SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

IATF 16949 Internal Audit question - Auditor's responsibility

John H

Starting to get Involved
I recently completed an internal process audit. A certified operator did not complete all required Control Plan quality checks and was not able to complete certain measurement checks/did not know how. I deemed that work order as suspect product and informed the quality manager as well as the manufacturing manager. The QM stated she would take care of the issue by quarantining the product. I decided to audit the control of suspect product. The QM never quarantined the product and it made it to the customer. At that point I stated she had to contact the customer and that the process of control of suspect product failed. Customer was never notified. During the same audit a temporary operator made product with no oversight - could not answer any questions related to the Control Plans - that also became suspect product. Same outcome - no reaction from the quality manager or operations manager and that customer was never notified as well. I was blamed for not quarantining product even though I was the auditor and I informed the correct parties - quality manager and manufacturing manager. Any thoughts?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Based on your description of the dysfunctional approach to systems at your organization (Customer Complaint & SCAR, false data), with special emphasis to the apparent total disregard to prevention of recurrence of negative events, it seems to be hopeless. You are doing your job well, as an internal auditor, uncovering issues of significance, of relevance, but the people with the authority and responsibility to ensure the system is being followed don't seem to care. I can only think the cultural organizational mismatch towards process discipline comes from the top.

Once again, I ask: How come your IATF CB auditor never finds these "atrocities"? Is s/he this incompetent?

John H

Starting to get Involved
You ask a very interesting question. From my perspective the CB auditors (new auditor this year) are surface auditors figuratively speaking. Handful of years ago two witness auditors were with the CB auditor and major non-conformances were written. Is it typical for CB auditors to only touch the surface? It just seems like everything is rushed - if it looks ok - move on to next area. If you are open to questions - can you give your opinion on variable x-bar and range Control Charts - the company I work for has it setup as fixed for both the specification (which is expected) and the UCL & LCL. I have never heard of the UCL and LCL being fixed but I am also not an expert. Is this a somewhat common practice - are there benefits to this? It seems that issues would significantly out weigh the benefits. I also have another questions on training for Control of Suspect Product - do you know of any articles I can read through for the best approach on how to train operators on this subject?

Randy

Super Moderator
I don't do 16949 but I do audit. CB's auditors very seldom have enough time to get really down to the grassroots because of the total amount of a MS (& organization) that has to be sampled during an audit, and that's a fact of life. You make a basic plan that covers the "required stuff" that has to be seen every audit, and then work out from there. On a 1 day (8 hour) annual audit, how much do you think can be looked at and how deep can one go? (One day annual audits do happen as do 1.5 and 2 day audits). Even during a recertification audit (which is 2/3rds the duration a completely new certification) how much and how deep can you go in 2 days, when a percentage of the time must be set aside for opening & closing meetings, planning and report writing? At times you do have to get down and dirty so to speak, there's no way around it, and when that happens your plan can go down the toilet really complicating that audit and most likely the next with trying to squeeze everything in, reducing the amount of time across the MS and therefore reducing sample size and so on. It's challenging and it's tough. No excuses, just fact that most outsiders don't know.

Interesting, 2 witness auditors? My last AB witness audit was not too long ago for 5 days during a RC14001 recertification (headquarters of a multi-site) and I only had one auditor, excellent person, non-intrusive, a couple OFI's for our internal procedural stuff, and nothing negative to report.

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Staff member
Good day @John H .
You have received good feedback thus far. If it helps, remember that the requirement of an internal auditor is to ...
"...provide information..." (ISO 9001 9.2).

I can only hope you do not have responsibilities related to quality performance/customer satisfaction beyond your duties as an internal auditor. If you do not, then you are doing your job and your conscience should be clear. If you DO have those additional responsibilities, then...well, it sounds like a heart to heart with sr. Leadership and/or a potential move to an organization that has Top Management taking responsibility for the QMS (as is required by the standard).

Hope this helps.
Be well.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
If you are open to questions - can you give your opinion on variable x-bar and range Control Charts - the company I work for has it setup as fixed for both the specification (which is expected) and the UCL & LCL. I have never heard of the UCL and LCL being fixed but I am also not an expert. Is this a somewhat common practice - are there benefits to this? It seems that issues would significantly out weigh the benefits.
If the control limits are fixed, they're not control limits, statistically speaking. Control limits are mostly useless unless they're calculated from the data, and the data has been collected in a canonical manner.

