SBS - The best value in QMS software

I-MR SPC used for Inspection

A

a team

Background to the question...I was at a company that is has quality auditors going from cell-to-cell for first piece and last piece inspections. The results were recored in an SPC software to create an I-MR. The quality auditors were instructed not to record any parts that failed the FP check...only record the one part the first good piece. (the approach is flawed) The auditor only records the first piece and last piece for a run for a total of two pieces per part off.

The question is this...has anyone else ran into or records only first piece checks in an I-MR. If so, do you feel this effective?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
Unless there is a specific belief as to why the first part and last part are critical, I would much prefer to see a random sample of the run. But (assuming that you change so ALL data are recorded as found), I don't see why an I-MR of the first and last piece would not have at least some value, assuming that you are not in a tool-wear scenario.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
I see this type of behavior (only recording the passing results) quite frequently in many companies. While well intended (the operator inspector or supervisor is focused on the need to record values representing what was shipped or accepted) it is wrong. Aside from the obvious censoring of data, There is much more value in the failing results than in the passing results.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Unless there is a specific belief as to why the first part and last part are critical, I would much prefer to see a random sample of the run. But (assuming that you change so ALL data are recorded as found), I don't see why an I-MR of the first and last piece would not have at least some value, assuming that you are not in a tool-wear scenario.
I agree totally with BevD's comments. To address Steve's comment: If the variation in a given process is primarily setup dependent, such as in a stamping operation, the first piece after the setup has concluded is an excellent indicator of the entire production run. If the major source of variation is not setup, then Steve's comment is dead on.

M

Matt33

Collecting data on the first and last part might be acceptable if only three parts were made. But if 3,000 parts were made, does the data obtained from the first and last adequately represent the rest of the data?
If ?Yes? is the answer, can this be proved?
If ?No? is the answer, then it seems logical to collect more data throughout the process.

D

Darius

Collecting data on the first and last part might be acceptable if only three parts were made. But if 3,000 parts were made, does the data obtained from the first and last adequately represent the rest of the data?
If “Yes” is the answer, can this be proved?
If “No” is the answer, then it seems logical to collect more data throughout the process.
The first part seem to be a critical point because is a change of setup of operation, :2cents:IMHO in precontrol is recommended not to take the first items because of that (you have a different condition, and you can't chart different conditions), and one can say the same for the SPC methodology, normaly you are not starting the machine.

As stated before on this tread is better to take samples randomly, but you can obtain the control limits for one case and the other (the current procedure against the randomized sampling) and check if they are different, so it can be proved (that they are different, not that it need more samples, but you can do the same for more sampling).

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
If ?Yes? is the answer, can this be proved?
If ?No? is the answer, then it seems logical to collect more data throughout the process.
it depends on the process and part/material

there are processes where there is no substantial change from start to finish except when a shift occurs and that shift is typically sustained. and yes it can and has been proven. htat is what capability studies are for. (real ones not just the 'check the box' Cpk study)

of course there are processes where it absolutely doesn't make sense to sample only the first and last piece.

As always the actual physics of the situation rule.

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
I agree totally with BevD's comments. To address Steve's comment: If the variation in a given process is primarily setup dependent, such as in a stamping operation, the first piece after the setup has concluded is an excellent indicator of the entire production run. If the major source of variation is not setup, then Steve's comment is dead on.
Usually last piece is there to pick up anything that might have occured after set-up, such as tool chipout, etc. Better to know now....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rameshwar25 Which tool should be used first - MSA or SPC Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 30
R Format that can be used to get supplier SPC annual work plan - Seeking Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
Stuart Andrews Has anybody ever used the Powerway SPC software module? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 1
D Reducing the Number of SPC Charts used: We have many highly capable processes Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
M Can/should SPC be used in administrative areas, purchasing, sales, planning... Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
A SPC procedure / flow chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Informational SPC in Batch Processing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
B Handling lower detection limits for SPC and process performance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
A How to reduce the process SPC monitoring Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 3
P SPC for machining processes Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
J SPC - Stamping parts - Small batch size Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
T Attributes SPC study - Attributive control (Go gage) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
S Anyone Familiar with "SPC for Excel" add-in? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
G Assignable cause/corrective action list for SPC Software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
H SPC for special characteristics - CSR - Control of SC and CC Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
J Determining SPC tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 21
L SPC - Methods to collect data IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Marc Steve Prevette's Statistical Process Control (SPC) "Library" Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
A SPC for Eddy Current Testing Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 28
S SPC (Statistical Process Control) for Unilateral Tolerance - Questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Proud Liberal Informational Use of Classical SPC in Precision Machining Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
J Recommendations on Inspection/SPC Software Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Q Real Time Electronic SPC/Control Charting Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
Rameshwar25 Other types of Control Charts described in Chapter II of SPC Manual Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
A Electric terminal crimping machines - Is SPC appropriate for this process? Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
J Properly understanding SPC - Newbie SPC questions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 34
bobdoering SPC Charting frequency calculator for X hi/lo chart Imported Legacy Blogs 0
bobdoering Handy training tip for SPC - the Check Engine Light Analogy Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 0
QMMike SPC Software for MAC computers Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
Marc SPC based Dashboards - By Steve Prevette (November 2017) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
H SPC Work Instructions (WI) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S Doubts about SPC taken in Machining - Part has +-0.01 Tolerance Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
A Short Term vs. Long Term SPC Study - Where is Cp and Cpk Defined Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
E SPC for Dummies - The correct meaning of all the graphs Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
Tagin Can/should SPC be applied to Computer Assembly and Software Imaging? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
P Recommendations on SPC Software or Excel SPC add-in(s) Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 6
A Not all characteristics follow a Normal Distribution - How do you do SPC Chart Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
T SPC in Insurance Back Office Operations Service Industry Specific Topics 4
C SPC for Particulate Alert/Action Levels Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
E SPC Production - Getting Cpk and Ppk Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
M SPC with many data points from one dimension Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 16
Q Mixed data collection (SPC) for different mold cavities Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M How to Start SPC from the ground up! Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
bobdoering Available SPC and Metrology Consultants Paid Consulting, Training and Services 0
I SPC on Cyclic Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
S SPC Card for One Sample Size - Customer requires for all critical dimensions Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
R Quality Management & SPC Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
B Is SPC data For Special Characteristics always required? TS 16949 clause 8.1 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S How to Start SPC in a Shaft Grinding Section Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1