IATF 16949 Cl. 8.3.5.2 e) - Manufacturing Process Flow Charts & Layout

A

Andrews

Dear all,

As per IATF 16949 , one of the manufacturing process design output is

- manufacturing process flow charts / layout , including linkage to product , process and tooling

Does this mean that process flow diagrams should have reference to product, process and tooling? Kindly share your thoughts with examples.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Dear all,

As per IATF 16949 , one of the manufacturing process design output is

- manufacturing process flow charts / layout , including linkage to product , process and tooling

Does this mean that process flow diagrams should have reference to product, process and tooling? Kindly share your thoughts with examples.

My opinion is the following:

The manufacturing Process Flow Diagrams would be your Process Flow.

The Layout would be the Dimensional requirements and results.

Process and tooling, would be your work instructions.

Our work instructions list all tooling used/needed, and the processes of manufacturing the product. We have a separate Process Flow Diagram.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Leader
Super Moderator
I see this is an old discussion (OP) that is still raising questions.
Once again there appears to be a tendency to "add" to an existing management system based on new commentary in the standard. I would caution against this. What is done for a management system/organization should benefit the organization...not simply be an additional effort to satisfy an auditor. For that reason, I support the advice given by @coury ferguson above.
A properly constructed control plan can indeed often meet the requirement of the standard, AND be a benefit to the organization. Consider this:
- A "flow chart" is generally incorporated into the first page(s) of a control plan. Regardless, the content of the control plan describes the sequential flow of the process.
- Most control plans are constructed for a specific product or, at minimum, a family of product.
- By default, the control plan defines the process.
- In regards to tooling, strong consideration should be given to including tooling (by name/number/identification) in the "control method" column of the control plan.

Be well.

Top Bottom