I thought that MIL-Q-9858A, MIL-I-45208A and MIL-STD-45662 were obsolete

D

dbulak

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that MIL-Q-9858A, MIL-I-45208A and MIL-45662 were obsolete and have been replaced. Can anyone give me info on this?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D

David Hartman

Each of the specs that you noted were made obsolete by the DLA in 1996, as a part of the "Perry Initiatives". They were not "replaced" per se. At that time it was left up to the contractors to define the standards that they would operate under (e.g. ISO9001, etc.). In some cases, such as ESD control, the contractor could even define a company-specific standard/policy.

Hope I have answered your question.:)

E

energy

They are still around

I know of a Company that still uses those "obsolete" specifications on their website. My understanding is that if the Customer, in this case the U.S. Navy, allows you to stay with these specs., it's perfectly acceptable. Also, in this case, the Navy is their only Customer. So, if you can convince your customer, they are acceptable. To me, why change? The "modern" standards are no improvement. They just muddy the water and have nothing to do with the quality of your product. JMHO;) :smokin:

G

Graeme

An escapee from the mysterious ways of the government!

Aah, I wish I had ready access to the "canned" response that was in my computer when I was working with an acquisition agency ... now I have to rely on faulty memory ... :rolleyes:

The Department of Defense regularly reviews military specifications and standards for continued applicability and effectiveness. In 1996, then-Secretary Perry directed that whenever possible, existing international, national or industry specifications and standards should be used by preference, and he greatly speeded up the the rate of review. The eventual result will be that a MIL-STD or MIL-SPEC will exist only if it fills a military need that another document does not exist for. As an example, I know of companies that have failed to get government contracts because they did not have an ISO9000- registered quality management system.

Many old documents have been cancelled; some have replacements and others do not. You can always get the current status of any DOD specification or standard at the Acquisition Streamlining and Standardization Information System (ASSIST) web site. (Free registration is needed to access some features.)

Some key points that I remember are:
  • In a NEW acquisition, the governemnt cannot require the contractor to use a canceled standard or specification.
  • A follow-on contract can require use of the specifications and standards that were in the original contract, even if they are now canceled.
  • The Contractor can always suggest using any specification or standard, even obsolete ones.
Your contracting officer should be able to provide you with the most current rules.

As to the specific standards mentioned:
  • MIL-Q9858A and MIL-I-45208 were canceled without replacement in October 1996.
  • MIL-STD-45662A was canceled in February 1995 with ANSI/NCSL Z540-1-1994 as the suggested replacement.

E

energy

Re: An escapee from the mysterious ways of the government!

Graeme said:

[*] A follow-on contract can require use of the specifications and standards that were in the original contract, even if they are now canceled.
[*] The Contractor can always suggest using any specification or standard, even obsolete ones.
Thank you, Graeme. I believe the second reason shown is the one the Contractor has utilized. They make a one of a kind, very, very important product and are privately owned. They chose not to go ISO and the Customer (Navy) hasn't insisted otherwise. And, as I said, they are their only Customer. Nice position to be in.
:ko: :smokin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Nice explanation, Guys.:bigwave:

I think MIL-I-45208A is still a good basic QMS standard and that there are companies out there who may not wish to go thru the gyrations of ISO 9001-1994 or -2000 that could use 45208A as a good blueprint for a nice, user-friendly, basic QMS.

Sometimes an old, otherwise "obsolete" 1963 Chevy truck can do the job just fine, even though the newer models make it "obsolete". Use what works for you and your customer even if others might think it is obsolete, salt it with a nice dose of common sense, mix in desire and hard work, and you just might kick the butts of some of the ultra-modern companies out there!

I once had an application requiring an oscilloscope that was particularly sensitive on one of its functions. None of the new 'scopes, from any mfr., could match the spec's. of an old, tube-type 'scope weighing about 70 pounds.

D

David Hartman

Actually Mil-I-45208A has never been known as a QMS. It is in-fact an "inspection system", and that only. It's requirements are virtually limited to requiring an inspection of the product prior to shipment, and segregating/dispositioning any nonconforming products.

That said, I have worked with Mil-I-45208A, Mil-Q-9858A, NHB 5300.4(1B & 1C), AQAP 1 (NATO Spec) and many other Mil/Gov/Fed and commercial specs/standards and have determined that it really doesn't matter which standard a company chooses to (or is obligated to) work under if they choose to do the right things for their business and for their customer any of these baseline templates will work. Because it's not the standard that makes a company succesful, it's their (upper management on down) concern for doing the right things in the right way for them and their customer.

