IATF 16949 - Capability study on non critical dimensions?

MillerEPS

Registered
After all other documents and other requirements are submitted, customer informs us ... "per IATF requirement we need to perform 30 piece cap study. " There are no CC or SC on prints. Note 1 TS, gives customer right to request but we were not informed of this request until now. I requested design or APQP notes where this would have been discussed and agreed to. Customer SQ states he was not involved in design with us...we are not design responsible by the way. He then stated that in my xx years of experience I should know "if no sc or cc on GD&T, supplier must choose and complete a study". Not discussed or agreed to, nor was cost included in contract. Where is he finding this requirement?
This is not within this customer CSR. Anyone have experience with this?:argue:

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
It's buried in there somewhere, somewhat obscure and unrealistic. I would need to look at the standard again. I would push for sc or cc characteristics only. Otherwise it's overkill.

Ron Rompen

The 'expectation' is that, with your knowledge of your processes and capabilities, that you would select appropriate characteristics to monitor, to ensure that you are continuing to properly control them.

It is (probably) easier to agree to do one or two studies on features that you are your SQ agree on, with the (written) commitment that these will completely fulfill the requirement.

Golfman25

The 'expectation' is that, with your knowledge of your processes and capabilities, that you would select appropriate characteristics to monitor, to ensure that you are continuing to properly control them.

It is (probably) easier to agree to do one or two studies on features that you are your SQ agree on, with the (written) commitment that these will completely fulfill the requirement.

While I agree that is the "expectation" it is absolutely stupid. Why on earth would I expend resources to monitor something that isn't important to the product? I need to know what is important, and I'll monitor it.

Sebastian

Dear MillerEPS, did you select any special characteristics and perform capability study on them?

Top Bottom