IATF 16949 - Manufacturing and Product Audit Approach

AMIT BALLAL

Super Moderator
So I look at it this way:

Product audit is the old dock audit. We take a part sitting on our dock ready for shipment and check it for compliance to customer requirements. We have a simple checklist form we use.

Thanks for your reply Golfman. But I am not completely agree with the approach of doing dock audit only to comply with the requirement of Product audit. Product audit asks to audit product at appropriate stage of production as well.

Last edited:
S

sganesan90

So I look at it this way:

Product audit is the old dock audit. We take a part sitting on our dock ready for shipment and check it for compliance to customer requirements. We have a simple checklist form we use.

Manufacturing process audit we hit two ways: First is basically a part audit to the control plan. We follow all the way thru from purchasing to final inspection. Again we have a checklist we use.

Then we also do a global system audit of our manufacturing processes/procedures. This is less part specific and more of an overall view.
Dear Sir,

regarding the process audit which you say from purchase to final, I have following query.

--> Will you audit in each stage and note down the observations?
-->Will you check at last stage before despatch or just write down the values from each process?
If you follow second method, how will you confirm parts are already met the requirements of each stages?

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Dear Sir,

regarding the process audit which you say from purchase to final, I have following query.

--> Will you audit in each stage and note down the observations?
-->Will you check at last stage before despatch or just write down the values from each process?
If you follow second method, how will you confirm parts are already met the requirements of each stages?

Not quite sure what the questions are but,

Yes, we audit each stage. We actually work backwards. Take a part that is ready to ship and walk back thru the process documentation. So:

shipping requirements done, check
Final inspection requirements, check
In-process requirements, check
Purchasing requirements, check
Etc.

As for the product audit and "appropriate stages of production" (whatever that means), we look back at our inspection records and verify them.

S

sganesan90

Dear Sir,

Thanks for the confirmation.

Regarding the backtrack of records,what will you do if there is a deviation in not meeting the requirements at earlier stages.

Pls explain the statement of appropriate stages? Still I'm not clear about it.

S

sganesan90

In my understanding:

Process Audit: Must cover all manufacturing process.

Product Audit: To confirm parts during final stage during packing.

If we want to check all parameters in product audit in each stage then pls explain purpose of layout which covers all dimensional parameters.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Regarding the backtrack of records,what will you do if there is a deviation in not meeting the requirements at earlier stages.

Each "stage" should be defined (identified) in the quality plan for the item.

Golfman25

Dear Sir,

Thanks for the confirmation.

Then we go to a non-conformance and handle it appropriately.

S

sganesan90

ave following query.
Not quite sure what the questions are but,

Yes, we audit each stage. We actually work backwards. Take a part that is ready to ship and walk back thru the process documentation. So:

shipping requirements done, check
Final inspection requirements, check
In-process requirements, check
Purchasing requirements, check
Etc.

As for the product audit and "appropriate stages of production" (whatever that means), we look back at our inspection records and verify them.

Still I have further more query.

Standards says if any customer specific approaches can be followed or orgn can adopt based on their products.

In this case, we have decided the RM verification, random parts picked from dock to meet critical characteristics check, packing confirmation.

Is it not enough?

As per you check from shipping --> Purchasing do you check all product dimensions at each station? is it really feasible to do so?

AndyN

Moved On
Good points Mikey324, however, risk come also in the future, not just from looking over your shoulder at what happened. It's a bit like riding a motorcycle, the risks present themselves in front of you as well as behind: RIsk from planned (and unplanned) events such as changes, new products, people etc. Don't wait until there's been a problem to decide to audit after the event.

Golfman25

Still I have further more query.

Standards says if any customer specific approaches can be followed or orgn can adopt based on their products.

In this case, we have decided the RM verification, random parts picked from dock to meet critical characteristics check, packing confirmation.

Is it not enough?

As per you check from shipping --> Purchasing do you check all product dimensions at each station? is it really feasible to do so?
We have three basic dimensional checks -- setup, in process, and final. We just verify that they where done and properly recorded.

Top Bottom