Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo Especially for content not in the forum
Such as files in the Cove "Members" Directory
Social Distancing - It's not just YOUR life - It's ALL of OUR lives!
Me <——————— 6 Feet ———————-> You

IATF 16949 - Scope or not?

This might be a dumb question, but it was brought up in one of our staff meetings. Do we consider all "automotive" customers as in the scope of the IATF or only those listed with CSRs on the IATF site? For example International/Navistar is a customer; are they included in the "scope?"

I know my immediate answer is yes, we should treat all as scope but I have a feeling the BOD is leaning toward limiting scope to only those OEMs listed on the IATF site. During our last audit, the auditor only focused on those CSR downloaded from the IATF site.

Thoughts?

CSRs of all your automotive customers need to be considered under scope of your IATF16949 based QMS.
As per the guidelines by IATF, auditors need to give more attention to IATF OEMS, their scorecards and CSRs. But it doesn't mean they won't look at CSRs of other automotive customers. Auditor might have sampled CSRs, but next time samples can be different (CSRs of other automotive customers).

John C. Abnet

Teacher,Sensei,Kennari
Good day @csullivan ;
If I understand your question correctly, I would council to take care not to commingle the concept of CSR (customer specific requirements) with which automotive customers are in the "scope" (I assume you are referring to the actual or implied scope of customers to which your organization includes in your compliance to IATF 16949).

Answer:
If you are an IATF 16949 certified organization, then your products and processes for ALL of your automotive customers that are within the scope of
IATF 16949 (IATF 16949 clause 1.1) must be managed by your organization compliant to the IATF 16949 requirements and those activities will be
included in 3rd party audits. This is regardless of whether that particular OEM customer is "listed" by IATF or not. This is regardless of whether or
not that particular OEM has stated CSR,s.

Hope this helps.

Be well.

Top Bottom