I have a feeling that my talent is not utilised properly

M

meensy

Hi,

These days i have a feeling that my talent is not utilised properly.

This is mainly due to indecisiveness of the boss.

This is even after taking all the initiatives : When we know what all is to be done? But boss does not take necessary steps to initiate the activities.

What do we do then?

is it too vague a question???

Regds

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Hi, Meensy.

Have you thought about taking the initiative yourself? What projects do you think should be done that would help your organization? Plan them. Present them to your boss.

If your boss doesn't wish to implement your ideas, ask why. There might be something happening a level you can not see.

I know from my own experience, that my boss likes it when I take the initiative to think up projects that could potentially help the company. And when there is nothing for me to improve upon at the time, I'll focus on my routine activities or take some professional development courses.

C

Carl Keller

Drink more.

Just kidding.

I think we have all run into this at some point during our carreer. I tend to use the extra time I have to keep up on the latest trends in the discipline, and develop 3 to 5 new initiatives that I think would be of benefit. Chances are, only 1 or 2 of those initiatives will get noticed at all, but it is better than beating my head against the wall and not being recognized for my talents. Knowing when to drop a project is just as important as knowing when to drive it hard.

Whatever you do, DON'T start second guessing your capabilities or value to the company. Hang in there, the tide will turn.

Carl-

W

WALLACE

meensy said:
Hi,

This is even after taking all the initiatives : When we know what all is to be done? But boss does not take necessary steps to initiate the activities.

What do we do then?

Regds
Your no different from the rest of us my Meensy.
You might just have to be patient, get used to this situation or move on.
It's that simple.
Wallace.

A

amr1234

Moving on can be a good option. Staying in a position where there are constant roadblocks is oppressive at best. Update your resume and move on.

:eek:

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
meensy said:
Hi,

What do we do then?

Regds
I'd suggest reading some of Tom Peters work. A lot of stuff is available for free on is web page http://www.tompeters.com. His recent book "Reimagine" is well worth it.

An indecisive boss can be an asset. It requires decisiveness to stop you from doing something! :whip: Remember why Colonel Hogan wanted to keep Colonel Klink around? :lmao:

K

Kevin H

I've got to agree that moving on is an option - I left my last employer after they filled my manager's position without posting it with someone who wouldn't make a decision. I was willing to go around him to the next level - the only problem was that person was also not willing to make a decision. It also became apparent (from the company's actions in other departments) that if a decision was made, and it turned out wrong someone would be identified as a scape goat and would be fired. (NB - this was a change in the company that occured after they were sold to a competitor. The new corporate management style was very different from the company I originally joined.) Moving on should not be done lightly, but needs to be an option considered in light of the overall corporate environment, and one's personal needs. A better option may be to consider trying for an internal transfer to a different department/manager.

Meensy, good luck whatever your decision.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
My sympathies also. As Wallace points out, this feeling you express is felt by many of us from time to time. Steve rightly points out that writers like Tom Peters recognize this and have devised some workable strategies.
CAUTION: Read and use these strategies carefully! The root cause behind a manager's seeming indecisiveness can range from mental illness to being stymied by a higher level executive. You need to determine the root cause before you can implement a workable strategy to cure your own situation in the chain.

Ultimately, as some (many?) will suggest, the battle may be too difficult and you should consider retreat (job change.)

Whatever you do, use the problem solving skills and tools from Quality to work out the best deal for yourself.

:topic: The array of skills and personalities here on the Cove assure a wide range of possible solutions being offered, but the bottom line is you must be aware whether your own experience, skills, personality, and financial situation will allow you to implement any specific solution.

Last edited:

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Wes Bucey said:
The root cause behind a manager's seeming indecisiveness can range from mental illness to being stymied by a higher level executive. You need to determine the root cause before you can implement a workable strategy to cure your own situation in the chain.
Exactly what I was trying to get at. :agree1:

Wes Bucey said:
Ultimately, as some (many?) will suggest, the battle may be too difficult and you should consider retreat (job change.)
And this, to me, should be a last resort. Only when you have tried to resolve the situation at work, and tried every other path possible, should a job change be implemented. Of course, as a former Girl Guide/Scout, I adhere to the motto of "Be prepared!" and my resume is updated regularly.

Wes Bucey said:
Whatever you do, use the problem solving skills and tools from Quality to work out the best deal for yourself.
:applause:

M

meensy

Thank you!

Thanks all !!

Thanks Wes Bucey! Will try to map the replies with the situation at my end before deciding anything. Cove is real help.

Regards,

Top Bottom