IATF and ISO9001

Littlemiss

Involved In Discussions
Our company has a certification for IATF currently. I don't see any mention of ISO9001, are they actually separate? Unfortunately, I am new to IATF and so I thought they went together.

Ashland78

Quite Involved in Discussions
There are many sections within IATF that reference ISO 9001:2015... All of ISO 9001 is mentioned through out IATF standard. Hope this helps.

malasuerte

Our company has a certification for IATF currently. I don't see any mention of ISO9001, are they actually separate? Unfortunately, I am new to IATF and so I thought they went together.

You can't have IATF certification without ISO certification as well. Your registrar should have provided you with the ISO certification as well.

Littlemiss

Involved In Discussions
You can't have IATF certification without ISO certification as well. Your registrar should have provided you with the ISO certification as well.
That's what I am wondering, I have not met her but will in November. I have my internal audits covering both standards to ensure we have looked at all that is needed. I will feel more confident once I have went thru at least one audit with our auditor. Thank you!

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
They are separate but similar.
They are not separate. IATF 16949:2016 is an augmentation of ISO 9001:2015 and not a stand alone standard. The former invokes all of the latter.
IATF and ISO9001

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
This is incorrect, there is no obligation and depends on CB, there is a requirement for extra time to be added certainly if there is a difference in scope for example you want the ISO certificate to add railway brakes as these cannot be covered by the IATF standard.

Ashland78

That's what I am wondering, I have not met her but will in November. I have my internal audits covering both standards to ensure we have looked at all that is needed. I will feel more confident once I have went thru at least one audit with our auditor. Thank you!

If you have IATF Certification that includes ISO 9001, they are not separate certs - not anywhere I have worked even when it was TS before IATF.

malasuerte

If you have IATF Certification that includes ISO 9001, they are not separate certs - not anywhere I have worked even when it was TS before IATF.

They are separate "certifications.

Firstly, The accreditation bodies for ISO 9001 include ANAB, registrar and Certification Bodies, while the accreditation bodies for IATF 16949 include IATF, IAOB, registrars.

Second, the registration is logged completely separate. IATF in the IATF db and ISO elsewhere.

Next, companies can and do get separate certificates - one showing 9001, one IATF.

What is not separate is the certification audit - In order to become certified to IATF, an org needs to be audited and comply with all the requirements of ISO. In doing so, that org is also deemed ISO certified.

Last edited:
Top Bottom