Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

IATF 16949:2016 clause 8.4.2.3 - We don't have ISO 9001:2015 certificate

Hello friends,

Looking for a clarification on IATF 8.4.2.3; My company is a greenfield and supplying parts to an IATF certified automotive customer for the last six months. They approved us by conducting supplier evaluation audit. Next month they are going to face 1st surveillance audit. The thing is, we dont have ISO 9001:2015 certificate but IATF implementation is under process. We have only consultant's implementation timing plan.

Now, how could my customer justify the scenario to the audit team..? Any suggestions please!

Hendor

Involved In Discussions
Hello MK Ilayaraja!

Your customer (eg a Tier 2) must have an authorization from his customer (eg Tier 1) in order to buy and use yours products.

A report of the 2nd part audit, showing that your company meets the requirements of ISO 9001, should be shared a the (eg Tier 1), to request acceptance.

I recommend that you see the sanctioned interpretation # 8 on this clause (8.4.2.3), which includes the note:

NOTE: The minimum acceptable level of QMS development may be compliance to ISO 9001 through second-party audits, if authorized by the customer.

To see the sanctioned interpretations:
IATF 16949:2016 Sanctioned Interpretations (SIs) – International Automotive Task Force

I hope my comment is helpful

It's right here in the note to the SI

"NOTE: The minimum acceptable level of QMS development may be compliance to ISO 9001 through second-party audits, if authorized by the customer. "

So it's not really your problem. Your customer needs to seek approval from their customer. Happens a lot with small legacy suppliers.

Hello MK Ilayaraja!

Your customer (eg a Tier 2) must have an authorization from his customer (eg Tier 1) in order to buy and use yours products.

A report of the 2nd part audit, showing that your company meets the requirements of ISO 9001, should be shared a the (eg Tier 1), to request acceptance.

I recommend that you see the sanctioned interpretation # 8 on this clause (8.4.2.3), which includes the note:

NOTE: The minimum acceptable level of QMS development may be compliance to ISO 9001 through second-party audits, if authorized by the customer.

To see the sanctioned interpretations:
IATF 16949:2016 Sanctioned Interpretations (SIs) – International Automotive Task Force

I hope my comment is helpful
Thanks a lot!

It's right here in the note to the SI

"NOTE: The minimum acceptable level of QMS development may be compliance to ISO 9001 through second-party audits, if authorized by the customer. "

So it's not really your problem. Your customer needs to seek approval from their customer. Happens a lot with small legacy suppliers.
Thanks! Much helpful!

Dr. IJ Arora

Starting to get Involved
Hello friends,

Looking for a clarification on IATF 8.4.2.3; My company is a greenfield and supplying parts to an IATF certified automotive customer for the last six months. They approved us by conducting supplier evaluation audit. Next month they are going to face 1st surveillance audit. The thing is, we dont have ISO 9001:2015 certificate but IATF implementation is under process. We have only consultant's implementation timing plan.

Now, how could my customer justify the scenario to the audit team..? Any suggestions please!
My thought is ISO 9001 should have been implemented. The IATF 8.4.2.3 in a way connects risk to not having ISO 9001!! In effect you could interpret this to mean, without ISO 9001, you have created the scope for risks.
If you already have a system in place, and it confirms to ISO 9001, which it should, if you are already well advanced in implementing IATF, then why not self declare you confirm to ISO 9001?
Do feel free to ask additional questions.

Top Bottom