I failed my CQE Exam

ifserav

Involved In Discussions
I fail my CQE exam, i just got 530 from minimum 550, any advice to get the minumun 550 the next time?

Thanks in advance.

Sergio Avila

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Re: I fail my CQE Exam

I fail my CQE exam, i just got 530 from minimum 550, any advice to get the minumun 550 the next time?

Thanks in advance.

Sergio Avila
You didn't fail, you just didn't pass on the first try. :D Lots of people have to take the test more than once. As Stijloor suggests, you should have a good idea about which areas were difficult for you, and that's where to focus.

BradM

Staff member
Admin

You didn't fail, you just didn't pass on the first try. :D Lots of people have to take the test more than once. As Stijloor suggests, you should have a good idea about which areas were difficult for you, and that's where to focus.
And I'm one of them.:) I didn't pass the first time.

They typically send you the results, where you know what you need to work on.

Now.... my main problem? I did not have my reference material organized. I was too busy trying to look up everything in Juran's handbook. Just not the best way.

So I got the handbook and the primer. I learned what the sections were, and how to find the material I needed for the questions. The second exam went much better. :agree1:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

And I'm one of them.:) I didn't pass the first time.

They typically send you the results, where you know what you need to work on.

Now.... my main problem? I did not have my reference material organized. I was too busy trying to look up everything in Juran's handbook. Just not the best way.

So I got the handbook and the primer. I learned what the sections were, and how to find the material I needed for the questions. The second exam went much better. :agree1:
I seem to recall a whole slew of threads on tips to be an efficient test taker of ASQ "open book" tests. Was that here in the Cove or over in the ASQ Forums?

Govind started some of the threads I'm thinking of.

Another source of help are local ASQ Sections. The two Chicago-area Sections regularly run seminars on test-taking in general and offer courses on each of the specific tests throughout the year.

Time management (not lack of knowledge) seems to be the downfall of most folks who miss a passing grade on the first go-around. Brad alludes to this in his description of the wasted time trying to find things in Juran's weighty tome.

The more actual experience a test taker has in a field, the more likely he has a general idea of the answer and only needs to look up a detail. The actual test is NOT the time to try and cram on something completely unknown to the test taker - better to move on and answer what you DO KNOW, then come back for those posers with the remaining time.

Language barriers can be huge - the subtleties of the English language can throw even native English speakers and completely puzzle the ESL test taker.

BradM

Staff member
Admin
Good point, Wes.:agree1: Actually, I think Govind put them in both. I believe there is quite a selection of that here.

I was very disorganized for the first exam. The second one, I put tabs on the handbook, and versed myself of where they were. So my order of research was:

1. Primer first
2. Handbook second
3. Juran's handbook last.

:)

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
I didn't fail any of the three ASQ exams I've taken, but I was warned in advance to be organized and prepared to manage the limited time. I actually took the primer and, because the text in it is so big, copied four pages onto one page double-sided. That way I could see 8 pages of information at a time instead of two. I put frequently used tables and information on separate pages, laminated them, and kept them out for quick reference. I limited myself to the primer and one other book (I can't remember which one right now) that I could find information in quickly. I also put sticky-note tabs in the book and primer to be able to find information quickly.

A

amanbhai

I didn't fail any of the three ASQ exams I've taken, but I was warned in advance to be organized and prepared to manage the limited time. I actually took the primer and, because the text in it is so big, copied four pages onto one page double-sided. That way I could see 8 pages of information at a time instead of two. I put frequently used tables and information on separate pages, laminated them, and kept them out for quick reference. I limited myself to the primer and one other book (I can't remember which one right now) that I could find information in quickly. I also put sticky-note tabs in the book and primer to be able to find information quickly.
I did exactly the same as you did. Wow!

A

amanbhai

My personal experience says that one has to be much more organized for CQE exam than any other exams. For CQA I remember, I took the lead auditor course on ISO 9001 and then with minimum preparation I passed the CQA exam.

