IATF 16949 Certification and Letter of Conformance expiry (Help!!!)

Hello All,

I am working as an SQA (Supplier Quality Assurance) member in a Korean company (in Europe) where we produce/assemble electric car batteries for our customer.

We at the moment have the Letter of Conformance which will expire on the 5th of January (2022).

Long story short, the person in charge for this certification was "let go" around 3 month ago and I got the task to organize the certification for the company.

Our first Stage 1 (Readiness Review) Audit in November was unsuccessful, there were 3 potential major and 1 minor area of concerns.
The next planned Stage 1 audit is on the 4th of January.

The current situation looks like this :

The CB itself says that we should delay the audit for at least 1 month in order for us to get to Stage 2 but Korean management says No.
When I told them that we should really get an external help (counseling) who will help us prepare, they rejected it saying it's too expensive.

Lack of top management support is unbelievable, when I try to explain them how severe our situation is (due to LoC expiring soon) they say I worry too much.

So here comes my question ( sorry for the long story ) :

Is there any way, any kind of contract, letter, any shape of form, which might give us time after our LoC expires, until we prepare for IATF?

Let's say we get a new date for the certification around February 17 and then the official audit in March, this time gap between that and the LoC expiry that could cover our production / delivery?

From our Customer maybe?

Thank you in advance for all the comments.

I know it sounds crazy but this is actually on going at the moment.

Kind regards,

David

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
You could explain to the customer the situation.
He is the one that wants the certificate. You can show a letter from the CB as to timing

More of a problem is
Lack of top management support is unbelievable, when I try to explain them how severe our situation is (due to LoC expiring soon) they say I worry too much.
The cost of a number of audits will be greater than the help

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
What @Howard Atkins says @David F

Ultimately, regardless of how you are "tasked" the responsibility for effectiveness of the management systems lies with top management (clause 5.0 ). Between the verbiage in ISO 9001 and IATF 16949, there are 36 "top management...'shalls' ". It may be wise for your organization's top management to understand this.

Be of luck.

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
Your company didn't do anything since the first audit? Can't you get the 4 corrective actions in place before January 4th?
I cannot see that this is constructive, as he states
Long story short, the person in charge for this certification was "let go" around 3 month ago and I got the task to organize the certification for the company.
without management support he cannot do anything
as @ John C. Abnet said and the
ISO 9001 standard (an integral part of IATF said:
5.1.1 General
Top management shall demonstrate leadership and commitment with respect to the quality
management system by:
a) taking accountability for the effectiveness of the quality management system;
b) ensuring that the quality policy and quality objectives are established for the quality
management system and are compatible with the context and strategic direction of the
organization;
c) ensuring the integration of the quality management system requirements into the organization’s
business processes;
d) promoting the use of the process approach and risk-based thinking;
e) ensuring that the resources needed for the quality management system are available;
f) communicating the importance of effective quality management and of conforming to the
quality management system requirements;
g) ensuring that the quality management system achieves its intended results;
h) engaging, directing and supporting persons to contribute to the effectiveness of the quality
management system;
i) promoting improvement;
j) supporting other relevant management roles to demonstrate their leadership as it applies to their
areas of responsibility. .,

The evidence shows that they fail with this requirement

Last edited:

Sebastian

Trusted Information Resource
David mentioned who does he work for.
It seems, it was important factor for him and we have to consider it.

David, try to solve at least 1 potential nonconformity, when possible and repeat Stage 1 on planned timing.
Consider contacting auditor and asking honestly for help, e.g. during Stage 1 closing meeting (s)he could mention, that external support would be helpful, as you have not enough experience to move on and previous person in charge already resigned.
Risky, but it might work.

Thank you for all the comments, I really appreciate it.

After 20+ phone calls there were 1 one person (consultant) who agreed to come and review our current situation (due to holidays are very close).

After a few hours he came to a conclusion that our system is far from ready for a Stage 1 / Stage 2 audit.

