IATF 16949 Cl. 4.3.2 - Customer Requirements vs. Customer Specific Requirements

Scanton

Quite Involved in Discussions
I work for a tier 3 manufacturer and we have a handful of automotive customers.
All of those customers have provided me with a supplier quality manual and other related documents, and none of these documents makes reference to any of the clauses in the IATF 16949 standard.
So my understanding is that I don’t actually have any “customer specific requirements” I only have “customer requirements”, is this correct?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
You are correct.
All of those customers have provided me with a supplier quality manual and other related documents, and none of these documents makes reference to any of the clauses in the IATF 16949 standard.
So my understanding is that I don’t actually have any “customer specific requirements” I only have “customer requirements”, is this correct?
You are correct.

Sebastian

Trusted Information Resource
I do not know content of theses documents, but from title it seems, that you might be wrong.
Supplier quality manual usually are old-fashion customer specific requirements.
Good example how it should works is VW.
Before 2018, there were VW Formel-Q manuals and it was supplier job to read it through and match Formel-Q paragraphs with ISO/TS 16949 and IATF 16949 standard clauses
Finally VW change its mind and prepared this.
So, someone from your organization needs to read these documents and create references to standard clauses.
Alternatively seat and wait, until your customers change their minds and do it for you, but I won't expect it soon.
I am quite sure auditor will do it sooner and raise NC.

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator

I beg to differ. Just because the supplier quality manual doesn't specify any clauses doesn't mean it doesn't include customer-specific requirements.

I would suggest any requirements that relate to the system (not any specific to product/ product family similar to as defined during development) to consider as CSRs. For example, layout inspection frequency, use of specific approaches for problem-solving, etc.

Last edited:

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I beg to differ. Just because the supplier quality manual doesn't specify any clauses doesn't mean it doesn't include customer-specific requirements.

I would suggest any requirements that relate to the system (not any specific to product/ product family similar to as defined during development) to consider as CSRs. For example, layout inspection frequency, use of specific approaches for problem-solving, etc.
In the IATF scheme, the term "Customer-Specific Requirements" applies to those requirements that relate specifically to the clauses of the standard. They're made available on the IATF website. Customer requirements that don't fit that description are not Customer-Specific Requirements as the term is used by IATF.

Sebastian

Trusted Information Resource
E.g. Formel-Q manuals were not CSR before 2018?
Only because Ford, GM like matrix was not prepared by VW?
I do not know auditor who would agree.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
What difference does it make if a requirement is labeled as a customer-specific requirement or a customer requirement? Don't they all have to be complied with?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Call me stupid. As far back as 20 years ago in automotive Customer Requirements == All Customer Specific Requirements.

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
In the IATF scheme, the term "Customer-Specific Requirements" applies to those requirements that relate specifically to the clauses of the standard. They're made available on the IATF website. Customer requirements that don't fit that description are not Customer-Specific Requirements as the term is used by IATF.

IATF16949 does define them separately on page 11. Jim is correct.

Top Bottom