IATF 16949 - Is a Deviation required for sample components in a prototype build?

berry_nice

Quality Manager
Hi everyone!
We have not started full production as yet. For the pre-build they are using sample nuts that do not meet the print. I have two questions:
1) Is a deviation required?​
2) Is this a requirement per IATF?​
I am trying to settle a disagreement with someone who has been in the industry for a long time and me, a brand spanking new IATF auditor. Thanks in advance!

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
What is "pre-build"? Are the parts in question provided to the customer? Do you have a process for controlling prototypes?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I am NOT an IATF 16949 auditor/practitioner nor do I know the CSR requirements for prototyping products, but COMMON SENSE would indicate that customer should be, at least, informed of the discrepancy. How critical the nut is? We have no idea. It might be a trivial deviation or it might be critical. Normally, the engineers involved with the product design and validation would be the ones who could make the proper call. Just imagine, for a second, if we were talking about the nut that holds the steering wheel to the steering column.....

Without knowing the context, application, stresses, etc. we can only speculate. Risk based thinking would suggest the people involved with the design validation via prototype testing should be aware of the fact, in case they experience some failures which could be attributed to the "out of spec" nuts.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
What is "pre-build"? Are the parts in question provided to the customer? Do you have a process for controlling prototypes?
Good question. I looked for a definite definition and couldn't find one. I did find a few things like the Polaris Supplier Quality Manual which mention it, but no definition.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
I think it is safe to assume pre-build is the stage before volume production. A short lot used to assemble prototypes/mules to be tested before the whole vehicle design is released for mass production.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
I think it is safe to assume pre-build is the stage before volume production.
I think you're probably right, but the term "prototype" is usually used in automotive work, so I wanted to be sure. Sometimes prototypes become salable product, and at other times the customer will never see them.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Probably, Sidney. That is a logical assumption. I just don't like to assume anything. It's not in the 'standard' automotive APQP process that I am aware of.

Top Bottom