I also have another questions on training for Control of Suspect Product - do you know of any articles I can read through for the best approach on how to train operators on this subject?
It's a relatively simple matter:
  • Do containment--makes sure you locate all of the potentially suspect product, including whatever might have been shipped or might already have reached a customer;
  • Segregate and identify (mark) all suspect material;
  • Notify customers, if necessary;
  • Review the segregated material for disposition.
For the future, it's best not to mix questions on different topics. Starting a new thread for each topic, in the appropriate forum, will render the best results.

John H

Starting to get Involved
If the control limits are fixed, they're not control limits, statistically speaking. Control limits are mostly useless unless they're calculated from the data, and the data has been collected in a canonical manner.

It's a relatively simple matter:
  • Do containment--makes sure you locate all of the potentially suspect product, including whatever might have been shipped or might already have reached a customer;
  • Segregate and identify (mark) all suspect material;
  • Notify customers, if necessary;
  • Review the segregated material for disposition.
For the future, it's best not to mix questions on different topics. Starting a new thread for each topic, in the appropriate forum, will render the best results.
Well understood. Thank you for your reply.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S IATF 16949 Internal Audit Example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
R IATF 16949 - Outsourcing of internal audits Internal Auditing 11
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Does anyone have an excel IATF 16949 Internal Audit checklist I could use? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
V IATF 16949 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Program - "Process Changes" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
M IATF 16949 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency - Trainer's competency Internal Auditing 7
S IATF 16949: Is "Certified" Internal Auditor mandatory? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Ashland78 IATF 16949 Internal Audit Checklist Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
J IATF 16949 CAR - Internal Auditor Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
T Example wanted - Template for internal audit IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
H Do you have to perform an full internal prior to IATF 16949 audit? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
F IATF 16949:2016 transition audit - Internal Audit Closures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
H Internal laboratory scope requirements - IATF 16949 Cl. 7.1.5.3.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
B Going into IATF 16949 transition without Internal Audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
A IATF 16949 - 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit Programme - looking for example IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B IATF 16949 - 7.1.5.3.1 Internal calibration laboratory requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
B IATF 16949 Cl. 9.2.2.1 - Internal audit program - Types of evidence Internal Auditing 1
D IATF 16949 - Internal Auditor Training/Certification Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
C IATF 16949 Cl. - 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
D Please share your IATF 16949 Internal Audit Plan and Schedule Internal Auditing 13
C IATF 16949:2016 Cl. 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 39
Q IATF 16949 Cl. 7.2.3 - Internal Auditor Competency and Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q How can an Internal Auditor Trainer's Competency be Evaluated - IATF 16949 Cl. 7.2.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
P Problem with IATF 16949 Clause 7.2.3 Requirements (Internal Auditor Competency) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
P IATF 16949 - Internal Audit Frequency Requirements Internal Auditing 2
B Competency of Trainer for Internal Auditor Training (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
tony s TS 16949 Internal Audit Trainer Traceability to IATF General Auditing Discussions 6
D IATF 16949 M&TE Laboratory scope IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
M IATF 16949 SI # 10: Integrated self-calibration of measurement equipment- Needs for explanation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Q ISO 9001/IATF 16949 Audit Finding Question - Document Retention IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
J IATF 16949 Calibration/Verification records question ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 5
D Bulk Materials (Greases) and IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
B Remote IATF 16949 audit preparation General Auditing Discussions 10
R IATF 16949 Certification for new site with transferred product--what is the impact with CSR and scorecards? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B IATF 16949 Cert Expire- New certification body IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
M IATF 16949 - Audit of Remote Location/Support Site and IT IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
O Informational Ford Motor Company Customer Specific Requirements for IATF 16949:2016 - 08 Jan 2021 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
B Updated IATF 16949 - Will IATF 16949 get revised when ISO 9001:202X is released? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
O Release of Sanctioned Interpretations (SIs) related to Rules 5th Edition and Sanctioned Interpretations related to IATF 16949:2016 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
S Thoughts on managing ISO 9001, 13485, IATF 16949 and 17025 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
P IATF 16949 requirement - error-proofing in control plan IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
eule del ayre Documented Information - Periodic Review of Documents? IATF 16949:2016 / ISO 9001:2015 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 34
Crimpshrine13 Laboratory Scope - Calibration vs. Test Methods - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
earl62 What is the best way to control special characteristics in Control plan? Is it Mandatory to have SPC for IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
L IATF 16949 certification costs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B FCA US Customer Specific IATF 16949- Critical Characteristics 8.6.2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
B IATF 16949 News Six month extension on all valid IATF 16949 certs IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
earl62 IATF 16949 Clause 9.1.1.1 - What is the batch conformance to specification method? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
B FCA US IATF 16949 Customer Requirements updates Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6