J

JAltmann

One thing do is make a copy of the index of each reference book, this really speeds up looking up items i don't already have a tab for.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Transformation of Data Normality Failed Using Minitab Software 11
C TL-9000 Certifying Body Issue - Auditor failed to find an issue for 10 years TL 9000 Telecommunications Standard and QuEST 16
J Ignoring a Failed Gage R&R and upcoming external audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 22
A Failed the AS9120B Exam Twice.....Need Help AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
S FDA electronic submission gateway (ESG): FAILED eMDR Submission Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
Q How to manage with customer % failed product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
D Will A Few Failed Solder Joints Make Me RoHS Non Compliant? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
R Registrars offering to perform Second Party Audits - Have they failed their role? Registrars and Notified Bodies 112
N Final Inspection Retesting for Failed Batches Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
S Statistics and Sampling - Accounting for Failed Tests Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
D Failed 350-018 exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
G Gage Recall Analysis - Threaded Plug Gage has failed Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
P Is it necessary to perform Root Cause Analysis for each failed part? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 16
S ISO/TS 16949 In Doldrums - Just failed disappointingly in the ISO9001 System Audit General Auditing Discussions 7
Q Micrometers to Measure Coating Thickness - Failed Calibration Flatness & Parallelism General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
S Heating Test Failed - Capacitor in secondary exceed its rated temperature IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
Marc A NASA Failure Analysis of the April 28 2010 failed balloon launch World News 0
Moncia Traceability System to trace Failed Product for Corrective Action ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
Marc Saturn: Why one of Detroit?s brightest hopes failed World News 4
R My C=0 sampling failed to detect parts are out of round Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 20
S Supplier Development Process failed - Question regarding sub-suppiler audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Canadian Medical Device License Requirements - What if we failed to meet it? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Readiness Review Failed - Stage one audit for TS16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Marc Has an Implementation by a Consultant EVER Failed? Consultants and Consulting 62
E Jumpstarting a Failed System ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
M About companies that have failed a surveillance audit Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
A Employee Support after Failed Promotion - Feelings of rejection, disillusionment, etc Career and Occupation Discussions 1
A Failed Re-Certifications - 9th Cycle Survey posted on the ISO website Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
P Thread plug gauge failed calibration - Must I remeasure everything measured with it? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 23
S Failed Calibration - Plain Plug Gages - They grow! General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 24
O Marketability of CQE vs CMQ/OE Career and Occupation Discussions 1
A Mistakes in the CQE Study Guide Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
O ASQ CQE Exam Experience, Home versus Exam Center ASQ - American Society for Quality 0
R ANSI/ASQ Z1.4. for CQE Exam Professional Certifications and Degrees 9
Y ASQ CQE and CSSGB; What next? Career and Occupation Discussions 1
T ASQ CQE vs CMQ/OE Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
E CQE or SSGB for a new career Professional Certifications and Degrees 8
andika_untoro ASQ CQE Exam Group for Dec 2019 / Jan 2020 Preparation ASQ - American Society for Quality 18
S AQL Inspector's Rule - bring into CQE Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 5
M Differences in CQE, CSTE, CSQA, CQA Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
W SSGB vs. CQE certification? Professional Certifications and Degrees 2
R CQE vs CQA vs CSSGB vs CWI Professional Certifications and Degrees 0
B I have CSBB Cert - CQE vs. CMQ/OE next? Professional Certifications and Degrees 4
O CQE Handbook - Missing Section VII - Risk Management Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
L CQE Quiz - Something I made up to make aspiring CQE's head hurt Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
J Sampling Plan Questions from the CQE Practice Exam Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J CQE References allowed in the Exam Room Professional Certifications and Degrees 18
P CQE Work Experience - New to Industry Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
A CQE exam primer Control Limit question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Do CQE exam questions repeat in next exams? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1