IATF Guidance to ISO/TS 16949:2002 - Not auditable?

In the process of answering findings on my most recent surveillance audit, I am re-reading ISO/TS 16949:2002(E).
"IATF Guidance to ISO/TS16949:2002" is a document containing recommended automotive industry practices, examples, illustrations and explanations, and provides assistance in the application to conform to the requirements of this Technical Specification.
This IATF Guidance document is not intended for certification or for contractual purposes
(Emphasis in the original)
Does this mean that I can't get certified to the guidance?
OR
Does this mean that some auditor cannot write me a finding because I have covered the TS section but not every tidbit in the Guidance?

I can't put my finger on it right now but I am certain that I got a Preventive and predictive maintenance finding because I wasn't doing fluid analysis (guidance) even though there is no mention of it in the standard. I ended up writing a white paper on why I don't do fluid analysis (I don't have any hydraulic pumps, etc.) to answer the finding.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
Icy Mountain:

1) Correct
2) Correct

Guidance documents are not auditable. It is a guidance.

A N/C should be written against a clause in TS 16949:2002.

On what grounds did the auditor write the N/C ?

Howard Atkins

Forum Administrator
Leader
Admin
In the process of answering findings on my most recent surveillance audit, I am re-reading ISO/TS 16949:2002(E).
Originally Posted by ISO/TS 16949:2002, Section 0.3.1 IATF Guidance to ISO/TS16949:2002

"IATF Guidance to ISO/TS16949:2002" is a document containing recommended automotive industry practices, examples, illustrations and explanations, and provides assistance in the application to conform to the requirements of this Technical Specification.
This IATF Guidance document is not intended for certification or for contractual purposes(Emphasis in the original)
Does this mean that I can't get certified to the guidance?
OR
Does this mean that some auditor cannot write me a finding because I have covered the TS section but not every tidbit in the Guidance?

I can't put my finger on it right now but I am certain that I got a Preventive and predictive maintenance finding because I wasn't doing fluid analysis (guidance) even though there is no mention of it in the standard. I ended up writing a white paper on why I don't do fluid analysis (I don't have any hydraulic pumps, etc.) to answer the finding.

The guidelines are NOT auditable as said
This IATF Guidance document is not intended for certification or for contractual purposes

Your specific point
Guidelines
Predictive maintenance methods should include a review of
appropriate items such as the manufacturer's recommendations,
storage, tool wear, optimization of uptime, correlation of SPC
data to.preventive maintenance activities, important
characteristics of perishable tooling, fluid analysis, monitoring of
circuits and vibration analysis as appropriate. (my emphasis)
Here we have a should, not shall and twice as appropriate. Even if this was verbatim in the standard there is no requirement to perform the actions

On what grounds did the auditor write the N/C ?
That's what I can't put my finger on, certainly nothing recent, I'm much better at defending our system now. However, I have had many, many audits where the guidance comes out for more than just guidance; it's often used like a sanctioned interpretation. There is a reason that I have both the standard and guidance in the same binder with my single printed procedures manual. It was just one of those "eureka" moments.

V

vanputten

It is my memory that the IATF Guidance document to TS 16949 was obsoleted even as a guidance document let alone a basis for registration.

Regards,

Dirk

From memory, the guidance wasn't much use.

I do remember that there was nothing on document control - although history shows that this requirement is 80% of the reasons for external audit findings - so it'd be reasonable to expect some guidance, wouldn't it?:bonk:

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
although history shows that this requirement is 80% of the reasons for external audit findings - so it'd be reasonable to expect some guidance, wouldn't it?:bonk:
83.7% of statistics (including this one) are fabricated willy-nilly...If document control is still a source of a high percentage of findings in TS audits, it has much less to do with the requirements of the standard, and much more with auditor behavior that tends to focus on "tangible", auditable, "black&white" issues. Documentation control, quality records and other few issues still account for a large percentage of findings simply because auditors (in most cases) are afraid of tackling the real thorny issues such as management responsibility, competence assurance, monitoring of customer satisfaction, supplier performance, etc...

