IATF CB Auditor questions Internal Auditor Competence

Hello,
I recently started as a Quality Manager for a company that is IATF 16949 certified. We had our surveillance audit these past 2 days.
The third party registration auditor told me that I wasn't competent because I haven't had any IATF 16949 classes.
I currently hold a AS9100:2009 lead auditor certificate and have completed AIAG Core Tools.
The clause he pointed out is 7.2.3
a) understanding of the automotive process approach for auditing, including risk-based thinking;
b) understanding of applicable customer-specific requirements and
d) understanding of applicable core tool requirements related to the scope of the audit
AS9100 included the process approach. So I think that's incorrect, sure it wasn't the Automotive but doesn't the core tool catch that?
Customer specific requirements: I review contracts all the time and IATF is damn prescriptive
Core tools: As stated above I took a Core tools class through AIAG

What are your opinions on this?
Tthanks,
Julie

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John C. Abnet

Teacher, sensei, kennari
Staff member
I wasn't competent because I haven't had any IATF 16949 classes.
Good day @J. Keene

There is no requirement for any such "IATF classes". While it IS helpful and I DO recommend it, there simply is NO requirement for auditor training or "certification".

Ask him/her to show you the clause you are violating (i.e. RULE - ACTUAL = GAP)

They will not be able to. You are competent if you are conducting valuable and actionable internal audits as required by the limited amount of requirements stated within the relative 9.2 and 7.2 clauses of the standard.

If you are able to show competency, then contest the nonconformance.

Hope this helps.
Be well.

Your CB auditor is the one lacking in competency. If they wrote an NC please return it to the CSR you deal with (or account manager). Please write to the Operations management of your CB and explain that they must take action to correct this auditor's non-conformity and that, were it not for the IATF rules, the auditor would NOT be returning in future.

Johnnymo62

Haste Makes Waste
Ask for the definition of automotive process approach.

Also, are you in the position of lead auditor? If not, then you are not required to prove competence to the automotive process approach.

malasuerte

Involved In Discussions
Well - Johnny has a good question which I don't think is discerned in the OP....are you the lead auditor, or even an auditor? Or are you the manager of the auditors. While you could say that the mgr should know about the job, I would not stretch it to say you need to meet the clause.

However, if you are the lead auditor/auditor for your business then, as opposed to the others, I think it is a valid NC. It sounds like you are partly there.
  • But you do need to have a way to achieve the competency and be able to show it - could be web based training, you reading a book, OJT, etc. But yes, by saying IATF "classes" as the end all is wrong.
It sounds like you may be missing:
C) The requirements in the standard state that the auditor competence includes understanding the IATF requirements. You don't state in the OP if you know and understand the requirements of IATF? If you do understand, then check this one off.

B) Also - Case in point: you don't know what Customer Specific Requirements are; by your own writing in the OP. CSRs are not customer requirements. Unless I misunderstood your sentence about contracts? But as written it sounds like you don't know what CSRs are.

In conclusion, I would say it depends on how you answer and fill in the blanks.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
We all know, or should know, that training does not equal competence. I've seen countless numbers of incompetent people who were trained. This being the case, the lack of training credentials in this case doesn't indicate that the OP (or anyone else) lacks competency in auditing. The burden of proof regarding competency or lack thereof falls on the CB auditor, not the auditee.

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
CB auditors should not be requesting, or suggesting, that you receive "IATF training" classes. There is no requirement for this. The standard does say auditors shall be able to demonstrate competency, understanding ISO/IATF requirements related to the audit scope.

Nowhere does it say by taking IATF classes. Classroom training certificates just prove you were there. Not that you are competent. Training certificates and OJT are just one way to show competency.

I would say one the job experience, proven performance, and value added audits are even better proof you know what you are doing. Your organization has to have this documented process, taking into account the Organization and Customers requirements.

Randy

Super Moderator
a) understanding of the automotive process approach for auditing, including risk-based thinking;
b) understanding of applicable customer-specific requirements and
d) understanding of applicable core tool requirements related to the scope of the audit
Understanding does not mean Subject Matter Expert. I've a basic understanding of what synthesizing human DNA is and entails (I've audited it for years) but I'm nowhere near an expert and that goes for 100 other things that I've acquired understanding of.

