I am looking for some information on stud welding

J

Jim Biz

Technical Stuff

Well - not hiding info mind ya (especially from the female population in the group) but will attempt to type this out as proffesionally as possible without it reading real BAAAAADDDD!!;)

The variables we talked about were - How Clean the Mating stock was at each joint and the point of contact equipment condition (often any type of moisture/oil/dust/dirt in a weld joint or on the weld nozzles can cause problems)

Also the electrical power inputs and "cover gas mediums" used in the process can be a major variable ... if not in an air-flow shielded environment. :eek:

Best information for voltage/thickness settings can be researched at the American Welding Society website. I believe its https://www.aws.org/

The stregnth of contact/cleanlieness and position of Grounding the weld piece can also play a part in lack of fusion. (improper position and weak ground connections can cause what is termed "Arc Blow" - :ko: that seldom occurs with newer weld processes - but can happen even with a mig weld setup. (its a magnetic pattern thing - I'll not try to explain here.)

Last I heard from Carol they had a tech- rep in and discovered what was termed as "cold plunge" on 2 of 4 - 8/32" studs welded to 16 gage sheet.... The failure rate was 50%

A bit of fixturing - updates and changes have at least improved the 50% failure rate but I don't know by how much at this point.

Now hopefully everyone has an idea at least of the end result
;)

Possibly Carol can give us details on what physical changes were made to the holding fixture to resolve ???

Last edited by a moderator:

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
update

You guys are BAD!!!!!!!

I can think of a few other things I might inject here.....but.....grrrrr, I digress.....LOL

Ok - I will try to muddle through this update best I can. I am learning as I go, as we do a minimal amount of stud welding. Apparently, we were loosing current because our positioning fixture holes were too small, causing minor arcing, and preventing proper fusion of the material. We changed collars (I think this is the right term), corrected our positioning fixture, and we now have no failures (we love testing for failures!!!)

Jim - I hope this decribes the solution. I am out of the office today (2 sick kids home from school), so I don't have my notes.

Thanks again for all your help.

And to the rest of you

:eek: LOL

Regards,
CarolX

A

Al Dyer

Carol:

"...we were loosing current because our positioning fixture holes were too small, causing minor arcing, and preventing proper fusion of the material."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Be prepare for some more "off color" responses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great day, this is one of the more interesting topics that have come up in a long time.

Just remember that a stud has a short life span if not properly conditioned with some type of heating element.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Al, part of your mind is in the gutter. I mean, honestly.

Jim and Carol, thanks for the specifics. In all honesty I do like the specifics in the posts as much as possible, That's how we all learn here. Sometimes we see something like this and later run into a similar situation and - Bingo! I remember where we were discussing.... The more details (within what you feel comfortable saying with consideration to possible company proprietary info) the better. :thedeal:

Details? Yes, please. Always.

J

Jim Biz

But then again

Thanks for the update Carol !!

Marc - I agree & hope the details help...

Reality is that - many of the "technical terms" used in welding practices can be interpreted in a number of ways... many of which can be seen as very humorus.. if one is in that particular mode...

(Al - to clarify - that's not saying that the humor isn't appreciated from time to time ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc

Leader
Too much fun to keep it private. I've already sold the rights to this thread to Oprah.

J

Jim Biz

Marc: I'm assuming you were referring to my first draft explaination of a "one-time private affair message" :biglaugh:

Maybe we should stay from explaining the various types of Stud - Forms? (I don't think I could even make Oprah understand) :lick:

Marc

Leader
And to think yesterday I spent almost an hour talking with a client about his horses and his Stud Farm.

A

Al Dyer

Marc,

I do take some umbridge to the comment!

In my career I have come to know that certain types on products need some type of heat treating. I am not a "proffesional" in the heat treating field but I do know some of the basics.

I did not start the topic, and quite a few members, including you started the somewhat lewd responses. i.e. "I won't touch that comment"

The first part of my post just warned that it could lead to some "off color" comments. The second part of my post was a real response.

To Carol, my response was real!l

Top Bottom