarifications on these matters..

My questions are:-

1) Do we have to use software to have this calibration done? or can we perform it manually? I trust the best method would be using the software?

2) If we wish to calibrate other power sensors..the E series,the N series or the USB series(eeprom based), can it be done using the OLD power sensors/meters such as the HP438A and the HP848x series as standards?
If we perform the cal by the comparison method, we should have a standard(working and reference sensor) which must be more accurate that the UUT ,true?

3) Are there any freeware depicting how the calibration is done?
Any softwares that can be used to measure the cal factor uncertainty?

Appreciate the help and suggestion.
rgds
Ruben

J

Joe222

We use Tegam's model 1827 Power Sensor Calibrator for these. I've written a Fluke Met/Cal procedure for testing and computing the calibration factors. As far as the E-series sensors, you need one of the E-Series power meters to download and upload the Cal factors.

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
I am not sure about freeware that can measure the uncertainty but there is a microwave/VSWR calculator available at no cost (I think it is still there) from Agilent.

You will also besides the power meter, need a signal generator that can deliver the frequency and power ranges needed, and depending on whether you go "old school" or not, the list of equipment can grow a lot.

Hope this helps.

R

Ruebenn

Greetings,

Thank you sir.
I have this salesman from tegam approaching me to demo his system but i guess the entire system would be expensive??
But is it true that they can calibrate power sensors in 5 minutes?

Rgds
Ruben

Hershal

Metrologist-Auditor
Trusted Information Resource
If that is the Tegam system that includes the software and the Winchel units, then yes.

J

Joe222

Greetings,

Thank you sir.
I have this salesman from tegam approaching me to demo his system but i guess the entire system would be expensive??
But is it true that they can calibrate power sensors in 5 minutes?

Rgds
Ruben

I know the Tegam 1827 costs around 16k new. It doesn't come with automated software. Other equipment needed with it is a Signal Generator, Power Meter and Multimeter.

Top Bottom