When I look at auditor competence it goes way beyond them taking some dog & pony show, slide popping training course (I delivered over 200 of those so maybe I'm a SME of sorts) competency goes into the full audit process, planning, delivery, reporting, follow up, everything. If I see great output (without gobblety goop training, unless it's absolutely required), I say great job and it goes on paper as such. Honestly, I couldn't care less about certifications as well. I've an MBA (Finance).........I'm competent "Whopee", but you'd better not let me be your comptroller.

I'm not a TS guy so I could be out of line, however I am a CB auditor with about 100 audit days already this year, so understand without any TS to fall back on my auditor instinct say "BS" Bull.jpg

Mikey324

Quite Involved in Discussions
@Randy I've an MBA (Finance).........I'm competent "Whopee", but you'd better not let me be your comptroller.

I know what you mean. "On paper" and "in practice" are very different. I think if auditors (CB and internal) looked past the paper and into the practice, it would be a different world all around.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Sidney Vianna Job Opening in the USA - IATF 16949 Lead Auditor Position Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
J IATF 16949 Internal Audit question - Auditor's responsibility Internal Auditing 6
M Tips on preparing for IATF 16949 Internal Lead Auditor exam Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
W Certification for IATF Lead Auditor will expire in 2020 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M IATF 16949 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency - Trainer's competency Internal Auditing 7
J Manufacturing Process Auditor Requirements - IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
S IATF 16949: Is "Certified" Internal Auditor mandatory? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
Rameshwar25 Min working experience for IATF 16949 third party auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Rameshwar25 IATF ADP - How to proceed for new auditor qualification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
J IATF 16949 CAR - Internal Auditor Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
Anerol C Becoming an IATF 16949 Third Party Auditor Career and Occupation Discussions 12
O IATF 16949 3rd party auditor training sources IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
A Looking to become an IATF 16949:2016 Certified Auditor IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
D IATF 16949 - Internal Auditor Training/Certification Requirements Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
K IATF 16949 Line and Dock Auditor Competency Requirements Internal Auditing 4
T Online IATF 16949 Lead Auditor Course IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C IATF 16949 Cl. - 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
C IATF 16949:2016 Cl. 7.2.3 Internal Auditor Competency Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 39
T Recommendations for ONLINE IATF 16949 Lead Auditor Training IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Q IATF 16949 Cl. 7.2.3 - Internal Auditor Competency and Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Q How can an Internal Auditor Trainer's Competency be Evaluated - IATF 16949 Cl. 7.2.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
H ISO/IATF Internal Auditor Recommendations For Manufacturer In California, USA Internal Auditing 3
P Problem with IATF 16949 Clause 7.2.3 Requirements (Internal Auditor Competency) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T IATF Certified Auditor/Consultant Wanted in the Evansville, Indiana Area Consultants and Consulting 0
B Competency of Trainer for Internal Auditor Training (IATF 16949) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
Manix Should a 3rd Party Auditor Audit against IATF rules and not just the ISO standard? General Auditing Discussions 4
A Can an IATF Auditor Audit a Site by Phone? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
J IATF 2012 TS 16949 Auditor Areas of Focus IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V IATF Auditor Guide for TS 16949 for sale at the AIAG store IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
P New IATF Communiqu? # 2010-010 - "Auditor Development Process (ADP) ? Process Update" ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
Howard Atkins IATF closes auditor recertification portal ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
Howard Atkins New IATF Auditor Development Process ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
Celtic Warrior New IATF rules for auditor change IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
P New IATF "Rules" and Auditor Recertification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
J IATF 3th auditor training course stop? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
H IATF approved vs. ISO 9001 / TS 16949 Auditor Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
Y Auditor Findings - IATF checklist - Supplier PPAP - Internal Auditor Training ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 23
J Internal Auditor Course not an IATF Requirement ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 1
Ron Rompen IATF 16949 8.5.1.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
I Work Instruction Update- IATF Impact IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
P IATF 16949:2016 Letter of conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D IATF PROCESSES IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D IATF 16949 SI 10, External non-accredited lab IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
A Control plan for IATF - example? FMEA and Control Plans 1
A IATF MSA study Type 1 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
S IATF 16949 - Summary at a glance Clause wise - changes from ISO TS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Azaarus Help with CAPA for an IATF finding regarding inspection documentation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
W Do Reference materials for IATF need to be 17025? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
D Special IATF audit of sub-supplier IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
R IATF and ASPICE level 2 Design and Development of Products and Processes 9