Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

IATF 16949:2016 Section 8.5.1.2 item d) accessible for use at the designated work area(s)

Hello,
I have a question in regards to IATF 16949:2016 Section 8.5.1.2 item d) accessible for use at the designated work area(s).
Can anyone give me some guidance on what "designated work area(s)" means? Let's say we have a manufacturing line with 6 work stations, do the standard work instructions (one for each station) have to be posted at each station or can they be within a Binder located at that manufacturing line?

Thanks!

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello,
I have a question in regards to IATF 16949:2016 Section 8.5.1.2 item d) accessible for use at the designated work area(s).
Can anyone give me some guidance on what "designated work area(s)" means? Let's say we have a manufacturing line with 6 work stations, do the standard work instructions (one for each station) have to be posted at each station or can they be within a Binder located at that manufacturing line?

Thanks!
You have answered your original question, in your example. You have 6 lines therefore you have 6 designated work areas.

Either a binder at each work station would work or electronically as long as they have access to them.

At one place I worked at they had a dummy terminal that was used to show a slide show on what they were doing.

Just my opinion.

You have answered your original question, in your example. You have 6 lines therefore you have 6 designated work areas.

Either a binder at each work station would work or electronically as long as they have access to them.

At one place I worked at they had a dummy terminal that was used to show a slide show on what they were doing.

Just my opinion.
Thanks for responding. I do want to clarify a little more. One manufacturing line consists of 6 work stations, would it be ok to have one binder located at the end of that line that includes the standard work instructions for each station?

brandieb1230

Involved In Discussions
We have multiple stations on an assembly line and keep a work instruction book at the front of the line. Each station has a quick standardized work chart but detailed instructions are not in each station. We have been through multiple audits, even a witness audit this year, and no issues.

I am afraid this one falls into the horrible category of it depends.
it depends on who is your auditor, and what their interpretation is of the standards.
Some will accept the 6 work stations as one, and a binder at one point will be OK, another will expect the full control plan, FMEA and WI to be available at all 6.

As for customers, well I have seen this as an argument on the shopfloor between two customer auditors, with my local QM in the middle not knowing which way to go.

As a 3rd party IATF auditor, I would (and frequently do) accept having a binder/computer at the end of a line, as long as the line isn't so large that it would not be feasible for the operator to check the instruction if they have questions.

Top Bottom