IATF 16949 Clause 8.3.5.2 sub-clause (l) - Process maintainability requirements

M

mihir.bajekal

Hi Friends, we recently concluded our IATF 16949 audit. During the audit, we received an observation for not having Data for Reliability and Maintainability for Manufacturing process design output as per Clause 8.3.5.2 sub-clause (l). We were under the impression that it is the MTBF and MTTR data (Maintenance) data that we had to present for a critical machine and that is precisely what we did. Unfortunately, the auditor did not accept the same and said that MTBF and MTTR data is for the machine, whereas the standard requires data for PROCESS Maintainability.

Can anyone help out as to what data is required? Is it PM schedules, tool monitoring data or something like Process capability study data. We are a bit confused about what to show so as to close this observation.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
A lot will depend on your process and equipment used. I would look at things like tool wear and perishable type items. But I am no expert. I'm trying to punt the whole thing. Good luck.

Sebastian

Point l) requires data in form of records showing results achieved when newly designed process was deployed. For planned maintenance system there is point h).

Quality can stand for defect level, capability index, capacity.
Reliability can stand for product validation, especially durability.
Maintainability can stand for progress of wearing of perishable tools, first maintenance service after pre-launch.
Measureability can stand for MSA.

M

mihir.bajekal

Thanks Guys.

Dear Sebastian,

Can i plot the data for recording how long it took to bring my process back on target, if and when it went off target?

For example, if my Process capability targets are 1.67 and my monthly review shows that it has gone below the target of 1.67. Does it mean that I log in the register the date and time on which the value has gone below 1.67 and then log in how much time it took me to rectify the process?

Does that account for Process Maintainability? Of course process capability is only an example. It can also be based on Process rejections, which are maintained on a much more regular timeline, for my machining process?

Just some food for thought :):)

Sebastian

Requirement is related to pre-SOP timing and I think you are referring to activities held during post-SOP timing. Some activities can be common for these timings, but in case of this requirement we are talking about keeping evidence that we have tested our newly designed process before taking decision of SOP and test results are supporting our decision. Sometimes before SOP they do not support, but it should not be like that and this is completely different story.

M

mihir.bajekal

Thanks Sebastian. I think it is clear now that we need to look at things before SOP as you rightly said, since this part i.e. Clause 8.3.5.2 will come in the output Phase of Phase 3 Process Design of APQP right?

So we can definitely look at tool monitoring schedules and similar data for the newly designed process with regard to data for maintainability.

morteza

Point l) requires data in form of records showing results achieved when newly designed process was deployed. For planned maintenance system there is point h).

Quality can stand for defect level, capability index, capacity.
Reliability can stand for product validation, especially durability.
Maintainability can stand for progress of wearing of perishable tools, first maintenance service after pre-launch.
Measureability can stand for MSA.

Hi Sebastian
If I understand your explanation correctly, you believe that the mentioned reliability in clause 8.3.5.2 i) refers to product reliability.

I think that the reliability here may refer to process reliability: the mean time between process failure relative to the acceptance criteria.

What is your idea about my interpretation?

M

mihir.bajekal

Depending on Morteza's post, shouldnt Maintainability relate to Mean time to repair the process? MTTR for the process instead of the machine

Sebastian

Dear Morteza I say reliability is related to product, you say it can be process related. I can't say you are wrong while I am right, but let me point out point d) where capability of process is directly mentioned.

Dear mihir.bajekal I'm still insisting, that it is related to data representing directly effectiveness of maintenance activities before SOP, but this is my own unsanctioned interpretation. Even it is best one :mg::confused:;):lol: ,it is still unsanctioned.

M

mihir.bajekal

Dear Sebastian,

The capability that you are referring to is the statistical process control studies that are planned on the process once it is designed. I feel that in this clause i.e. 8.3.5.2, reliability does mean mean time between failures of the process, while maintainability is mean time taken to repair the process.

It is just the evidence that is needed to be shown that is slightly confusing. I think the definitions are quite clear. Any other ideas?

Top Bottom