Human Factors & Ergonomics - FAR Part 145.163 'Training Program' - Aviation Industry

• Thread starter Fallen30angel - 2010
  • Start date
F

Fallen30angel - 2010

What do people think about having a specific area for Human Factors as it is now so critical within the Aviation industry? I'm sure there are lots of you guys and gals out there who are in the industry and have issues associated with Human Factors.

I suppose enough interest may spark the creators of the cove forums to organise it.

Many Thanks ;)

Rich Howe
Quality Manager :thanx:

D

Don Palmer

FAR Part 145.163

Hi Rich,

As you may be aware, FAR Part 145.163 'Training Program' rule takes affect here in the United States on April 6th this year. Our company hired a full time in-house training manager some time ago to implement such a training program to meet this regulatory requirement.

Human Factors of course, is an integral part of the training program. At this point in time, I'm not sure how the training manager is going about satisfying this requirement. It's is sure to be interesting though.

Fallen30angel said:
I suppose enough interest may spark the creators of the cove forums to organise it.

I'm interested already.

My:2cents: worth:

We can do early development of this thread here in the Aerospace Forum. Given enough interest (traffic) on this topic, I feel certain the 'creators of the cove forums' would organize it.

Thanks for starting this timely thread.:applause:

Randy

Super Moderator
Human Factors Engineering is a specific area of study that is used in every industry and for evey product which requires the physical interaction between something and a person. In aviation it goes all the way back to the time Castor Oil was used to lubricate engines. Orville and Wilbur had to employ the HFE when they designed flight controls.

Good subject.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Randy said:
Human Factors Engineering is a specific area of study that is used in every industry and for evey product which requires the physical interaction between something and a person. In aviation it goes all the way back to the time Castor Oil was used to lubricate engines. Orville and Wilbur had to employ the HFE when they designed flight controls.

Good subject.

Apparently, "Human Factors" is synonymous with "ergonomics." If that's true, why do we see things like Cornell University's Human Factors and Ergonomics Research Group? Is there a difference?

Randy

Super Moderator
They are considered to be synonymous for the most part.

HFE is extremely technical and to to get fully involved an understanding of human physiology/physcology is necessary. HFE encompases all factors that can influence human activity to include noise, smell, sight, environmental (heat, cold) and of course touch. Even home interior design requires a sense of HFE understanding and employment. Many times the incorporation of HFE is not identified as such, but it is there never the less.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Fallen30angel said:
What do people think about having a specific area for Human Factors...
You now have a Human Factors forum. Let's see what you and the others do with it.

R

RosieA

The question was asked about what the differences are between Human Factors and Ergonomics, so I emailed Professor Hedge at Cornell based on JSW's link and here is the answer he kindly provided:

In the rest of the world apart from the US, Ergonomics is the overarching discipline. Ergonomics (like medicine) is then organized into various sub-disciplines, two of which are physical ergonomics and cognitive ergonomics. Historically, in the US the term "Human Factors" was used for the discipline instead of "Ergonomics" (the modern version is a UK term) and originally Human Factors and Ergonomics were synonymous. The US professional society is the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (with over 20 different specailization areas). Sometimes in the US a distinction is still drawn between "human factors", which is seen as focusing more on cognitive ergonomics, and "ergonomics" which is seen as focuseing more on physical ergonomics issues. In part this distinction is still maintained because of the fact that other disciplines (physical therapy, occupational therapy etc.) have begun to call themselves "ergonomists", but they can't be "human factors professionals" without appropriate degrees.
Hope this clarifies things.
Alan Hedge"

Interesting.

RosieA said:
The question was asked about what the differences are between Human Factors and Ergonomics, so I emailed Professor Hedge at Cornell based on JSW's link and here is the answer he kindly provided
Wow... a bit more complicated than I would have guessed, with the different definitions. Thank's for enlightening us, and send our regards to Prof. Hedge...

/Claes

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
RosieA said:
The question was asked about what the differences are between Human Factors and Ergonomics, so I emailed Professor Hedge at Cornell based on JSW's link and here is the answer he kindly provided:

In the rest of the world apart from the US, Ergonomics is the overarching discipline. Ergonomics (like medicine) is then organized into various sub-disciplines, two of which are physical ergonomics and cognitive ergonomics. Historically, in the US the term "Human Factors" was used for the discipline instead of "Ergonomics" (the modern version is a UK term) and originally Human Factors and Ergonomics were synonymous. The US professional society is the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (with over 20 different specailization areas). Sometimes in the US a distinction is still drawn between "human factors", which is seen as focusing more on cognitive ergonomics, and "ergonomics" which is seen as focuseing more on physical ergonomics issues. In part this distinction is still maintained because of the fact that other disciplines (physical therapy, occupational therapy etc.) have begun to call themselves "ergonomists", but they can't be "human factors professionals" without appropriate degrees.
Hope this clarifies things.
Alan Hedge"

Interesting.

Thanks, Rosie. If I understand the professor's murky response correctly, the distinction (possibly not fully recognized in the US) is that ergonomics has to do with physical issues and human factors is concerned with cognitive or perceptual issues. Does this dichotomy align with what the OP was asking, or is the use of "human factors" in this context synonymous with "ergonomics" in the sense the professor uses? If it's just "ergonomics," why don't we call it that and avoid the confusion?

Top Bottom