IATF 16949 - RSL - Distribution Center Clasification

We are a Distribution Center based in Michigan for automotive products that are manufactured at our production facilities around the world. My question is related to whether we should be designated as an RSL (Remote Support Location) on our manufacturing plant certificates. Before you quickly respond, please see the extenuating circumstance below.

We do not function as a typical Distribution Center in respect to shipping products on behalf of any of the manufacturing plants. We are a stand alone business unit and operate under a customer-supplier relationship with our manufacturing plants. We purchase all of our products directly from the manufacturing plants and distribute to our own customers. Our customer submit their POs, we process the orders, ship and invoice directly from our own location. We have our own DUNS code, Supplier Codes, and receive our own scorecards from our customer base. We manage our own inventory which drives POs that we place with our suppliers (manufacturing plants) which are not directly associated to our customer's orders. We received boxes of material from our supplies, store them on racks, and then ship them to our customers in the same containers. We do not perform any value added processes to the product.

So my question is...

Should we be considered an RSL to our manufacturing plants?

I do not think that we are and thus should not be audited as part of their certificates. Our DC should obtain its own ISO9001 certificate to cover our operations since IATF is focused on manufacturing operations.

I look forward to any insight or experiences that any of you may have. Thank you.

Sebastian

Really trusted?
Trusted
Not enough details to evaluate it properly, bu I would try.

Manufacturing site is asked "Who is your customer?"
Answer would be You .
Next question, Who is responsible for product design?
Answer would not be "You" and maybe "We are not"
So who is responsible?

As I know companies like you are not welcome in supply chain as standalone entities.
You should be treated as RSL performing RSF for at least one of manufacturing sites you get products from.

Manufacturing sites shall inform own certification bodies who is(are) their customer(s).
And it should not be you as commercial relations are not decisive in case of IATF 16949.
They should point out manufacturing site where value added activities over their parts are carried out.
It is not you.

AndyN

A problem shared...
Trusted
We are a Distribution Center based in Michigan for automotive products that are manufactured at our production facilities around the world. My question is related to whether we should be designated as an RSL (Remote Support Location) on our manufacturing plant certificates. Before you quickly respond, please see the extenuating circumstance below.

We do not function as a typical Distribution Center in respect to shipping products on behalf of any of the manufacturing plants. We are a stand alone business unit and operate under a customer-supplier relationship with our manufacturing plants. We purchase all of our products directly from the manufacturing plants and distribute to our own customers. Our customer submit their POs, we process the orders, ship and invoice directly from our own location. We have our own DUNS code, Supplier Codes, and receive our own scorecards from our customer base. We manage our own inventory which drives POs that we place with our suppliers (manufacturing plants) which are not directly associated to our customer's orders. We received boxes of material from our supplies, store them on racks, and then ship them to our customers in the same containers. We do not perform any value added processes to the product.

So my question is...

Should we be considered an RSL to our manufacturing plants?

I do not think that we are and thus should not be audited as part of their certificates. Our DC should obtain its own ISO9001 certificate to cover our operations since IATF is focused on manufacturing operations.

I look forward to any insight or experiences that any of you may have. Thank you.
Seems to me that you have a good grasp on the situation and have your answer. If you are a "stand alone" business then you can't really be an RSL.

Top Bottom