I am looking for the best practices on calibration labeling

C

curran18

where can i find a copy of the ISO 17025 document . I am looking for the best practices on calibration labeling

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
curran18 said:
where can i find a copy of the ISO 17025 document . I am looking for the best practices on calibration labeling

You can purchase a copy of the standard here but I'm not sure how much help it will be insofar as calibration labeling is concerned. What would you like to know?

C

curran18

Can anyone help me with the best practices of allowing personal tools within a calibration faciltiy? Should personal tools be allowed and if so what control should be applied to overcome the culture of workers

G

Grizz1345

:) The basic rule of thumb is if it is used to accept or reject parts then it needs to be calibrated. Tools used in a tool dept for the manufacture of jigs and fixtures also need to be calibrated. This was true under QS900 but I cannot find it in the new ISO9001. Also I found that the thread gages that I calibrate I put the label on the handle and then put shrink tubing over it to protect the label. Hope this all helps.

Wesley Richardson

Wes R
Trusted Information Resource
curran18 said:
Can anyone help me with the best practices of allowing personal tools within a calibration faciltiy? Should personal tools be allowed and if so what control should be applied to overcome the culture of workers

At the metals testing laboratory that I previously worked at, we initially allowed the use of personal tools, primarily micrometers. These were all uniquely identified and in our calibration recall system, so they were calibrated on a regular basis. One problem we often encountered was the personal tools were usually locked in the individual's tool box.

We later went to no personal tools were allowed in the facility, if they were used to make any type of measurement. The company provided the measurement tools, and items like micrometers assigned to individuals. Hand tools such as wrenches, files, pliers, and screwdrivers that were not used for measurements, were owned by the individuals. Large or expensive tools were owned by the company and were shared.

It did require a constant vigilance because many employees would still bring in their own steel scales, micrometers, dial indicators, and we had to keep after them to take them home.

For a limited number of measurement items, it was less expensive to buy new ones, with calibration, than to recalibrate ones we had. For those, we gave them to the employees, with the stipulation that they had to be taken home, and could not be brought back into the facility.

I am not aware of any requirements in ISO 9001 or ISO/IEC 17025 that prohibit or allow employee owned equipment. The only requirement is that they must follow the same requirements as company owned equipment, if they are used for measurement or testing.

Wes R.

sonflowerinwales

In the country
We used sticky labels covered in clear tape for gauges in house. They used to come off at times with oil and coolant. One of our customers used zip ties and cable markers. Almost indestructable, but bulky.
Our personal equipment was part of the company calibration system, (17025 and 9001) and used the same periods and controls. The company gave us discount on equipment we bought for use at work, something to do with a tax dodge I think!
Paul

Top Bottom