SBS - The best value in QMS software

Hundreds of Medical Devices & Accessories - 3 DHF's?

A

Anoniem

Goodmorning!

Thank you for all the help this forum gave me. I need some direction, hopefully somebody can help me with this:

We develop and manufacture medical devices; class 1 (EU) class2 (USA). Since we start to export to the USA, I would like to reorganize the DHF's.

We have about 500 sellingcodes, all different configurations of- or accessories to the parent medical devices. These can be divided into 3 groups with each their own intended use. So I was planning to create 3 main DHF's which include the most complex and risk full devices, the parent devices. (about 30) I can include the requirements, risk analysis, verification, validation etc for those devices.

But how can I prove a FDA auditor that we planned and controlled the design of the other configurations and accessories? An excel list with references?

Thank you for your support!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Re: Hundreds of devices & accessories, 3 DHF's?

Generally speaking, I don't see a problem with dividing your product range into 3 families and creating 1 DHF for each. However, if your design control documentation is not complete (some devices design / development is not covered by the existing docs) it might be a problem. Most US class II devices need design control, regardless of whether you consider them low-risk or not complex.

Q

QA-Man

If you're reorganizing your documents (or doing anything that's not routine) make a Quality Plan that describes the purpose, scope, responsibilities, milestones, etc. Hold some meetings to review things and update your plan.

This way if you're questioned on the reorganization you can demonstrate that you ensured the integrity of the quality management system is maintained when changes to the quality management system are planned and implemented - (bold an italic text copied from ISO 13485 2003 definition of QMS Planning)

rwend07

Involved In Discussions

Generally speaking, I don't see a problem with dividing your product range into 3 families and creating 1 DHF for each. However, if your design control documentation is not complete (some devices design / development is not covered by the existing docs) it might be a problem. Most US class II devices need design control, regardless of whether you consider them low-risk or not complex.
Going along with this, although accessories generally fall into the same category as the parent device, if the accessories are clearly a different device that could fall into class I, it may be worth leaving them out of the main DHF's and have them listed under a Class I classification as they would not then need design controls. This would only work if they clearly fit into a listing other than the parent device that is in Class I.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member

Going along with this, although accessories generally fall into the same category as the parent device, if the accessories are clearly a different device that could fall into class I, it may be worth leaving them out of the main DHF's and have them listed under a Class I classification as they would not then need design controls. This would only work if they clearly fit into a listing other than the parent device that is in Class I.
Not all class I devices are exempt from Design Control, so it needs to be verified for each case.

rwend07

Involved In Discussions

Not all class I devices are exempt from Design Control, so it needs to be verified for each case.
Correct, sorry for the confusion. I would say that if a part is a minor accessory to a parent device it is unlikely to fall into one of the categories of Class I that requires design control though. Either way, it's worth considering.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Hundreds of Processes! How to simplify ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
R REACH and ROHS compliance for hundreds of parts made over 25 years REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
P REACH - A few of the hundreds components in my product no longer meet requirement REACH and RoHS Conversations 2
M How to validate hundreds or even thousands of parts? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
M Simplifying Supplier Evaluations for hundreds of Suppliers Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 6
P GR&R on automated test system which produces hundreds of results Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
J Annual PPAPs - Keeping Up with Hundreds Of Customers And Hundreds Of Part Numbers APQP and PPAP 12
Marc Plane Delay Leaves Hundreds Whiney Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 0
Marc Days After Worker Buyouts, GM to Cut Hundreds of Salaried Jobs World News 4
Marc McAfee Update Breaks Hundreds Of Apps After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 3
B Procedure packs with non-medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A Medical device labelling Date of manufacture US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
W Non Sterile Medical Device Environmental Tests Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
ebrahim QMS as per ISO 13485, Clause 4.2 Requirements for regulatory purposes for Medical Devices Authorized Representatives. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
A Clinical assessment sample size - Medical device Class IIb implantable (93/42 directive) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
K 25-year lifetime of medical device - document storage period EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Relabeling an existing medical device in the field? Other US Medical Device Regulations 6
J Should a Class 1 medical device with an option to measure body weight be considered Class 1m? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
A Reliable sources for following EU medical device regulatory EU Medical Device Regulations 0
T IVDR Medical device software CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 8
A Customer Approval (Medical Devices) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
N ISO 13485 7.3.9 Change control in medical device software ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J Requirements as a Distributor for Incoming Inspection of Purchased Finished Medical Device Medical Device Related Regulations 0
S Microwave medical waste disinfectant - A medical device or not? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
S Registration of Medical Device in Hong Kong - labeling requirements Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
D Electrical Medical Devices class I EU Medical Device Regulations 0
J Are complaints applicable to development of medical devices? Customer Complaints 2
V Software as medical device (SaMD) replicated for multiple clients through APIs IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
M Is the output of a device a Medical Device? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
P Do we need to retrospectively use the "MD" symbol (indicating device is a medical device) on labels, e.g. finished devices within expiration date? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Do I need separation in my circuit with a medical charger? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
L Medical device registration in Iran Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
P ISO 8 classified medical manufacturing room Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
H EU CE marking for Medical Device Class I EU Medical Device Regulations 2
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturer - Does the CM need to register with FDA? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Brian Benzarti Medical Devices CLP Regulation Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
JoCam Certified QMS for MDR - Class I medical device manufacturers EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Compatibility studies - Medicinal Product and Medical Device Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
K CE Marking Class 1 (Non sterile) medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
J Medical Device Regulations in Lebanon? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
dgrainger Informational Medicines and Medical Devices Act 2021 UK Medical Device Regulations 0
J Calibration cycle for monitoring & measuring tools used in medical device manufacturing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S Medical Device MRI Compatibility EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M NICE Medical Technology Evaluation Programme - Recommendations Service Industry Specific Topics 0
A ISO 13485 for Class 1 Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
R Components to a finished medical device, MDR requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
J Warnings/Cautions in Medical Device IFU Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 4
L Medical device HIPAA compliance in encryption Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
A Sampling plan for in-process QC (medical devices) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
M V&V phase: Justification of acceptance criteria (statistical method ) - (Medical Device) Design and Development of Products and Processes 2