IATF 16949 Cl. 8.4.1.2 Supplier Selection Process - assessment example

A

ajonlt

Hi all,

I'm looking for an example of how you assess a supplier's risk? DO you have a form that complete and save for each new supplier?

TIA

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
I cannot provide a physical example, but some areas to consider when assessing a supplier's risk are the following:
  • Financial viability (Is the supplier on the verge of folding? Do they have a large percentage of their business tied up in a single customer?)
  • Delivery: Can the supplier handle a significant increase in volume? Are they at capacity?
  • Quality: Can/will the supplier meet your requirements? Do they have the necessary infrastructure (i.e., people, test equipment, etc.) to verify requirements, or must they outsource? If applicable, do they understand reliability concepts, test reliability, provide reliability data? Can they perform failure analysis and corrective action?

These are far from exhaustive, but should convey the concept.

A

ajonlt

Thank you.

Does this have to be something that is documented and saved?

Does is have to be on a risk scale? Or just called out in an instruction that these are the areas that will be assessed before using a new supplier?

Miner

Forum Moderator
Leader
Admin
You should be able to provide objective evidence sufficient to demonstrate that you do assess risk. The format of that objective evidence is within your control. The format with which I am familiar is similar to a survey format. Some questions are Yes/No, others have a scale of relative risk specific to the question. At the end of the assessment, a team comprised of sourcing, quality and engineering make a determination of the level for the supplier. Based on the level, the supplier may be preferred, approved, no new business, or existing business resourced.

qualityegghead

Lives from Inspector to Director of Quality
I have a question regarding suppliers in the 16949 environment. My company is AS9100 & ISO13485 registered. Our corporate side is starting to shout about IATF16949 requirements and that we must require all tiers of our supply chain to be IATF16949. Is this a requirement within that standard?

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I have a question regarding suppliers in the 16949 environment. My company is AS9100 & ISO13485 registered. Our corporate side is starting to shout about IATF16949 requirements and that we must require all tiers of our supply chain to be IATF16949. Is this a requirement within that standard?

That's the eventual "goal" but not a strict requirement. Of course, it's much easier to just say everyone needs to be IATF but unrealistic.

qualityegghead

Lives from Inspector to Director of Quality
Thank you very much for the quick reply. SO from reading the very informative threads on this subject (not having the IATF manual yet) am I to understand that we will be required to "develop" our supply base towards the "goal"?

T

tongxiaozhi

I think in real life. As long as the quality is not so bad, the purchase department just focuses on the price.

SamuelB

Starting to get Involved

Sort of, that's why we are getting it, our clients require us to have the certification

Top Bottom