I need help in corrective action plan

Sam Bat

Starting to get Involved
I completely agree with you, but here in the course, they aim to ensure that the student understands the fundamental stages and procedures, but to get exceptional outcomes, teamwork must be unquestionable.
I appreciate your insight.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
I completely agree with you, but here in the course, they aim to ensure that the student understands the fundamental stages and procedures, but to get exceptional outcomes, teamwork must be unquestionable.
I appreciate your insight.

I do teach a stats/data analysis course at Southern Illinois University where a primary course objective is "Apply data in its various forms to decision making." I do believe that Dr. Deming's Red Bead Experiment (google it) provides a lot of good initial lessons on quality and improvement.

I'd suggest being wary of the phrase "teamwork must be unquestionable". There must be the ability for team members to question things, even other team members' opinions, in a respectful manner. Too many efforts fail due to "group think".

As an instructor I encourage my students to collaborate and do research such as you have embarked on here at the Cove. I just do provide the suggestion that you provide attribution to your sources as you answer questions for the course and determine that this is within your instructors' rules for conduct. Is this a company training course or a college course? It can help us to guide you if we know some context.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
Here are my thoughts (in italics)

Problem: An old version of the pre-task planning form was being used on the job site.
  • Why? The hard copies in the job binder were the wrong version. This seems very important, though we should verify that because the worker followed the out of date version, the fault occurred.
  • Why? Because the version of the form that came from the office was the wrong one.
  • Why? Because the admin printed the binder forms from the wrong electronic file.
  • Why? Because he/she saved copies of these forms in his/her own files. When the master form was updated, his/her was not.
  • Why? Because employees aren’t required to access forms from just one central location( this is the root cause). We next need to identify is there a document control program (that is, the central location). If that doesn't exist or is inadequate (been there, done that) we need to go further.
The corrective action was:
  • Audit each division’s files to find and eliminate saved copies of forms. I would say this really isn't an audit action. Line management should be tasked to eliminate unauthorized copies of the documentation, then verify this was done, and set up periodic monitoring (perhaps an addition to a management by wandering around checklist).
  • Create a single master Forms-Documents list with hyperlinks to each form. And make it accessible to the workers who use the procedured.
  • Assign responsibility for updating the list and limit access to one person. Good to give responsiblity, but bad to make it access by only one person. What if they are away for vacation, training, family emergency etc?
  • Train employees on new procedures. Okay, if the central repository had not existed before. If it had existed, and employees weren't using it, likely training would not solve this. And sounds like the office and admin workers also need to be trained, if they will still be the ones printing out the procedure.

JeanPierreSant

Registered
since the comment contains no specific case to discuss it's ideal to take this on a theoretical route. All NC's require some form of change in the system to achieve compliance and therefore should follow the below steps:

Investigate
Risk Assess and Containment
Immediate Corrective Action
Root Cause Analysis
Preventive Corrective Action
Verify the effectiveness of the Corrective or Preventive Action implemented.
Repeat as necessary.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
There are two pertinent questions here:

1) Was the specified closure time frame appropriate?
a) Different types of issues need more or less time to address. Arbitrary closure times set us up for failure unless there is a way to adjust them.
b) If arbitrary closure time frames are specified, address that through process change. Consider how you will decide what your process will define based on the "...without undue delay" clause in the standard.
2) Was there a resource constraint? If so, define the nature of that constraint and address accordingly. This could be about sickness, but could also be about some manager pressuring that person to apply him/herself elsewhere; the person could also have left the organization for some reason, or could have been so poorly trained as to not know anything about the need for expediency or what to do within the process.

Since it appears the cause was not provided to you, the answer must be to identify the cause and devise a plan of action based on that identification. The result could be an answer that is so vague that you would not otherwise possibly believe it would be acceptable. But the fact is, I do not see ay cause described so there is nothing to make an actual action plan for.

Top Bottom