I have worked with a sheet metal shop that provided formed sheet metal panels to be used by a supplier of spaceborne products to NOAA. The shop maintained no inspection activities (either at incoming, in process or final/prior to shipment), they did not have "calibrated" guages, nor did they have any documented procedures; but they had skilled sheet metal workers (average of 23 years of experience) that through contract provided these formed panels with virtually no rejects/returns from the customer (the customer had made arrangements to act as the incoming inspection and final inspection points.)

It was apparent to those of us that were receiving these panels that this sheet metal company had an excellent QMS (one though undocumented, existed in the form of company culture) which provided us with more consistent product than many of our "certified" suppliers.

It's not the Standard that matters, it's the culture behind it.

G

Greg Maggard

Military Std

Yes we are in the process of If you will, "SIFTING" through the old and the new Military Standards. I can not access the site earlier mentioned in the thread. I'm looking for MIL-STD-105 &414. Could anyone help :bigwave: :thedeal:

D

David Hartman

Greg Maggard said:
Yes we are in the process of If you will, "SIFTING" through the old and the new Military Standards. I can not access the site earlier mentioned in the thread. I'm looking for MIL-STD-105 &414. Could anyone help :bigwave: :thedeal:
Although I don't have 414 I can provide you with 105E (attached). :bigwave:

OK, so I can't upload the PDF file since it's 2.5Mb (.5Mb too big). So I will try to email it to you. :frust:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Asian Supplier Sampling Plans besides MIL-STD-105? My thought was ISO 2859? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
Marc Technology and Innovation - Easter Weekend 2017 - Thought Cartoon Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
somashekar OHS Clarity of Thought on Requirements Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 8
Marc Facebook and Privacy - Food for Thought After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 8
Marc Wheels on Luggage? Who would have thought of that? Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 11
Chennaiite "Unusual Situation" in Gemba? Just Food for thought Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 0
U Shewhart, Deming and Data - a thought provoking article Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
bobdoering The Penta-Lobe Thread Rejection - Just when you thought you have seen it all Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 9
P Food for Thought on Merck Vaccine Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Manix I read this and thought of you lot!! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Stijloor Thought for the day..... Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 4
V Quality Control Index - We thought that Cpk or Ppk would be good choices Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
M APQP timeline and definitions - Info I thought I would share APQP and PPAP 8
M Has anyone thought of doing their procedures in powerpoint (.ppt)? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 20
Wes Bucey Just when you thought it was safe to surf the internet. . . World News 12
A Quick Test - Are You 98% or 2%? You just thought about.... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 123
Marc Dead Horses - Dakota tribal wisdom - Thought for the Day Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 5
Y Examples of TRB Reports for MIL-PRF-31032 Qualification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
Marc MIL-STD-810H - 31 January 2019 Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
R Electrical contact resistance testing in MIL-DTL-5541 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
K MIL-STD-2000 Certification Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
G Mil-Std-130N, can calibration be a nationally traceable standard? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
R Salt spray per Mil-DTL-5541 coupons required 5 or 10 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
E AMS-H-6875 compared to MIL-H-6875 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S MIL-HDBK-217 - Understanding the various Environmental Conditions Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
M Help interpreting MIL-STD-105E Single Sampling Plans Tables Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A MIL STD 105 D or ISO 2859-2? Receiving Metal Sheets Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 6
A Inspection Plans - How to choose AQL (MIL STD 105E) Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 1
D International Standards (ISO or MIL) for MTBV Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
J Mil Std 810 G test 516 vs IEC 60068-2-27 - Classic Waveform Shock Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
K Black Anodize Color Specification per MIL Spec Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S Ionograph Testing - MIL-PRF-55110 Confusion AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
C Medical Device Tracking Sampling Plan using MIL-STD-105E Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
alonFAI Fungus Testing per MIL-STD-810F Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
E Post Machining Casting Defects with MIL-STD-2175 Requirements - Responsibility Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
T Test Plates for MIL-DTL-1766: Chemically Neutral Wrapping Paper Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
R MIL-STD-120 replacement? Calibration Work Instructions refer to MIL-STD-120 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Mil Spec Parts: Who can make and sell them? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
C Environmental Stress Screening (ESS) - Difference between MIL-HDBK-344 & 2164A Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
sonflowerinwales ECSS to MIL standards, is there a table? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
Mikishots Trying to locate a LEGIBLE MIL-STD-105E copy Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
K Mil-Std-2132 (Nondestructive Examination Requirements) needed Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C C=0 vs. AQL MIL Standard 105 E - Sampling Plans Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
T Difference between MIL-STD-105 and ISO 2859 AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
S Definition What is "Bailed Property"? (from MIL-Q-9858A, Section 7.2.3) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
S Providing Evidence of Compliance to MIL-I-45208A and ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
H Section Modulus - MIL-STD-883, Method 2004 - Definition Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
S MIL-STD-1686 for ESD Compliance help wanted Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
A The status of MIL-HDBK-217G Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 9
V Using an AQL of 0,0 with MIL STD 105E AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4