I need help in corrective action plan

Sam Bat

Starting to get Involved
You are the Quality Manager for an organization, and the company XYZ Auditor has assigned you an audit nonconformity.
The XYZ nonconformity indicates that the organization's internal audit program contains nonconformities that have not been closed within the specified timeframes in the Quality Manual.

Create an appropriate corrective action plan for this nonconformity, including containment, root cause analysis, and disciplinary action.
Let's take one example for this case.

Sam Bat

Starting to get Involved
Thanks Jim, for the support! Actually, this subject came up during my training course, and I'm still deliberating and pondering; I haven't yet come up with a response.

Randy

Super Moderator
The #1 question is "Why weren't they done?" Answer that and figure out how to fix the problem and how to keep it from happening again. No more complicated than that.

I've another issue here ....
disciplinary action

Disciplinary action? Really? I'd wager your MS is considered more of a hinderance and burden than it is a useful, helpful tool.

Disciplinary action? It doesn't get more negative and harmful than that. Good luck with proactive, positive buy-in.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Thanks Jim, for the support! Actually, this subject came up during my training course, and I'm still deliberating and pondering; I haven't yet come up with a response.
I'll second Randy's observation about disciplinary action. Was this subject covered in your training?

Ajit Basrur

Leader
Admin

You may have been given a scenario or some background behind the delay. This is a great situation to apply containment and then a root cause analysis using tools like 5 Whys, Brainstorming and coming up with a root cause. The CA and PA will then have to be devised based on the root cause

Sam Bat

Starting to get Involved
Thank you Ajit for the feedback.
I just thought of this case. Kindly inform me of your thoughts.

Problem: An old version of the pre-task planning form was being used on the job site.
  • Why? The hard copies in the job binder were the wrong version.
  • Why? Because the version of the form that came from the office was the wrong one.
  • Why? Because the admin printed the binder forms from the wrong electronic file.
  • Why? Because he/she saved copies of these forms in his/her own files. When the master form was updated, his/her was not.
  • Why? Because employees aren’t required to access forms from just one central location( this is the root cause).
The corrective action was:
  • Audit each division’s files to find and eliminate saved copies of forms.
  • Create a single master Forms-Documents list with hyperlinks to each form.
  • Assign responsibility for updating the list and limit access to one person.
  • Train employees on new procedures.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
An exam question suggesting that one person working alone should determine and remove the root causes of a nonconformity from the system is a nonsense.

Corrective action is a team activity; preferably a cross functional team to bring their knowledge and to obtain their buy-in to any solutions.

Top Bottom