I've called a meeting after that with all Korean top management members and explained them that it is impossible for us to succeed on the 5th of January.

I showed them the IATF Project Plan what the consultant gave us and (surprisingly) they agreed to it and we officially postponed the Stage 1.

Can I call it a christmas miracle ? I think so.

Overall I am now relieved that they finally understood that things work differently in Europe.

Once again thank you all for all the suggestions, I am really grateful.

Wish you all a best and merry christmas.

I will keep you updated if anyone cares. (and if I need more help :) )

David,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Implementation, establishment and certification of IATF 16949. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R IATF 16949 Certification for new site with transferred product--what is the impact with CSR and scorecards? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B IATF 16949 Cert Expire- New certification body IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
L IATF 16949 certification costs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
L "IATF-Compliant" IATF 16949:2016 certification? What does this mean? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News Presentations from the latest IATF Stakeholder Event - Expectation that IATF 16949 certification should equate with product quality. Misguided? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Q IATF 16949 certification without automotive products in "production" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
R Timeframe for IATF 16949 certification to accumulate evidence of conformance of systems? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Sidney Vianna Informational UTC ASQR Rev.11 has a mistake; certification of distributors to IATF 16949 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
M Eligibility for certification to IATF 16949 - Exclusions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Coury Ferguson Report the CB... Certification Audit (IATF 16949) not to ISO 17021 Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
S How can a R&D center pass IATF 16949 certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
A Adding Remote Site to Current IATF 16949 Certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J IATF 16949 - Company Sold - Remote Location Certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C Do I need IATF 16949 certification? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
R IATF 16949 certification rules IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
L Informational IATF 16949 certification requirement for Tier 2/Tier 3 Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
T Are online IATF 16949 training/certification worth the investment? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
P Delay in IATF 16949 Certification from Registrar Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
D IATF 16949 - Internal Auditor Training/Certification Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
S Has anyone completed IATF 16949 Certification - Share your Audit Experience? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Certification Scheme for ISO/TS 16949:2002 - Rules for achieving IATF Recognition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
automoto Requirements of certification bodies recognized by IATF for ISO/TS 16949:2002 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 12
V IATF 16949 GM CSR 10.2.4 Error-proofing requirement IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D IATF 16949 Clause 7.2.2 - On the job training IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L IATF 16949 8.3 Exclusions Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D IATF 16949 7.3.1 Awareness- Supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Q IATF 16949 8.4.2.4 Supplier Monitoring IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
xfngrs 3 year audit cycle IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
D IATF 16949 Process Map IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
Vader22 IATF 16949 extended manufacturing site help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D AS9100 VS IATF 16949 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Ashland78 Need IATF 16949 ISO Gap Analysis Excel File Internal Auditing 3
T Justification of "Design Excluded" in IATF 16949 Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
Sidney Vianna Job Opening in the USA - IATF 16949 Lead Auditor Position Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
Ron Rompen IATF 16949 8.5.1.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
P IATF 16949:2016 Letter of conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D IATF 16949 SI 10, External non-accredited lab IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
S IATF 16949 - Summary at a glance Clause wise - changes from ISO TS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
T IATF 16949 Recording inspection results IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S IATF 16949 Supplier selection criteria 8.4.1.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D IATF 16949 M&TE Laboratory scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
M IATF 16949 SI # 10: Integrated self-calibration of measurement equipment- Needs for explanation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Q ISO 9001/IATF 16949 Audit Finding Question - Document Retention IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
J IATF 16949 Calibration/Verification records question ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 6
D Bulk Materials (Greases) and IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
J IATF 16949 Internal Audit question - Auditor's responsibility Internal Auditing 6
S IATF 16949 Internal Audit Example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 20
B Remote IATF 16949 audit preparation General Auditing Discussions 10
M IATF 16949 - Audit of Remote Location/Support Site and IT IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4