I-Chart and X bar Chart Control limits

G.Pito

Starting to get Involved
Dear experts,
I am trying to provide a SW tool oriented to MSA and I have a simple questions:

1) Does I-Chart (individual Observation chart) need always to be associated with MR Chart? I need MR chart in order to calculate I Chart control limits UCL and LCL don't I? Does it make sense to show only I-Chart witl UCL and LCL = Mean +/- 3 sigma?

2) Same question for Xbar-chart: does it need alway R-Chart to be associated with?

Thank you for supporting a newbie :)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Re: I-Chart and Xbar-Chart Control limits

The quick answer is:

1) The MR chart provides redundant information and is not necessary. That is, anything unusual in the MR chart is also apparent in the I chart.

2) The R chart is necessary because it does provide information about subgroup variation that is not found in the Xbar chart.

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
The short answer is you need the movR to calculate the control limits for the individual chart, even if you do not plan to chart movR values on a separate chart. Simply using +/-3S limits will give you wider limits than using 2.66*movR.

With subgroups greater than 2, the xbar and R (or S) chart is imperative as was stated, it contains useful information, as well as being able to calculate the Xbar control limits.

Dear experts,
I am trying to provide a SW tool oriented to MSA and I have a simple questions:

1) Does I-Chart (individual Observation chart) need always to be associated with MR Chart? I need MR chart in order to calculate I Chart control limits UCL and LCL don't I? Does it make sense to show only I-Chart witl UCL and LCL = Mean +/- 3 sigma?

2) Same question for Xbar-chart: does it need alway R-Chart to be associated with?

Thank you for supporting a newbie :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L The ARL for an X bar Control Chart (n = 5) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
L How to interpret the average R bar Value shown in the R Chart Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
O Main difference between X-bar sigma chart / X-bar range chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
M What is the difference between X Bar - R Charts and Average Chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
S What decision rules should be applied for x bar-R chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
I I-MR Chart vs. X-bar & R Chart - Differences Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
R Calculation Mean for Control Chart -X Double Bar Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
R X Bar R chart - Interpretation in MSA study Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M X-Bar Chart - CQE Problem to Solve Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
K Individual x Chart - Why use the equation is barX+2.66 bar(MR) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
S Validity of Craig Hane's Global Local Index for X-bar R Chart Assessment Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
Q X-bar R chart question from CSSBB - QCI CD Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
A Monitoring Out-of-control situations on X-bar and R chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
S Creating X bar R Chart using XYZ coordinates Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
D X Bar Chart - How can I deal with missing values in subgroups Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 12
D x-BAR, p or U chart? Plastics compounding line Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
K X bar & R Chart Result - Analysis of the Graph Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 28
W Warping / Flatness SPC - X bar-R chart - Control is Max 0.15 Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
K Formulas for X bar & R Chart with one sample size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
R X bar s chart template / form for Excel .xls Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
S X bar R chart - Bushing reaming ID - 7 points above or below the center line Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
K Seeking: X bar R chart software - Or how to do one in Excel Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
K Control limit - How is table for x-bar & R control chart derived? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
Z Putting back excluded rows/data points in a control chart Using Minitab Software 0
B Control chart and sample time Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Control chart for huge sample size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
R Capability analysis - What is going on this chart? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
S How MR (Moving Range) in Z-MR chart is calculated Using Minitab Software 5
M What is "setup control chart"? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
D Virtual Documentation via Master Flow Chart? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
A Redesigning our process flow chart, PFMEA and Control Plan Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 4
K Vigilance process flow chart EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Control chart applicable? Percentage of compliance with a standard Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
G I-chart form for GM GP-12 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
B How to do a control chart - Machining product that requires flatness control Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
D China - Where I can get NMPA complete structure/organogram chart and GB/YY format list China Medical Device Regulations 1
K Turtle diagram or process interaction chart - Making it easier for an auditor Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 19
D Should "Waste" be included as Output in SIPOC Chart? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 8
S Assembly House Process Chart ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
K Why calculate LCL in P-chart? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
B GM GP-12 Pre-Launch - They asking for a I chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
bobdoering SPC Charting frequency calculator for X hi/lo chart Imported Legacy Blogs 0
K Operating characteristic (OC) curve S chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
K What is the Beta RISK for S chart OF XBAR-S chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
S Understanding control chart and measurement capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
F Appropriate Control Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S used excel formula calculated the ARL's with Rule1&Rule2 for Shewhart control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
H How to define Root Cause when some points are out of control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
L Formulas to be able to answer these Run Chart questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7