I need help on Six sigma and TQM - Quality Management course discussion question

A

Aarnes

I'm now studying a master course in Quality management, my lecturer gave us a n interesting question... made me so confuse!! please help me..
the question is "Discuss ISO9000 quality management system, Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award, Kaizen and Six Sigma about their role in Total Quality Management."

With my understanding to run TQM in a company, first is to apply kaizen so that to build up a culture of continuous improvement in the company. the ISO 9000 is a guideline and the requirement to meet a certain requirements on the qty system in the company. then can apply six sigma as the employees are prepared for continuous improvement on the existing qty level. As the above tools are base on solving problems or minimize defects which did not involve any finance concern. but with the applied qty systems and finally profits can be increased then it suits the requirements of the Malcolm Award.

Pls comment on my understanding.. thank you very much!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Re: I need help on Six sigma and TQM

I believe that ISO 9001 and Malcolm Baldrige are more focused on the overall system. They will help the organization to determine priorities, to define the processes, and to implement the controls necessary to achieve results. Kaizen and Six Sigma provide tools to improve the established system.

T

Tom Slack

Hi Aarnes,
Thank you for an interesting post! Also, thank you for telling us that it is homework.:thanks:

To organize these quality programs, I suggesting looking at the Deming's Plan, Do, Check, Act cycle. By demonstrating how programs support these functions, the complex concepts will be packaged in bite size pieces.

Some points might be: Which programs would help with assessments. How does an organization innovate. When an innovation (improvement) is implemented in one department, how does the organization leverage this into increased profits. Once improvements are made how does an organization keep them from slipping. How does an organization separate opinion from fact.

Good luck!

Tom

J

janedoe

I'm now studying a master course in Quality management, my lecturer gave us a n interesting question... made me so confuse!! please help me..
the question is "Discuss ISO9000 quality management system, Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award, Kaizen and Six Sigma about their role in Total Quality Management."

With my understanding to run TQM in a company, first is to apply kaizen so that to build up a culture of continuous improvement in the company. the ISO 9000 is a guideline and the requirement to meet a certain requirements on the qty system in the company. then can apply six sigma as the employees are prepared for continuous improvement on the existing qty level. As the above tools are base on solving problems or minimize defects which did not involve any finance concern. but with the applied qty systems and finally profits can be increased then it suits the requirements of the Malcolm Award.

Pls comment on my understanding.. thank you very much!!
First, a business system (such as ISO, TQM etc) are "continuous information, management feed-back systems" based on BS5350....a now defunct British system standard, and MIL STD 9858A (also defunct).

TQM is now more a philosophy (or an acronym applicable to maintenance) than it is a viable system approach.

ISO, QS, DS, AS, etc. are systems that, if met, demonstrate that a business has the ability of understanding and meeting customer requirements. That's it. It does not mean the compant can make good parts or satisfy a customer. For the greater part, business pursue these as a means to open the sales and marketing door in the EU rather than as a viable means of meeting customer requirements.

These systems have a paradime: To provide a means of meeting customer requirements, we (the company) have to do things the same way each and every time. Wrong. How many customers, having a concern, willl report to the supplier yet that same supplier will fail to meet the customer requirements in the form of altering its business system? Almost none. This happens when those business are "locked into" a method that is ineffective and, not wanting or willing to change, continue to make the same errors.

Six-sigma is both a philosophy and a means to bettering the business using the DMAIC tools. The forward thinking business identiies its important business activities and improves them NOT for imrovement sake, but because an opportunity, aligned with the strategic business objective, presents itself. It uses quality of conformance, delivery quality, safety, and cost as its major dashboard signals. Anything else that may "get in the way" with these metrics are abandoned or subordinated. After all, it is silly to maximize an area of the business when it is determental to the whole. Six-sigma looks at the whole value stream not just a section of it.

A culture is built when the man in the corner office understands those things that drive the business. Six-sigma provides this.

In the past, a person was selected to implement QS (or ISO or whatever). The general manager didn't want to be bothered with its development, and never could it cost more than 50 dollars to install. In short, he was divorced form his own business. That is why these systems fail (or have very limited success).

Look now at Jack Walsh from GE. He was very interested in, and supportive of, the business culture provided in the framework of Six-sigma. You know a business leader is truely interested when the first questions he asks at his staff meetings are about the (Lean) Six-sigma initative at his company. Those responding do so using the tools and language of a practitioner.

(Lean) Six-sigma provide the vision & tools necessary for a company to be successful. ISO etc. does not. The two are compatible, however.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Need help with Project Charter for my Six Sigma Green Belt Project Six Sigma 1
Z Rework Reduction Six Sigma Project - Need help Six Sigma 5
J Need Help with FPY Data in Assembly Process Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
S Need help on "Country of Origin" Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Need Help With Information Security Asset Risk Register IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
C ISO/ IEC 17021 Resource requirement (need help) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
SocalSurfer AS9100 new certificate, but need QMS software, help Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
S Need help with analysing a survey on minitab Using Minitab Software 1
K A proposal for the model Quality Management - I need help for the project ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
R Probability - Need a help to solve the below question Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
8 Need Help - Runout - Function Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
S New to FAIR, need help in filling it out AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
R Pls help --- Need expert advice on Video Measurement Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
Ajit Basrur Need help to understand HIPAA requirements ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
Z I need help with getting a CFS in China Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Need help wrapping my head around confidence vs beta error Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
P Received a minor for not having good measureables/goals. Need help with KPIs. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 52
A Failed the AS9120B Exam Twice.....Need Help AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
Ajit Basrur Need help in Conditional Formatting for the entire row Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 3
H Need help on Quality Improvement Plan (QIP) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
S Help: Need Control Self Assessment Questionnaire for HR Departmental Functions Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 0
M Need help in Calibration of Directional Coupler General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
L Need HELP with Internal Audit Program ISO 13485.2003 Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
J Supporting Processes - Internal Audits - Need help settling a debate IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
A Cpk Formula seems off, need help!? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
A Need Help With AEA Auditor Related Situational Questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
E Transformer Overload Test - Need help IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
C I Need Help with Drafting Conventions!!! Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
M Need help on QMS Development in an AS9100C certified organization AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
R Need Help on Analysis: How to know potential causality model from historical data Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
B Need help tracking training for my business Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 3
B Need help with a Control Plan for Encapsulation Mold / Trimming / Forming Tooling FMEA and Control Plans 9
S I need help from all of you bros Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
LRE67 Need help identifying this "thing" Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
G Need help on Device Description in the Acceptance Checklist for Traditional 510(k) Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
K Need help finding a book on Documentation Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 8
J Need help/advice on video editing software etc..... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
L Need Help with Case Study Questions Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
W Help explaining the need for the Process Approach AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Ron Rompen Unusual problem with Excel - Need some help Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 7
S Need help on new TS 16949 Rules IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M Need help with Network Analyzers and which DUT can be Calibrated with it Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
R Need help on defining scope for Design Verification File for Class III IVD 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
J Help I need your opinion on a News Letter Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 15
N Need Help Preparing for Medical Device Quality Engineer Interview Career and Occupation Discussions 2
B Need help on an application we are working on Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Q Need help on MSA study on a torque analyzer Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B Need help in adding second location to FDA Registration Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
T A survey on problems during ISMS implementation - need help IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
Z My first Gage R&R - Paper/Poly/Foil Material Bond Test, need help Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15