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
83.7% of statistics (including this one) are fabricated willy-nilly...If document control is still a source of a high percentage of findings in TS audits, it has much less to do with the requirements of the standard, and much more with auditor behavior that tends to focus on "tangible", auditable, "black&white" issues. Documentation control, quality records and other few issues still account for a large percentage of findings simply because auditors (in most cases) are afraid of tackling the real thorny issues such as management responsibility, competence assurance, monitoring of customer satisfaction, supplier performance, etc...

Hello Sidney,

I guess the Pareto Principle applies.....
Documents/Records: The Trivial Many.
The "thorny issues" as you call them: the Vital Few.

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
It is my memory that the IATF Guidance document to TS 16949 was obsoleted even as a guidance document let alone a basis for registration.

Regards,

Dirk
Hello Dirk,

The "IATF Guidance to ISO/TS 16949:2002" document is still available.
It's the "Quality System Assessment Checklist" that was withdrawn.

Stijloor.

Hello Dirk,

The "IATF Guidance to ISO/TS 16949:2002" document is still available.
It's the "Quality System Assessment Checklist" that was withdrawn.

Stijloor.
I think you're referring to the Implementation Guide which is different from the original IATF ISO/TS Guide. The one shown on the AIAG website is the AIAG's implementation guide. The IATF one was withdrawn..........Confusing, I know, but that's the situation.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A IATF guidance to ISO 9001 2000 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
D Supplier ISO 9001:2000 Certification Requirment - IATF Guidance Manual Contradiction? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 13
T IATF Guidance to ISO/TS 16949:2002 ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 10
C IATF Guidance for TS 16949:2002 - Course Instructor says it's important ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 5
C IATF 16949:2016 Major NC pertaining to 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/verification records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
R How many process maps are adequate for a company for IATF 16949? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 6
A IATF Non-Conformance 5 Why IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
O IATF 16949 News Upcoming Changes to IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D Is IATF certification required when customer doesn't require it? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
A Laboratory scope on the IATF IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
V IATF 16949 GM CSR 10.2.4 Error-proofing requirement IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
W Minor NC - IATF Rules 5th Edition Sanctioned Interpretations against 4.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L Internal audits for IATF IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L IATF and ISO9001 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
D IATF NC Interaction of process diagram - Missing contingency plan Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 9
D IATF 16949 Clause 7.2.2 - On the job training IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
G IATF Remote Location audit timing IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 News IATF Performance Complaint Management System (IATF CMS) within the IATF Database IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
malasuerte Resourcing for ISO and or IATF? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
G IATF 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/verification records :Program/software verification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
L IATF 16949 8.3 Exclusions Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M IATF external audit NC closure IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D IATF 16949 7.3.1 Awareness- Supplemental IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
W IATF 9.2.2.1 Internal Audit how to determine risk IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
Q IATF 16949 8.4.2.4 Supplier Monitoring IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Implementation, establishment and certification of IATF 16949. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
D IATF mandatory KPI? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
xfngrs 3 year audit cycle IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
D IATF 16949 Process Map IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
Vader22 IATF 16949 extended manufacturing site help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J PROBLEM SOLVING - IATF and GM CSR IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
D IATF 16949 Certification and Letter of Conformance expiry (Help!!!) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
D AS9100 VS IATF 16949 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Ashland78 Need IATF 16949 ISO Gap Analysis Excel File Internal Auditing 3
J Internal Audit Schedule IATF Internal Auditing 4
D IATF Requirements if remote plant has no interface with OEMs who are part of IATF? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
G IATF NC - Contingency Planning IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
T Justification of "Design Excluded" in IATF 16949 Design and Development of Products and Processes 5
Sidney Vianna Job Opening in the USA - IATF 16949 Lead Auditor Position Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
Ron Rompen IATF 16949 8.5.1.4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
I Work Instruction Update- IATF Impact IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
P IATF 16949:2016 Letter of conformity IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
D IATF PROCESSES IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D IATF 16949 SI 10, External non-accredited lab IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
A Control plan for IATF - example? FMEA and Control Plans 1
J IATF CB Auditor questions Internal Auditor Competence IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 19
A IATF MSA study Type 1 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
S IATF 16949 - Summary at a glance Clause wise - changes from ISO TS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Azaarus Help with CAPA for an IATF finding regarding inspection documentation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
W Do Reference materials for IATF need to be 17025? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15