IATF 16949 Strategy - Audit Team Requirement

QualitySpirit

Involved In Discussions
Hi friends,
I again have a problem with interpretation of the requirement.

the certification body may appoint more than one auditor from the previous audit
cycle (which can be 1 year, 2 years or 3 years in length) to participate in the transition
audit and subsequent surveillance audits as an audit team member, including as the
audit team leader (clarification to FAQ no. 11). In this situation the certification body
is not required to request a waiver from the relevant IATF Oversight Office.

If I attended a surveillance audit at a site last year, and I attend the audit this year which is a re-certification audit as a "carry over" team member with another new lead auditor.

1) Can I attend the transition audit to IATF16949:2016 next year as a carryover auditor again?

2) Can I attend the next surveillance audit after the transition audit?

In my understanding, I am no longer considered as a previous cycle auditor as after the re-certification audit this year a new cycle has begun and only the lead auditor of the re-certification audit can be considered "previous audit cycle auditor".
So I could neither attend the transition audit and the next surveillance audit after the transition audit. Is this correct?

jelly1921

Quite Involved in Discussions
IATF announced "IATF Transition Strategy Rev2"

In FAQ 11, it says:

The Transition Strategy requirements permit that more than one
auditor can participate in the transition audit. Can these auditors
continue to participate in the subsequent surveillance audits as
well?

Yes, the certification body may appoint more than one auditor from the previous audit cycle (which can be 1 year, 2 years or 3 years in length) to participate in the transition audit and subsequent surveillanc e audits as an audit team member, including as the audit team leader. In this situation the certification body is not required to request a waiver from the relevant IATF Oversight Office.

QualitySpirit

Involved In Discussions
Hi thank you for your reply.
Is you interpretation that I can attend in the next full cycle?
Then I can audit this site for 8 years consecutively.

2013: Re-certification (new cycle Team Leader)
2014: First surveillance (Team Leader)
2015: Second surveillance (Team Leader)
2016: Re-certification (carry over Team Member)
2017: Transition audit (Team Leader)
2018: First surveillance (Team Leader)
2019: Second surveillance (Team Leader)
2020: Re-certification (carry over Team Member again)

QualitySpirit

Involved In Discussions
I don't know, but it sounds to me like your three year cycle re-starts with the audit/certification of the 2015 standard.

Thank you. Do you mean I can conduct the audit at this site for next 4 years from next year?

The question is whether I can attend the transition audit in year 2017 as I am in year 2016 as a carry over auditor of the previous cycle already.

Will they consider my cycle has ended since year 2016 and I am no longer a previous cycle auditor of the transition audit. Or it is fine with this?

Last edited:

Rasec

Registered
Hi - I would like to piggyback on this thread. My company is recently been certified to ISO9001:2015 (September 2022). Is there any rules set for a minimum number of years that the company be ISO9001 certified before transitioning to IATF16949. My understanding is that the company has to complete at least 2 cycles of ISO9001 surveillance audit before it can transition to IAT16949. Is that correct? Can you please share any refutable references for this inquiry? Thanks in advance.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
Hi - I would like to piggyback on this thread. My company is recently been certified to ISO9001:2015 (September 2022). Is there any rules set for a minimum number of years that the company be ISO9001 certified before transitioning to IATF16949. My understanding is that the company has to complete at least 2 cycles of ISO9001 surveillance audit before it can transition to IAT16949. Is that correct? Can you please share any refutable references for this inquiry? Thanks in advance.
I don’t believe that is correct. You can have an IATF cert. without having an ISO Cert.

Johnny Quality

Quite Involved in Discussions

I agree with Golfman25; your CB will advise a likely time frame and prerequisites for certification.

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
I'm pretty sure that a company must have ISO 9001:2015 to have IATF 16949. That's the way it was when I took the Lead Auditor training back in 2017.

If you read the Forward of the IATF standard on page 7, paragraph 1, sentence 2 it reads: As such, this Automotive QMS standard cannot be considered a stand-alone QMS standard but has to be comprehended as a supplement to and be used in conjunction with ISO 9001:2015.

Also, some clauses in IATF say: See ISO 9001:2015 requirements.

I suppose someone could possibly make a case they are meeting the ISO requirements while not being certified. Please let me know if your company has done this.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
I'm pretty sure that a company must have ISO 9001:2015 to have IATF 16949. That's the way it was when I took the Lead Auditor training back in 2017.

If you read the Forward of the IATF standard on page 7, paragraph 1, sentence 2 it reads: As such, this Automotive QMS standard cannot be considered a stand-alone QMS standard but has to be comprehended as a supplement to and be used in conjunction with ISO 9001:2015.

Also, some clauses in IATF say: See ISO 9001:2015 requirements.

I suppose someone could possibly make a case they are meeting the ISO requirements while not being certified. Please let me know if your company has done this.
We did under the previous versions. CBs wanted more money to to both ISO and TS. We opted just to do TS. Still need to have the ISO stuff in there there and they audit against it, But it’s only applicable to automotive parts. They ignored any part that wasn’t automotive

Top Bottom