Human Factors / Usability validation in the time of COVID

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
Last December, I had what I thought was a pretty solid Human Factors Validation Plan for Class 2 device seeking 510(k). Enter COVID-19: Interactions with clinicians have been forced virtual and said plan went out the window. Has anyone attempted a virtual summative study?

I'd hoped to see some guidance from the FDA, but no such luck. Once a plan is in place, it can be reviewed via Q-sub, but I'm struggling with how to start writing it. Shipping devices directly to participants just seems way too risky/uncontrolled.

I'd appreciate any feedback from others navigating the same. Thanks in advance.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Haven't yet been confronted with this but I understand your concern.

Is it not feasible to conduct it virtually? Is it a cost issue or a product type issue?

I don't think the data would be questioned if you could do it remotely and still accomplish the same objectives. You might even wrap a little risk assessment around it, acknowledging the deviation from the original plan, and asserting the data still supports your conclusion of a UI promoting safe and effective use.

pziemlewicz

Involved In Discussions
Is it not feasible to conduct it virtually? Is it a cost issue or a product type issue?

I don't think the data would be questioned if you could do it remotely and still accomplish the same objectives. You might even wrap a little risk assessment around it, acknowledging the deviation from the original plan, and asserting the data still supports your conclusion of a UI promoting safe and effective use.
It is a product type issue: the device is used for open surgical procedures. Historically, testing has happened in an OR/lab setting using porcine organs. The user should be able to concentrate fully on device function in use case (i.e. not worry about whether the temperature of the organ, blood flow, etc are being controlled in accordance with body protocol).

levatorsuperioris

Starting to get Involved
don't know how you would do training etc, then 1 hour cool down. this is something that I don't think anyone had to really answer before. Given how expensive Usability Testing can be its gonna be up to the firm if they are willing to take the risk.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
I take it training is intended to be hands-on? You may have to switch to a model of interactive virtual sessions / video. (Not ideal but if options are limited, may be the best you can do.) Maybe re-think the risks of the training approach and there may be things you can do to supplement.

I'm curious where you came up with the "1 hour cool down." If training is a risk control, then "an appropriate elapsed time to accommodate learning decay" should occur. I would expect that to be > 1 hour (but I guess if training isn't a risk control that's fine).

I think that being creative and doing the exercise will be better tolerated than not doing the exercise.

levatorsuperioris

Starting to get Involved
I asked the question to the FDA and Taiwan FDA once in a joint presentation -> you are correct, but practicably the answer was well because its always been that way.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Usability/human factors engineering requirement (standard) for IVD medical device Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
P Global medical device human factors/usability requirement IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 3
M New MHRA guidance on Human Factors - Usability Engineering IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 1
L BSI White Paper on Human Factors/Usability Engineering IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 12
Y Applying Human Factors and Usability Engineering - FDA Guidance Document 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S New Draft FDA Guidance - Human Factors & Usability Engineering for Med Device Design US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
D Is Human Factors testing mandatory for a 510(k) submission? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 16
A Interesting Discussion Human Factors as Root Cause AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
P Interesting Discussion Addressing Human Factors in Corrective Action AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 23
T New EU Medical Device Regulations - Q1/2 2017 and Human Factors Other Medical Device Related Standards 10
S IEC 62366 vs. FDA Human Factors Requirements Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
M Human Factors Testing for CE Marking of a Cosmetic Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
F FDA officially recognizes HE75 Human Factors Standard IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 8
arios FDA and Human Factors - Article to share Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
J Class II Medical Device Submission - Human Factors Study Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
A Hand-Out for Human Factors Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 7
H Ergonomics Metrics (Measureables) - Human factors engineering Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 39
D Human Factors and FAR Part 145.163 'Training Program' Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 9
F Human Factors & Ergonomics - FAR Part 145.163 'Training Program' - Aviation Industry Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 20
H PFMEA - Looking for a table with Human Factors FMEA and Control Plans 2
A 6.4 Work Environment - Human and physical factors of the work environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Q User Requirement Specification for HR (Human Resource Management System) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
M HR (Human Resources) based software recommendations Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
H Human Resources Process Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
M Informational EU – Meeting minutes – Competent Authorities on Substances of Human Origin Expert Group Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational UK – Contingency legislation covering regulation of medicines and medical devices in a no deal scenario – Human Medicines and Medical Devices (Amendm Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
J Deciding between Professional Use or Lay Person IVD Test - Human fecal stool specimens Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
M Informational Technology and innovation of human implants | Panel for the Future of Science and Technology (STOA) | European Parliament Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J0anne Implantable Devices - The effects of surgical scaffold implanted into the human body Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 8
M What is required to run human clinical trials in France EU Medical Device Regulations 9
M Informational USFDA Final Rule – Human Subject Protection; Acceptance of Data From Clinical Investigations for Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Nonconformance to a Note in ISO13485 clause 6.2 Human Resources Effectiveness ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
S Is Human Factor Testing required as part of Design Control Validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Sidney Vianna ISO/TS 30411:2018 Human resource management - Quality of hire metric Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
M Nanomaterials? Products based on human cell or tissue derivatives? EU Medical Device Regulations 7
S Medical Devices incorporating human tissues EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S ISO 13485 Cl. 6.2 Human Resources - Personnel working within the QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Sidney Vianna Good news! Energy demand will peak for the first time in human history! Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 1
Colin Pressure Vessels for Human Occupation (PVHO) Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
H Certification for Indoor Human-Robot Collaboration Safety Positioning System Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 4
T Human Error vs Technique Root Cause (Categories) Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 9
Document Dame How to Monitor Suppliers for Human Trafficking AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
C Clinical Requirements for HO (Human Organ) Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 10
K Poka-Yoke for Quantity Shortage caused by Human Error Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
O Acceptance criteria bacterial endotoxins immunosera for human use Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Marc Personnel Department to Human Resources Department - Changes over Time Career and Occupation Discussions 1
S Human Factor Summative Study Class III Device RA Checklist wanted Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
M Auditing Human Resources and Finance Departments ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
P GS1 NHRN AIs - Creating Barcodes for Human Product Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
N Non-conformances due to Human Error Nonconformance and Corrective Action 64