IATF 16949 extended manufacturing site help

Vader22

Starting to get Involved
I need to determine what the requirements and expectations are for an IATF 16949 extended manufacturing site? We had to add a remote (1.5 miles away) Warehousing/rework facility as an Extended Manufacturing site to our main facility as a result of an IATF 16949 External Audit nonconformance during our (LOC) Audit.
This is my first experience in dealing with an extended manufacturing site and would appreciate the help and shared knowledge.

Are there any guidance documents, etc.? What opinions/guidance can you share as seasoned Quality Professionals? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

malasuerte

Quite Involved in Discussions
I need to determine what the requirements and expectations are for an IATF 16949 extended manufacturing site? We had to add a remote (1.5 miles away) Warehousing/rework facility as an Extended Manufacturing site to our main facility as a result of an IATF 16949 External Audit nonconformance during our (LOC) Audit.
This is my first experience in dealing with an extended manufacturing site and would appreciate the help and shared knowledge.

Are there any guidance documents, etc.? What opinions/guidance can you share as seasoned Quality Professionals? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Hi @Vader22. If this is a manufacturing location of your organization, then all the (relevant) requirements apply the same as any other site/location.

There may be specific (additional) customer requirements that will be applicable to this location. For example, you say this is a "rework" facility - so there may be customer requirements associated with rework that you will need to meet.

Vinny

Registered
Be careful - there is a specific definition for a remote site v a site extension and they have to be properly designated on your IATF certificate. What you describe is very similar to our own case which is an extended site. Our CB has short checklist of questions to help you determine which one it is so perhaps yours does as well.

morteza

Trusted Information Resource

Hi,
Remote location has been defined in IATF 16949 clause 3.1:
remote location
location that supports manufacturing sites and at which non-production processes occur.

Remote locations (with different address to the main site) usually provide support functions (non value added) like purchasing, design, warehouse etc. to the manufacturing sites.

Extended manufacturing site, is a site with different address to the main manufacturing site, at which value-added manufacturing processes (like rework) occur. Annex 4 of the IATF Rules (5th edition) provide helpful information on this topic.

Sebastian

Trusted Information Resource
CB checklist can be source of problem.
I've experienced that during transfer between CBs.
EMS acceptable for "old" CB and audited succesfuly during full cycle was not acceptable for "new" CB.
One of "new" CB applicability evaluation criteria was names of process performed in EMS location.
"Engineering" was one of names, which could disqualify MS from being EMS.
Eventually EMS changed to MS with separate certification.
More audit time, more money for CB.
Auditors were questioning audit time applied for standalone MS, where linkages showed it should be in fact EMS.

Top Bottom