I need to make an MSDS for PCB (Printed Circuit Board) Assembly Product

P

Phyllis

:) Hi Folks,

I am working in a PCBA manufacturing firm. Many of the Japanese clients are asking for the MSDS of our product(OEM). Any idea to create one as we do not have any chemical expert in our company?

My idea is to elaborate it into component level like PCB, solder paste, components, ask the suppliers to provide the MSDS for the materials then to consolidate into one MSDS. Any comment?

However, I think we have to prepare the Product Safety Datasheet will be more appropriate instead.

:truce: Phyllis

B

Bridget

Sounds like a plan

Hi Phylis:
I understand your problem, we often have to collect data from suppliers to consolodated into one MSDS and for the suppliers who cannot supply me with enough information I just searched with google until I find the company who manufacturers the "base" material and start from there. Most of ours are metals and I am not a Metallurgist!

FYI-- there are EU directives that idenitfy the format and the requirements for our medical devices. You might ask you customer if there is any such format or requirements to fit their needs before you start the project.

If your components are significantly different you will just have to list them in one document the best you can, you are the one who understands the most about your product. Companies in Japan will request the CAS# (Chemical Abstract Number) and not every material has one, just be honest and tell them. You can search for the CAS in your search engine and learn more about the number system.
Good luck,
Bridget

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Phyllis said:

I am working in a PCBA manufacturing firm. Many of the Japanese clients are asking for the MSDS of our product(OEM). Any idea to create one as we do not have any chemical expert in our company?

My idea is to elaborate it into component level like PCB, solder paste, components, ask the suppliers to provide the MSDS for the materials then to consolidate into one MSDS. Any comment?

However, I think we have to prepare the Product Safety Datasheet will be more appropriate instead.

Hi Phyllis:

You may find this useful. http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/legisl/msds_prep.html

B

Bridget

Good Link

Thanks Al,
That is a good link and I have bookmarked it also.
Bridget

Al Rosen

Leader
Super Moderator
Bridget said:
Thanks Al,
That is a good link and I have bookmarked it also.
Bridget
Try these too.

http://www.msdssearch.com/Default.htm

http://www.msds.com/index.asp

Phyllis:

I believe there is an exemption in the US for electronic circuit board MSDS' since they do not pose a hazard during normal handling and use. The issues are raised for the materials used during fabrication and assembly. Also, Japan may have regulations that are somewhat diffeferent than the US and sometimes language differences create misunderstandings. You may want to research this before supplying anything. But, the files attached may be useful.

Attachments

• MSDS scrap cktbd.pdf
    259.3 KB · Views: 685
  • MSDScktbd.pdf
    131.1 KB · Views: 503
  • chemicals.pdf
    84.4 KB · Views: 570
P

Phyllis

Thanks for your information and assistance

Hi Al and Bridget,

Thanks so much for your help and the information are very useful to me. Today, I have attended a seminar, which was conducted by SEIKO EPSON(2 Japanese managers) on Green Materials Purchasing. They introduce the RoHS Directive, and the date directive obligation take effect on July 2006 in Japan.

I would like to share the EPSON WEBSITE as followings:
1) Materials related to Green Purchasing
http://www.epson.co.jp/e/community/environmental_gpurchasing.htm

2) Materials related to Lead Free
http://www.epson.co.jp/e/community/environmental_leadfree.htm

They are useful also for a "fresh" guy(like me) in handling Japan green purchase policy and survey...

:thanx: Phyllis

hmt3660

Registered

Can you please help share the detals of MSDS for assembled PCB.
[email protected]

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
One issue is they are no longer called MSDS's, they are SDS's. And there is an international Global Harmonized Standard for the labeling and SDS'.s If you google "creating an SDS" you will find lots of ads and other pages for how to do it. One example is at How to Create SDS under the GHS | MSDS Authoring Services Inc.. I do not attest to the validity of the information there, it is just one that came up upon search.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
FWIW...beyond the "How do I?" part...there is lasting liability involved.
If you don't have a reasonably capable, and defensible, person already on board you may want to consider having an outside agency or consultant prepare the SDS. Offloading the liability is typically worth the money.

(It isn't really offloading the liability, but having somewhere to pass the buck later if needed).

Randy

Super Moderator
Hey guys this is from 16 years ago, all one has to do is a Google search on "Printed Circuit Board MSDS or SDS" to get answers and examples

Top Bottom